My measurements...

The Nth Degree

Hello Armchair, did you see that reply as a rejection of your idea? Maybe it's the tone of my writing or something but that seems to be the default reading of everything I write by everyone who reads it. I haven't totally rejected that idea, in fact I had already thought about it as you can see from my reply above. I may well end up doing exactly that for my first loco to test the trackwork (RTR 04 chassis with kit body) as it will take me a while to learn to make a Fox Walker from scratch. However, before even that, I will make some stock wagons and vans to practice further.

I understand my limits and what I'm expecting and I've spoken to a lot of people about this. For example, I spoke to David Eveleigh before Christmas about his scratch-built Fox Walker and we hope to meet up later in the year. I email and speak to kit makers and designers, like today I've been communicating with Andrew Smith of Mathieson Models about his wagon kits.

I think (I'm guessing) is that perhaps you all think I'm going to build this loco as my first project. That is definitely not the case. It is, however, my main project - something I am working towards.

Guest Natalie Graham

People seem to be reading this thread with the interpretation that the sole purpose of The Nth Degree's project is to end up with a model of the Fox Walker saddle tank. As someone who derives mist of my modeling enjoyment from planning and building unusual subjects and thinking of my own ways of doing things, I think the point of the exercise for Mr. Degree, (or may we call you The Nth? :) ) might be the process itself as much as the finished article. Trying things to see if they work or not can be far more enjoyable than having someone else tell you they won't, even if they subsequently turn out to be correct.

Again I don't wish to sound critical, upset or anything else - just trying to be helpful.

My Farish 03 has a wheelbase much closer to the Fox Walker than your diagram suggests for the 04. A quick calc suggests that if the Fox Walker has a total wheelbase of 19.4mm, the 04 as shown on your diagram is only 17.4mm or thereabouts. I have just measured my Farish 03 and it has an actual wheelbase of about 18.5mm.

I still suspect the Farish 03, at least, is closer to the Fox Walker than you think.

Again I don't wish to sound critical, upset or anything else - just trying to be helpful.

My Farish 03 has a wheelbase much closer to the Fox Walker than your diagram suggests for the 04. A quick calc suggests that if the Fox Walker has a total wheelbase of 19.4mm, the 04 as shown on your diagram is only 17.4mm or thereabouts. I have just measured my Farish 03 and it has an actual wheelbase of about 18.5mm.

I still suspect the Farish 03, at least, is closer to the Fox Walker than you think.

18.54mm is the correct wheelbase for an 03/04, if modelled to 1:148 scale, as Farish do. It would have been 18.00mm if the model were to 2mm scale

Chris

Chris

People seem to be reading this thread with the interpretation that the sole purpose of The Nth Degree's project is to end up with a model of the Fox Walker saddle tank. As someone who derives mist of my modeling enjoyment from planning and building unusual subjects and thinking of my own ways of doing things, I think the point of the exercise for Mr. Degree, (or may we call you The Nth? :) ) might be the process itself as much as the finished article. Trying things to see if they work or not can be far more enjoyable than having someone else tell you they won't, even if they subsequently turn out to be correct.

There is perhaps a gap between those of us who view RMWEB as an aid to our modelling, rather than a substitute for it?

Chris

Guest Natalie Graham

There is perhaps a gap between those of us who view RMWEB as an aid to our modelling, rather than a substitute for it?

Chris

What is that supposed to mean?

Archived