Newcastle Quayside and Trafalgar Yard.

Alex Duckworth

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently building a model of one of the Newcastle ES1's in 2mm and I'm thinking of making a diorama, or perhaps a small layout of Trafalgar Yard or the Quayside to go with it. I have the Hoole book and the two copies of Bylines with the relevant articles but I would like to ask if anybody has or knows of any other info on the locations, photos especially. I've had a go at searching the topics but haven't had any luck so far.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Photo of one of the locos in MRJ No. 143 page 122

Article on building a model loco & line drawing in Model Railways September 1975 page 446.

This issue is an N.E.R. special.

Photo here.

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/north-eastern-railway-electric-locomotive-no-2-trafalgar-news-photo/90760368

Kevin Martin

Edit for photo link.

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 1

From Alan Lewis's excellent site...

http://www.flickr.co...c55/3546423887/

That further links to Stafford Linsley's pics on the SINE project.

and a rather famous and often published pic...

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/JB3414-001/Hulton-Archive?language=en-GB&location=GBR

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

I'm currently building a model of one of the Newcastle ES1's in 2mm and I'm thinking of making a diorama, or perhaps a small layout of Trafalgar Yard or the Quayside to go with it. I have the Hoole book and the two copies of Bylines with the relevant articles but I would like to ask if anybody has or knows of any other info on the locations, photos especially. I've had a go at searching the topics but haven't had any luck so far.

Alex.

Hello, :) I found this,................http://www.lner.info/forums/newcastle-quayside-branch-t2311.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=7ccd11e4d38984a2de5d4ac56caca7ab

Regards....dt...

Edited by ferriesdover
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all for the replies, I hadn't thought about the LNER site (despite being a member!) but I've posted there now. The Alan Lewis photo is really useful, also the SINE site - I would really like to know what the other end of the Quayside yard looked like, although looking at the huge, curved brick wall and the cobbles I'm thinking that Trafalgar Yard may be easier in the long run.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

This any good?

post-2326-0-99723900-1326224128.jpg

post-2326-0-82043800-1326224159.jpg

post-2326-0-63455800-1326224188.jpg

post-2326-0-07829600-1326224207.jpg

post-2326-0-86934100-1326224243.jpg

When I had this layout I was going to work on it and collected a lot of stuff through RMweb PDFs and some pics.

I'm sure the kind folk that passed that on to me wouldn't mind if I now passed them on to you if you are interested.

I'll dig out my book /mag resources (or references) too. I'm sure I have the Bylines (?) mag with a very good article in it with good pics of Quayside. You can get back copies from BR Books of Abergavenny.

The layout is now in the hands of Tyne & Blyth MRC and they have some info on it too.

Drop me a PM if you prefer and we can deal in email if you wish.

Phil @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 9

I'm sure the kind folk that passed that on to me wouldn't mind if I now passed them on to you if you are interested.

I'll dig out my book /mag resources (or references) too.

Phil,

any Idea of the legend that was written on the side of the Quayside Brake van? Thats the one that smashed itself up in the Quayside yard after running away about 1963 and it's modelled in your phots above.

Cheers,

Porcy

• Like 1

There are a couple of Quayside shots in my Berwick to Newcastle Set on my Flickr

plus some aerial views including the west end of Trafalgar yard in another Set covering Aerial views.

regards Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

I now have Phils Trafalgar yard layout.

It is currently stored at the club rooms in Tyneside waiting for me to get time to work on it.

I recommen the Bylines article I picked one up cheap on Ebay.

Lee

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

<<any Idea of the legend that was written on the side of the Quayside Brake van? Thats the one that smashed itself up in the Quayside yard after running away about 1963>>.

shunt with care?

couldn't resist that one Porcy

Duncan

<<any Idea of the legend that was written on the side of the Quayside Brake van? Thats the one that smashed itself up in the Quayside yard after running away about 1963>>.

shunt with care?

couldn't resist that one Porcy

I've only got three things to say to that…

1)   You could have resisted harder…

2)   Learn to use the reply button properly…

3a) :blum:

3b) Try your hand at deciphering this. I hope you can do a bit better than yesterday’s effort… of which you now should have a large image in your inbox.

I reckon, “Newcastle Quay to Trafalgar”.

post-508-0-38549400-1360806952.jpg

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Porcy, Lippy Lee is the man that has the layout. His club operate above Aldi in North Blyth. That's the best source I can suggest.

Phil.

Thanks. That's a T shirt I already have...  :smileclear:

BUT there is a man in Dublin.... that may just have the answer???

P

• Like 1

I attended the talk Bill Donald (the mysterious Man in Dublin?) gave to the SLS earlier in the month on the Quayside branch. He had lots of good photos of the yard, the locos, and the aforementioned brakevan (a couple of close-ups of the ES1 disappearing into the tunnel at the bottom of the branch with the brakevan in full view). I'm not sure where he got them from though.

There's another talk tonight about the Tyneside Electrics I think, but alas I have a football match to attend.

Arp

I attended the talk Bill Donald (the mysterious Man in Dublin?) gave to the SLS earlier in the month on the Quayside branch.

Arp

B*gg*r!

I used to attend nearly all the talks until I had to give up driving. Wish I'd known. I'd have tried firing up the old legs.  I must dig out his e mail.

Thanks Arp

P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I attended the talk Bill Donald (the mysterious Man in Dublin?) gave to the SLS earlier in the month on the Quayside branch. He had lots of good photos of the yard, the locos, and the aforementioned brakevan (a couple of close-ups of the ES1 disappearing into the tunnel at the bottom of the branch with the brakevan in full view). I'm not sure where he got them from though.

There's another talk tonight about the Tyneside Electrics I think, but alas I have a football match to attend.

Arp

Mysterious Man in Dublin?  LOL. I've been called worse I suppose. I'll be back at the SLS in Newcastle in early 2014 to give a presentation on the Riverside and Ponteland Branches. This will make a total of five presentations (about 10 hours in total) on the Tyneside Electrified Area (TEA) to the SLS.

Incidentally, the RCTS Newcastle Branch has me giving part 2 (of 3 presentations) on the TEA passenger lines. This will take place very close to the SLS one in early 2014. These RCTS presentations are very similar to those given to the SLS starting in 2010 - so if you missed them, here's a chance to catch them again.

I'd suggest you keep your eyes on the respective web sites for the precise dates which are likely to be late January early February.

Bill Donald

Dublin, Ireland.

• Like 1

I shall look forward to your presentation next year, Bill. Will these presentations be turned into a book at some point (or have they already)? You certainly have unearthed a treasure trove of information on the 'TEA' and its history.

On the Ponteland talk, will you be touching on the Darras Hall extension and the line to Belsay Colliery? That is a line that's always fascinated me.

All the best,

Arp

Edited by Arpster

On the Ponteland talk, will you be touching on the Darras Hall extension and the line to Belsay Colliery? That is a line that's always fascinated me. 

Disappointed as I missed the Quayside talk. Like Arp I'll look forward to the Ponteland "special". I hope to learn what the purpose of the loop, (which was eventually truncated into a siding,) at Bells Crossing was?

Bill: Going back to the Quayside branch and my question of post #9 above, would you be able to confirm what the legend on the side of the quayside brake van was please?

Cheers,

Porcy