Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Even when I was doing my best distracting him Ian kept operating :)

I had space to crouch down for the eye level view for the first time, and a no longer dodgy knee, and it captures the space and realism superbly. I've only done the helicopter view before but can recommend waiting for a clear spot to get down to near eye level.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul. You picked the better day to be able to do that as Saturday was busy virtually all day.

I have often thought of raising the layout to give a better view. However the longer legs wouldnt fit in the car plus it would be harder for us to operate as we can only just see over the backscene and have to lean forward to see the loop platform 1. The layout behind us was at a good viewing height but standing on boxes to operate all weekend we wouldnt find particularly enjoyable.

Yes they asked if they could film and as anyone using a video camera, normally spells mishaps we were running very slowly so they didnt film for long. I havent seen the video though.

You got a few seconds coverage - enough for me to clearly recognise the layout. All looked to be running well :)

• RMweb Gold

A video from 2012 showing Virgin diversions including a the Prentendolino plus three Voyagers (towards the end of the video) similar to the set Gordon had running at the weekend.

And another

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As the layout is not due out for  over three weeks, tonught I decided to commence the long talked about extra track in the fiddleyard. Whilst Banbury is now seven years old and no doubt will be getting to the end of its show life in the not too distant future, the fiddleyard will be used on future layouts so its worth do the various the upgrades that I have planned for it.

Currently there are 10 fiddleyard tracks, 5 in each direction. A while ago crossovers were installed at one end to link tracks 5 and 6 so that the FGW HST diversions and the terminating FGW class 165 DMU could be accommodated but this takes up one of the 5 Birmingham bound tracks so we dont often set up the HST and the 165 needs to be removed from the fiddleyard when not in use.

So the plan is to add track 11 on a spare part of the fiddleyard boards thus allowing track 6 to become the reversible line. Luckily the way the route settings are programmed there is capacity to add the two extra turnouts for the new track 11 but the crossovers from track 5 to track 6 will remain manual for now.

Tonight the cork has been laid on the first fiddleyard board ready for the turnouts and track to be laid in the next few evenings.

Once this extra track is in place I hope to install the first block detection unit, a Digikeijs dr4088 which I have had for over a year. If this works well then I hope to install more of them in the fiddleyard prior to the next show to really test the block detection and after that I will install them on the scenic area. This will then allow better signal operation which at the moment is manually controlled but often we are too busy or distracted to actually use the signals properly.

Just one photo tonight before the cork was laid.

post-1557-0-19317000-1517952254_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Finally got round to it!

Gordon D

New track 11 now laid and ready for wiring.

I have removed one set of crossovers between tack 5 and 6. These will go at the other end of the fiddleyard but may not be in place for the next show.

I am still debating where to fit the first block detection unit as that may require a new 37 way D connector wiring up but that will depend on how quickly I complete the wring on the new track 11 and wiring the new turnout solenoids.

• RMweb Gold

New track 11 now laid and ready for wiring.

I have removed one set of crossovers between tack 5 and 6. These will go at the other end of the fiddleyard but may not be in place for the next show.

I am still debating where to fit the first block detection unit as that may require a new 37 way D connector wiring up but that will depend on how quickly I complete the wring on the new track 11 and wiring the new turnout solenoids.

JFDI :jester:

• RMweb Gold

There was progress over the weekend although nothing excting on the scenic side.

Two solenoids fitted with one end of the fiddleyard fully wired so just awaiting setting up the fiddleyard boads and testing then progamming the new track 11 routing one evening this week.

With just under two weeks before the Preston show and a busy weekend  in between it will be tight but I should get the block detection unit in place on one of the boards so that we can really test it at the show prior to installing more of them.

I have marked in marker pen either side of the reversible trakc 6 so that we can easily differentiate it to the other tracks. Hopefully this will still be visible when the tracks are full of stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I am generally keeping stock to suit the layout circa 2011, I have a class 68 in Chiltern livery in the post. I also have the Electra Graphics mk 3 plug door vinyls but yet need to modify Farish mk 3s, so we will be using this new loco on the Banbury set at the next show.

