THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Had a great day today with Peter Crichton and spent the time talking technology and playing trains. He had with him a Patriot in LMS livery and a rake of LMS coaches this was a really nice train. He also brought along his idea for using magnets to couple 3 links which worked brilliantly (see his thread elsewhere in this section of RMweb). Something else turned up in the form of a class 105 two car DMU and another Jinty this time in BRITISH RAILWAYS livery. I took some photos of all this and will put them on as soon as I have managed to download them from my camera. Peter is also into technology and demonstrated how to use my ECoS command unit on a tablet or mobile phone. Lots of food for thought and thank you Peter.

I really enjoyed your company Peter and thank you for coming down to see me.

Rod

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, 

Thank you for a great time and your kind hospitality, I really enjoyed seeing Ramchester for real what a cracking layout and a standard I aspire to for my layout. I am pleased to have introduced you to wireless control and I am sure will increase the pleasure operating Ramchester.

I will post the pics when I get back home as it is not easy on my iPad.

Thanks once again,

Peter

• Thanks 1

I’ve not tried an ECoS, but I regularly use TouchCab on my iPhone & iPad with my Lenz system.  It’s very convenient to be able to control the locos wirelessly.  I’ve chosen not to have points & signals on the DCC system, but that would also be possible.  I guess the ECoS can do that too.   Great this technology, eh?

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Simond said:

I guess the ECoS can do that too.

It certainly can Simon, reasonably easy to get your head around and a useful addition, but I actually like to have separate control over over the points and signals, seems more tactile.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

As promised yesterday here are a few pictures of Peter Crichton's visit yesterday.

The first picture shows Patriot No 5551in full LMS crimson livery rounding the curve before entering the station.

DSC05846_(2).JPG.3059aea82d8e399003aef3a6161ec2e1.JPG

Sht waits at the signal and for the token to be exchanged before proceeding into the station.

1731280393_DSC05847(2).JPG.b7d0d771a6115594f7711e62f1611ecc.JPG

After running round itsl train of LMS coaches she is ready to depart.

584651557_DSC05850(2).JPG.9de8d9ddb5cf36347cd928a72c379319.JPG

Before doing so a DMU (class 105?) arrives into the departure platform.

479335628_DSC05852(2).JPG.26ae61cd0728e640a7872fabd0d07d6f.JPGDSC05851_(2).JPG.3c98dc061b8558b437e45221a24b87c8.JPG

More pictures next time.

Rod

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

It's a Bachmann Brassworks Class 101 fitted with a YouChoos Class 105 sound chip and I think that is where the confusion came in. I was going to post something last night but the journey home caught up with me and sleep won instead.

I am going to sort out the pics later including the video of you controlling the 101 with TouchCab.

Peter

Edited by Savoyard
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, railwayrod said:

Nice video Peter.

Rod

Glad you like it, I'll post a couple of the other after I've checked them.

You'll be pleased to know you have been passed out on TouchCab! :D

My visit certainly gave me a lot to think about for my layout and the first thing I thought I'd try is banking the curves using the thin cork, it seems to look OK.

IMG_6679cr40pc.jpg.09e562ce721e498de673c36466cf8ae5.jpg

• Like 3

During your visit Peter the release crossover appeared to have a bit of a dead spot causing locos to stop or stutter. My friend Peter Martin came down this afternoon and he diagnosed a dry solder joint. He put this right for me and now all is OK. It therefore was my track that needed attention rather than your Patriot.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rod and glad to hear you got it sorted, the joys of model railways. The Patriot has been running OK tonight, I am just repairing the links on two of the coaches.

I fitted some lights to the Class 101 using some Digirails OO Gauge light bars, it seems OK except for a drop on the trailer car which I will investigate further. I would also like to add directional lighting though the access to the cab area is not easy so I will give it some thought/

IMG_6682cr40pc.jpg.4da18bb5d4b725ca6fde2038e4adf116.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

On Wednesday afternoon my friend Peter Martin joined Howard and I for another "get together". Peter is well into DCC and decided that I ought to be able to control locos on the layout via my Android phone. He plodded away and some 40 minutes later Hey Presto he had it sussed. I need to get used to doing it from my old phone but the advantages are enormous for me as now I can walk alongside the train and stop it where it needs to stop instead of standing at the control panel and viewing the trains progress through my mini monocular. He suggested that if I have problems in seeing my old phone I should purchase a cheap tablet with a bigger screen which should help. Time will tell but watch this space.

Rod

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This afternoon I had another visitor to Ramchester - Nick Leyman who is a local guy with interests in both 00 and 0 gauges. He is someone who Maggie got talking to in Sainsbury's and has been interested in railways for many years.He also knows several people who both Howard and I know so we had a lot to talk about. I took a couple of pictures during the day which I am posting here for you all to peruse. I hope you like them.

DSC05911_(2).JPG.8e7fbf2c616416fc56e403f81d334ac7.JPG

Class O4 diesel No D2227 shunts it's train into the milage siding to clear the running lines for the departure of the afternoon goods.

1805493540_DSC05913(2).JPG.5a35db003fb026a54b6daafe1b575ff6.JPG

The train having departed the shunter and the goods shed attendant share a few quiet moments before their next duty. Sorry for the picture quality on this shot.

DSC05912_(2).JPG.ea84c29a920c789dc537c2cbf9f2584b.JPG

Earlier both the lines Jinties had to pause for water ready for the task of sorting out the newly arrived goods train.

If you are reading this Nick I hope you enjoyed your visit as much as Howard and I enjoyed your company.

Rod

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

This afternoon Howard and I got together to further progress the layout and its stock. In a previous post I mentioned that Howard has been working on my BG and this afternoon he continued with this project. He has been busy adding the steps and footboards to the van which he made up from some parts in the original kit and a bit of scratch building. Today he painted these and touched up some of the areas that I had previously done. He also sprayed the guards cabin with grey primer so this will be ready for him to paint as soon as we can determine what colour the inside of a BG was painted.

In the meantime I embarked on a locomotive maintenance programme which I have more or less neglected for quite some time. I tackled the 4F first which has an ABC gearbox meaning that the wheels are free to rotate under finger power so cleaning the wheels was a simple task. Later I lubricated the bearings on both the axle boxes and the crank pins. It was then time to give it a run and it now runs considerably smoother than before.

The afternoon seemed to slip by and before we knew it it was time to pack up.

I will post a picture of the BG next time all being well.

Rod

• Like 2

As promised in my last post here is a photo of the BG which Howard is completing for me. It is shown standing in Ramchester's platform 1 minus its roof.

1066730155_DSC05921(2).JPG.c94d17a5a12d2bdc1a60ad02ea8acd3f.JPG

Still a fair way to go yet but at least it is on its way. We are still seeking info as to what colour the inside was painted, any information gratefully received.

Rod

• Like 6

Some cracking shots and video of the  visiting locomotives and stock Rod wonderful. This is surely one of the great pleasures of having visitors to Ramchester the different types of stock that can be found venturing into the area.

May I be the first to congratulate you when the next page of this thread is turned .....one hundred pages of absorbing reading indeed :victory: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2020 at 12:19, HSB said:

It has been repainted in BR crimson to avoid having to line it!

Cunning but I didnt think these ever wore plain crimson as they were treated as mainline stock (lined crimson and cream) I think? I've never seen one.

• Friendly/supportive 1