Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

These are really brilliant wagons. I was so impressed on seeing them. If revolution keep producing models of this quality then they're going to be challenging the major players on a big scale very soon.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Thanks for posting the video - and the sound really brings the whole scene to life! Our club layout is DC but a couple of the guys have been slowly convincing me the next should be DCC, and feature sound units, and watching that has gone a long way to convincing me!

As to Revolution, that's very kind but for now our goal remains to look at items that the major manufacturers may struggle to justify, that will fill the gaps for N-gauge enthusiasts (particularly "modern image") and progress in a measured way without biting off more projects than we can chew!!

I think there is an ongoing opportunity for modellers to come together to make specific items happen in a way that they could not do before, mainly because of the way the internet can give us a collaborative community and a coherent voice.

It does require a high level of trust and, if I am being honest, a fair amount of ongoing work to drive these projects. Going forward I am hoping that the tankers will give those who have been wary more confidence in Revolution.

As long as we can keep reaching enough modellers to fund the development of different high quality but niche models, then we will keep offering them.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The sound fitted class 60 and 66's that were on the layout at Beckenham were Gordon D's handiwork. He will be bringing these to Tolworth show and if he does come to Wakefield, then they will be there too.

I have just one Super Voyager that is sound fitted but I need ot play with the sound levels as its not quite right at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a few days to go before the Tolworth show.

As the weather is now getting colder there is more demand for fuel so we may well have three tanker trains running, one will be the old Farish set, another my 21 wagon Revolution trains set weathered and Gordons Revolution trains tanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We had a good weekend at Tolworth with the layout. Quite a few rmwebbers to chat with. A good job that we had a full crew and on Sunday one more as this allowed me to have a good chat. The layout generally worked we with one SEEP solenoid failing but with the D connectors on each one its an easy job to undo two screws and unplug the wiring. Usual problem is the coils become loose on the pc board whihc causes the fine wire ot break off the board. A quick soldering job and then put back in place.

One of the Peco solenoids on the scenic side jammed Saturday and I couldn't free it but by Sunday it was working again. A quick look at it this morning with the boards on their ends and nothing appears to be wrong.

We had one of the Revolution trains tankers derail on the curves. Turned out to be a little bit of foam out of the stock tray had got stuck to one of the buffers. The buffers just touch as it is when on the fiddleyard curves (I use the short fixed Dapol knuckles). After removing the foam they ran well the rest of the weekend.

Thanks to Jeff mike, Gordon D, Hawkingetyppd and Big P for helping this weekend.

We had the layout loaded into the car and departing the venue 36 minutes after the show closed.

Now looking forward to this weekends show in Wakefield.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed watching for a bit on Saturday, the EWS TEAs look great, really impressed with the sound fitted Colas 66 too, sound in N definitely a very viable prospect now. Which decoders are they? Presume they're Farish 66s?

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed watching for a bit on Saturday, the EWS TEAs look great, really impressed with the sound fitted Colas 66 too, sound in N definitely a very viable prospect now. Which decoders are they? Presume they're Farish 66s?

They are Gordons 66's and 60 with sound. I know he has Youchoos Zimo decoders and sugar cube speaker in some if not all of them.

The only sound fitted item that I have is the Dapol Voyager. That has a Youchoos Zimo decoder in it. It still needs a bit of tweaking though.

• RMweb Gold

As we had plenty of crew, we had our DBS driver Big P, shunt the sidings for a good part of Sunday. Its the first time that we have had an operator do so for a whole operating session as its normally been just a few moves in between running on of the mainlines.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is the repurposing of NMT power cars based on a prototypical example?!

The flashing tail lamps are excellent in use too, very impressive.

Our late friend Graham had a complete NMT train built using Electra graphics sides. However when his estate was disposed of we got most of his N scale stock but unfortunately the NMT went into auction and we missed out on getting it.

Phils HST power cars are all he has at the moment so a little bit of freelance to enable them to run.

• RMweb Premium

Is the repurposing of NMT power cars based on a prototypical example?!

The flashing tail lamps are excellent in use too, very impressive.

The nmt power cars has some inspiration in reality. At one point network rail borrowed a midland mainline rake of mk3 to do some tests with its power cars. I have taken some artistic license using arriva xc coaches instead of midland mainline ones which I run at home and which Ian was

"They are Gordons 66's and 60 with sound. I know he has Youchoos Zimo decoders and sugar cube speaker in some if not all of them."

Almost correct, they do have zimo sound decoders (MX648) and sugar cube speakers, but they are are loaded with Digitrains Activedrive sound files.

Gordon_D.

• RMweb Gold

C

"They are Gordons 66's and 60 with sound. I know he has Youchoos Zimo decoders and sugar cube speaker in some if not all of them."

Almost correct, they do have zimo sound decoders (MX648) and sugar cube speakers, but they are are loaded with Digitrains Activedrive sound files.

Gordon_D.

close but not quite there!

Edited by roundhouse