My 141, any wagons to go with it which may cross over with english stock?

Richard Croft

Hi, I was recently given a model of a Murphy 141, It's a factory weathered one but I have added to it too and it's a great little model, better detail than most recent English stuff. My question is what can I run with it? I'm a british modeller so all my stock is modern English stuff, I'm aware that the Dapol pockets may be suitable but would these run with a 141? What else could I get that may be suited to both?

Thanks Richard

post-5891-0-86849400-1326220998_thumb.jpgpost-5891-0-72690000-1326221096_thumb.jpgpost-5891-0-30323500-1326221281_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The old Dapol/Airfix tank wagons are pretty close ESSO imported and regauged a batch of redundant Chas Roberts built 35t glw tankers in the late 1960s for use on the North Wall-Sligo and Claremor oil trains these remained in use until the mid 2000s.

These wagons were used for petrol and fuel oil traffic painting was similar to the British wagons light grey with red solebars and may eeven have carried tthe ESSO logo, but tended to weather to a uniform grime in service

p://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20T/Tivoli/slides/Tivoli_20110704_003_CC_JA.html

The most noticible visible change is the IE fitted a welded gusset plate between the tank barrel and underframe on most tank wagons.

John

post-7338-0-93644100-1326268677_thumb.jpg

Hornby timber wagon is a reasonable choice for Irish timber wagons

http://www.modelfair.com/acatalog/Img_9733.jpg

Kit built oil wagons as mentioned above

you could always have it towing some old planked wagons to their demise.

Sealion Ballast wagons painted yellow make a good rep of Northern Irish units, IE could have been borrowing them?!?, or Autoballasters repainted in yellow

Thanks for all the replies. I'm building up a rake of Hornby Seacow wagons so I guess If they are weathered enough it will pretty much hide whatever livery they are! The only Tanks I have are the fee type so thats no good, and I have no OTA's but Thats possible at a later date

Sorry If It seems I'm not taking my Irish modelling seriously, I just can't justify buying separate rolling stock but would still like to be able to run the occasional Irish train!

Richard

• 6 months later...

Richard

I note that you don't want to buy a special Irish set of wagons for your 141 but, at the risk of self-publicity, take a look at my Provincial Wagons (stick that in your browser, I come up first!) - off the top of my head - the CIE Cement van, the CIE Gunpowder van and the CIE open would all sit nicely behind your traction - all at reasonable prices.

To complete your train, you'll need a brake van, and there life gets dearer, as my hand made wagons (including a CIE version of a GNR brake) come at hand made prices. My next project - a skeleton flat with two beer containers for a well-known brewery in Dublin will be on the site within the next week.

Nice to see British enthusiasts discovering Irish railways - being a broader gauge, we're very superior! Mind you, the Blessed Oliver didn't build a Pacific for 5ft 3 more's the pity!

Leslie

• 2 weeks later...

Studio Scale Models provide the CIE specific 30 ton brake van, similiar but quite different from the Uk variants. It's a very straightforward brass kit that can be glued together and a donor chassis can also be purchased with it..

Check out the website for further details and photos under the freight section.

• 1 month later...

....being a broader gauge, we're very superior! Mind you, the Blessed Oliver didn't build a Pacific for 5ft 3 more's the pity!

I'm not sure the infrastructure would have coped with it. Dublin-Cork line only, I'd have thought, just like the B1a/800s.

Hi Richard, kindly check out www.irishfreightmodelling.com, much of the stock is perfect for your 177

regards

Tom

Tom,

Is that URL correct? I'm getting it as unavailable or does not exist and it sounds interesting!

David

Edited by DavidLong