A successful evening yesterday saw most of the fiddleyard modifications tested and the new track 11 route set up using the Digikeijs dr5000 and JMRI to programme the Digitrax DS64 stationary decoders. Just one turnout to complete the wiring in the next few days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Due to the weather forecast the Preston show has been cancelled so it will a be a while longer before the modified fiddleyard gets put to good use.

I may even have block detection working in the whole fiddleyard aswell.

Next outing for the layout is now in October

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Was looking through some videos I had taken of Banbury back in January 2015.

Thought i’d upload them.

This I an exact transcription of the post I put on my own layout feed at the time. Thought it was worth posting it on Banbury feed too

Have been having a good weekend this weekend so far. Havent done any work to Pennymouse but have been to the Canterbury Model Railway Show. Ive take some pictures and videos.

Here to start off are the videos i took of the excellent n gauge layout Banbury

I have edited them and put them together into 7 approximately 2-3 minutes videos

video 1 - Arriva Trains Wales arrives and leaves banbury, Western Class 52 rail tour pulls into banbury and fgw hst pulls into banbuiry to reverse

videos 2 - Freightliner 66 passes through Banbury on avoiding line whilst Chiltern Trains class 67 and DVT push pull set arrives. Then EWS 66200 arrives with MOD train before Modern A1 Pacific loco Tornado arrives and then leaves Banbury on a railtour.

video 3 - Colas class 66 passes through banbury with 15 autoballasters. The a GBRF coal train passes through in the opposite direction. Then an Arriva CrossCountry voyager arrives at Banbury. This is then followed by DB Schenker class 67 Keith Heller on push-pull service. Both trains then depart

video 4 - A Freightlner class 70 passes through Banbury on a container service followed by a First Great Western HST reversing out of banbury. Then a Chiltern Trains Class 67 and mk3 DVT arrives followed by 66200 leaving with its MOD train

Video 5 - A Doubleheaded GBRF class 66 coal train passes through Banbury (66701 and 66720 (day and night 66)) followed in the opposite direction by DB Schenker Class 60 'switch on safety' on a rake of tea's tanks. After this a doubleheaded Chiltern Trains DMU arrives. This is then passed in the opposite direction by a network rail mpv

Video 6 - An Arriva Class 67 and MK3 DVT push-pull set arrives at banbury whilst a gbrf doubleheaded coal train passes through slowly followed by the arrival of a First Great Western HST and departing from Banbury a Western Hydraulic Class 52 in Maroon livery on a railtour

Video 7 - Fastline freight class 66 on coal train passes through Banbury followed by Colas Rail class 66 on another autoballaster train

Edited by GWRPhil
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil.

Seems odd not having Banbury set up for some months. It won’t be exhibited till October first in Fareham thenwhen you will be helping at the Taunton show.

I do hope to set it up beforehand for a few tweaks though.

• Like 1

Hi all

Great to see some action on this Layout I've missed the updates but I guess if its as been out of service lol that would be the reason. Great YouTube Clips.

Hope all is well...

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Taunton Show looks like being quite an N gauge fest this year with Banbury, Marsh Chipping, Midford, Stapleforth St Stephens Knuddelstein and my Little Aller Junction. I feel very honoured to be in such company and am really looking forward to this show.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes definitely lokking forward to Taunton show. It's been a few years since we took a layout there.

we will have Pendolinos on diversion with Thunderbirds on tbe front.

I know this isn't prototypical but rule 1 will apply for a while.

• Like 2

Yes definitely lokking forward to Taunton show. It's been a few years since we took a layout there.

I’ll just be running Hydraulics, plus a Brush 4.

• RMweb Premium

It’s always best to apply rule one at all times isn’t it?!