Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

12 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Morning all!

winding back the clock a little at Banbury. Enjoy!

best regards,

Jeremy

Thank you for posting the video, it brings back memories sitting in my Mini Cooper on the bay car park "copping" the many of these.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

An interesting aspect of this period was the sheer variety of coaching stock on cross country routes through Banbury - Mk1s, Mk2s of practically all types plus all sorts of vans - and in various liveries.  I'm not sure why this was - it seemed cross country services got whatever was left over.

Plus between 1988 - 1990 there seemed to be a wide variety of 47s on these - and not always eth either!   

Great layout btw - perhaps one of the best n gauge layouts ever made.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Fezza.

Numerous people have said that I should back date it to those days of loco hauled cross country but it would mean a lot of changes to the layout but you never know.

Just one show this year and as I have had cancelled shows for November (other layouts) I am not holding my breath. However I have just had an email confirming a show for February 2021 if anything returns to a near normal and they have a provisional date to move the show to May if need be. I will mention more nearer the time but it will be good to be able to get the layout back out at shows again especially as next year it will be 10 years old.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been some months since my last post. The layout has not been set up for over a year now but hoping to do do in the near future.

In the mean time I have started to weather the new Revolution IPA car carriers. Just one out of eight pairs that I have has been weathered . The rest will follow in the next few days. I am tempted to put vehicles in them but I have only seen  them run empty through Banbury. Once weathered I will add the resistors to one Axle per pair to trigger the block detection on the layout.

20201026_151013-picsay.jpg.43d0cc92d8c50952d44fec5ffa63dce1.jpg

Also on the workbench is the Revolution KUA's. Whilst I am not aware of thrm having run through Banbury I could not resist these. Once the weathering has dried they eill get a coat of Dullcote to dull down the shiny covers as per a photo that I have seen taken at Totnes. One thing that I have noticed is that the tiny yellow lifting lugs fall off cery easily and I have one missing. Luckily the others I found on the workbench. All of thrm have been strengthened with a touch of superglue. The end grab rails on the covers will also be treated the same way after the masking tape pulled some of them out but luckily remained attached to the tape. Superb vehicles though but anyone who has these, just be careful with them.

20201026_151053-picsay.jpg.d2454b3d27bb4ae54e7caa7d8bb3081e.jpg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

It's been some months since my last post. The layout has not been set up for over a year now but hoping to do do in the near future.

In the mean time I have started to weather the new Revolution IPA car carriers. Just one out of eight pairs that I have has been weathered . The rest will follow in the next few days. I am tempted to put vehicles in them but I have only seen  them run empty through Banbury. Once weathered I will add the resistors to one Axle per pair to trigger the block detection on the layout.

20201026_151013-picsay.jpg.43d0cc92d8c50952d44fec5ffa63dce1.jpg

Also on the workbench is the Revolution KUA's. Whilst I am not aware of thrm having run through Banbury I could not resist these. Once the weathering has dried they eill get a coat of Dullcote to dull down the shiny covers as per a photo that I have seen taken at Totnes. One thing that I have noticed is that the tiny yellow lifting lugs fall off cery easily and I have one missing. Luckily the others I found on the workbench. All of thrm have been strengthened with a touch of superglue. The end grab rails on the covers will also be treated the same way after the masking tape pulled some of them out but luckily remained attached to the tape. Superb vehicles though but anyone who has these, just be careful with them.

20201026_151053-picsay.jpg.d2454b3d27bb4ae54e7caa7d8bb3081e.jpg

Feb 15th 2019.
68033 and 88002 took one KUA and a pair of support coaches in to Bicester MOD for storage. 

DA2FCE6B-0BF9-43D0-A6BC-17B4CB9FB6A4.jpeg

772B04BF-03BA-4AE6-95F4-9A175B28DB60.jpeg

44781559-8FFB-4B0D-9C05-809A9199CD7B.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, alibuchan said:

Feb 15th 2019.
68033 and 88002 took one KUA and a pair of support coaches in to Bicester MOD for storage. 

DA2FCE6B-0BF9-43D0-A6BC-17B4CB9FB6A4.jpeg

772B04BF-03BA-4AE6-95F4-9A175B28DB60.jpeg

44781559-8FFB-4B0D-9C05-809A9199CD7B.jpeg

Excellent, although a few years later than I have  modelled the station but still great to see. Now I just require an extra DRS mk2 and an 88:D

Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wonder if 60081 ran through Banbury when it was in green.

Today this loco has been on the workbench. I forgot that it had a missing axle gear after one split. Luckily I had one spare left so now this loco can pull a train again. I have also taken the opportunity to install the snow Plough cowling. The front one has been fitted as supplied but the rear one has been modified to allow the coupling to pass through. It will get another test on the High Line shed circuit that was installed recently.

