THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Thanks Muchfiddling. Fiddle yards do not often appear on RMweb but mine is important to the layout and must be in unison with the station. Also as my stock increases I will need more siding space in the area. Having laid the track as portrayed in the last picture we discovered that we had a intermittent short which of course brought everything to a halt and switched off the sound. Investigation showed that the second point had been laid with a slight curve in it to help alignment with the rest of the fiddle yard and as wheels passed through it they touched both the stock rail and the point blade. All my other PECO points had been re-wired before laying but as this one was of the later type I did not do this but just laid it straight in place. It seemed that by curving - even slightly - the point it had significantly altered the geometry and had slightly reduced the track gauge narrowing the gap between the stock rail and the point blade (opposite polarity). So this afternoon my friend Peter came down and we lifted the point prior to re-wiring  it and relaying it back in place. Hurray everything is now OK.

Off to Telford this weekend and on the way up from Torquay we intend to call in at the Gloucester & Warwick Railway and have a look round and hopefully enjoy a train ride before heading to our hotel in Telfford ready for two days of Guildex. Great stuff!!

Rod

• Like 4

Rod,

That’s an interesting observation.

I’m surprised modern Peco points are insulated in such a way that your short could occur. The closure rails should be bonded to their adjacent stock rail, and insulated very near to the frog - this has been “best practice” ever since DCC was new, and possibly even before - thinking of “insulfrog” and other dead frog points, in which the dead area is obviously as short as possible.

Indeed, my pal, John, still successfully uses a number of dead frog points on his garden line. Saves considerable fiddling with frog switching for a hybrid analog/DCC layout.

Best
Simon

Edited by Simond

Hi Simon. All of my PECO points have been re-wired with the stock rails bonded to theadjacent point blade and the wires underneath cut as per the instructions. However on this particular point I laid it more or less straight from the box after adding the micro switch which again was done as per the instructions.I think that the fact that we had to curve it slightly tightened the gap betwee the stock rail and the point blade caused the problem. If it had been left perfectly straight I am sure there would not have been a problem. Anyway the point has been lifted , the blades bonded to their adjacent stck rail and some of the wires underneath cut to make this point the same as all the rest and I am pleased to say that all is well. I dislike dead frogs even though many modellers ae quite happy with them so they are all switched as the blades change direction.

As all is now well I will leave things alone but will watch out for this problem in the future.

best

Rod

• Like 1

Well Telford has come and gone for another year; oh my how time flies. Howard and I travelled up with two 00 fans and we all enjoyed the show very much. On the way up to Telford we called in to the Gloucester & Warwick Railway and had a really nice day riding the trains pulled by a rebuilt Merchant Navy loco P & O line and she made short work of her train. We then went on to our hotel in Telford and out on the town for a bite to eat. Saturday and Sunday morning we visited the show before setting off for a visit to the Forest of Dean Railway which we again rode this time behind a small Prairie loco. Finally we set off once again for Torbay and home. What a lovely week end and to cap it all the weather was on our side. I have not looked at my phone pictures yet but I am hoping that Howard will post some of his.

Rod

• Like 1

Well Telford has come and gone for another year; oh my how time flies. Howard and I travelled up with two 00 fans and we all enjoyed the show very much. On the way up to Telford we called in to the Gloucester & Warwick Railway and had a really nice day riding the trains pulled by a rebuilt Merchant Navy loco P & O line and she made short work of her train. We then went on to our hotel in Telford and out on the town for a bite to eat. Saturday and Sunday morning we visited the show before setting off for a visit to the Forest of Dean Railway which we again rode this time behind a small Prairie loco. Finally we set off once again for Torbay and home. What a lovely week end and to cap it all the weather was on our side. I have not looked at my phone pictures yet but I am hoping that Howard will post some of his.

Rod

Rod,

It was great to see you and Howard on Saturday at Guildex. I had hoped to spend an hour at Bridgnorth on the SVR on the journey up on Friday, but the traffic around the Air Balloon at Gloucester and on the M5 scuppered my plans. 