20201130_133500-picsay.jpg.08a2999d15691ec32a9a38cfbb24b830.jpg

20201130_133508-picsay.jpg.9eb75a0426764a5ed039b9cffbfb9ccc.jpg

Also on the workbench are the Revolution IPA car carriers. These are having resistors fitted on one axle per set to trigger the block detection on Banbury

20201130_133438-picsay.jpg.c6beae2ded577833ad2e90a13ce89aaa.jpgWith the layout having not been set up since September last year at its last show the High Line has been very useful for testing various stock, not just N scale. The layout was due out early next year but that show is now cancelled so not sure when it will be out again.

I will be going through more of the stock to give them a service in the shed.

20201127_173622-picsay.jpg.ba86ea277c85a054944b1346c5634bed.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

With the IPA car carriers fitted with resistors and having had many hours run on the High Line test circuit I am now doing the same with the KUA wagons.

One is currently having a good run whilst the second one is on the workbench. I have decided to to fit two resistors to each vehicle. The whit line is added to every vehicle on the layout so fitted. This makes it easy to identify which axle is the one that has or should have a resistor incase one falls off. 

20201203_160407-picsay.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, roundhouse said:

The layout is now 10 years old. it was commenced aound Christmas 2010 with its first show in October 2011 in Barrow In Furness.

With no shows for the foreseable future, I set the layout up back in late December 2020 to give it a good test and to run some new rolling stock, in particular the Revolution nuclear waste wagons and IPA car carriers.

It was good to give the layout a run with no faults despite being stored since its last show back in September 2019. I am hoping to set it up again when fellow operators are allowed to visit, hopefully this Summer when I extend the shed patio and put a coverd pagoda up with plenty of space for us to walk around it.

Here are a few photos from that running session.

BanburyNscale2020 (5).jpg

BanburyNscale2020 (12).jpg

BanburyNscale2020 (17).jpg

BanburyNscale2020 (20).jpg

Great photos. Love the nuclear wagons. They look really good. How do they run?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Very good runners both on the layout and high level test circuit in the shed.

That’s cool. They look like really good models. Have you got any videos of them running?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, GWRPhil said:

That’s cool. They look like really good models. Have you got any videos of them running?

Just a short clip.

Uploaded whilst sitting in the car waiting for my other half to be Fpizered with her first dose. I also worked out how ot add background music on my phone but decided that this one was way too short to try it.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Just a short clip.

Uploaded whilst sitting in the car waiting for my other half to be Fpizered with her first dose. I also worked out how ot add background music on my phone but decided that this one was way too short to try it.

Great video. They look really good and work well on the layout. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the last few days I have been scanning negatives from 1989. Plenty of photos form places such as Blackburn with the overall roof and also my first trip across the pond.

However a few photos were taken at Banbury that I had forgotten about with some of the sidings still just abut in place by the north box. Its amazing as to how different it is today. Even the Royal mail ara has changed.

Banbury1989 (6).jpg

Banbury1989 (3).jpg

Banbury1989 (8).jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

After receiving nameplates from Fox Transfers, this Dapol Western has now been renamed Western Champion. It's received an overall coat of Dullcote to blend in the adhesive marks and a good run on the High Line test circuit.

It's now back in the stock box ready to pull an excursion train at the next show the layout attends, when ever that might be.

20210404_153524-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

I've seen a few videos of this layout and I've just spent a while reading through this thread, and my main thought is your layout is brilliant! Banbury is a station I've been to loads of times in recent years and your model of it is an excellent recreation. That Western looks to be a nice little model too. I hope to be able to see it on the layout at some point! :)

-Peter

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

I've seen a few videos of this layout and I've just spent a while reading through this thread, and my main thought is your layout is brilliant! Banbury is a station I've been to loads of times in recent years and your model of it is an excellent recreation. That Western looks to be a nice little model too. I hope to be able to see it on the layout at some point! :)

-Peter

Thanks

At present we have no invites for the layout as all the shows into 2022 that it had bookings have been cancelled. However I have no plans to retire the layout despite it being 10 years old this year.

Hoping to set it up at home in the Summer so a few of our crew can have a refresher session.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday the layout was set up for the first time this year on the recently extended patio by the shed. With canopy sails over just incase there was any unexpected rain and to protect from any bird poop from the trees above we had a good running session for around 5 hours with our regular operating crew. It was great to meet up as we hadnt seen each other since early 2020 before the pandemic.

Gordon had some of his stock out and with his Virgin Voyager units runnig I set up one of my Revolutions Pendolinos with a class 57 Thunderbird on the front.

Big P had his car cam to hand so this video was taken. I have photos that I will post later. We had such a great day that we hope ot have another day in the near future to have another running session.

• Like 11