Best wishes, 

Chris

The traffic on Friday was horrible. Our overall average speed was 39mph, meaning we arrived about two hours late for lunch. Sunday was kinder, we got back to Folkestone in just over three hours & thirty minutes.

My weekend trip to Pendon & Didcot in July was similarly blighted by traffic delays, as was a business trip during the following week. It’s easier & quicker to drive to the south of Paris than to the west or north of London.

Fundamentally, the M25 is no longer fit for purpose, if indeed, it ever was.

To paraphrase someone, possibly WS Gilbert, Professor Peter Trudgill or Malcolm Bradbury, “Kent is cut off on three sides by the sea, and on the fourth, by the department of transport”.

Mutter, grumble.

Simon

We had planned to visit the GWSR on the way to Telford last year but traffic jams on the M5 scuppered our plans then. As Rod intimated we did a lot better this time!

Here are some pics from Friday and Sunday:-

post-12623-0-93312000-1536013633_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-65851300-1536013768_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-86019400-1536013872_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-12986400-1536013950_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-90493700-1536014097_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-39706800-1536014182_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-19256500-1536014253_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

We had planned to visit the GWSR on the way to Telford last year but traffic jams on the M5 scuppered our plans then. As Rod intimated we did a lot better this time!

Here are some pics from Friday and Sunday:-

attachicon.gifDSCF2414.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2419.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2423.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2431.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2432.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2437.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2447.JPG

Cracking lines and cracking photos Howard! I do wish the 'steam railway' title wasn't creeping into preserved/restored/heritage railways' names, it's akin to MSM calling track/Pt Way 'the railtrack'....

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

At Telford I purchased some figures for my locos together with a LMS barrow and luggage from Detailed Miniatures. I have other figures by this company and have been extremely pleased with them (usual disclaimer). Here are some pictures of the figures and barrow.

post-13361-0-16355500-1536335868_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-82769000-1536335955_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-58110500-1536336032_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-37478200-1536336084_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 14

Last weekend I was given a present by one of my walking group of a Oxford Ford van. I have not decided yet who will own this vehicle but the station master is  favourite at the moment followed closely by the coal merchant. When I place it on the layout it will be decided. Here are two pictures of the van.

post-13361-0-93679400-1537026723_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-68931600-1537026764_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 11

Hmmm,

It seems to me to be unlikely for a coal merchant to own a van, he’d more likely have a truck or a dray, similarly, would a Stationmaster have a van? I feel he’d either have a small car (if prosperous) or a bicycle, or maybe a gentleman’s motorbike.

Wouldn’t the van perhaps be more suited to a small goods business such as an ironmonger, butcher, grocer or dairy?

It is a rather pretty little thing!

Best

Simon

Thanks gents for your comments re the van. However I do not see this vehicle being part of a "commercial" fleet. In any case in the late 50's and early 60's it would already be a classic if not a veteran vehicle so my thought is that it has been lovingly restored by an enthusiastic owner. The question is "who". I think that the station master or the coal merchant would be wealthy enough to undertake the restoration work but of course it could be anyone in the town of Ramchester. Thinking cap on my thinks!

Rod

• Like 1

My friend Peter came down yesterday and fitted the micro switch to the first point in the kick back area of the fiddle yard. This afternoon I spent a very pleasant hour or so cutting and fitting the track to the rearmost siding but have not pinned it down as yet. I will post a photo of progress on my next post.

Rod

Just a quick post to show the progress on the fiddle yard as promised in my last post. The siding nearest to the tunnel is laid but not pinned down and the two disconnectedlengths of track are waiting for the micro switch to be fitted to the next point and are just placed approximately in place. I hope to have these laid and connected up during the forth coming week. More anon.

post-13361-0-23324300-1537709276_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-31876300-1537709320_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 6