Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Added another half dozen or so vids overnight, includes a double headed ballast and a 67/DVT combo.

That's all for a while, I'll add some from May 2011 at a future date, I'll let you know.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

heres one of mine from march last year

i was shunting the yard that day following multiple failures, blinking freezing, couldnt get home from there so ended up having to be put up in a hotel in banbury for the night!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos:

The first one show the lcutter around the dumped bufferstops and sleepers. \just needs a bit of lighter rust colour then some long grass using the Noch Grassmaster system.

The secon shot shows the track next to the down relief platform. The turnout into these sidings at htis point is the one that has since been removed.

Ian

post-1557-0-49326900-1326962697_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-05061100-1326962733_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David

Yes that is very recent and certainly since our last visit late 2011. As i ma running WSMR trains i will leave it as I built it for now but wouldnt be too difficult to change.

Shots of the new windows at the rear of the obx very usefull. can you rmember when they changed them - i think you said it was osme time in 2011.

regards

Ian

Thanks David

Yes that is very recent and certainly since our last visit late 2011. As i ma running WSMR trains i will leave it as I built it for now but wouldnt be too difficult to change.

Shots of the new windows at the rear of the obx very usefull. can you rmember when they changed them - i think you said it was osme time in 2011.

regards

Ian

Not off hand I will ask the signallers (sorry, SIGNALMEN!) tomorrow.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i think they are shore supplies for the coaching stock, i'll ask the question next week when im back in work (if im in banbury i'll get some pics for you

Thanks. Thats what i was thinking they were. I have photos but haven't zoomed in on one close enough when taking the shots to read what the dials say on them.

Ian

Guest 40-something

Very very very nice layout Ian, thanks for sharing on here.

I thought it was 4mm at first. I do think N Gauge is the best for modelling the modern scene.

Looking forward to more updates!

I thought it was 4mm at first. I do think N Gauge is the best for modelling the modern scene.

I think it's because so many modern trains are long - apart from the odd rural passenger service of course - and most of us don't have the 10ft spare for an express service in OO gauge, which is why so many layouts are either short "BLT" style operated in steam days where half a dozen wagons or 1 or 2 coach trains were the norm, or a TMD.

In any scale the majority of larger layouts are club owned and operated, which also means that buying 20 or 30 of any particular type of wagon becomes much more feasable than for the individual - and, as you've already noted, N is great for that 'train in a landscape' type of modelling rather than shoehorning something in to a space so it becomes overcrowded.

As you also note, Banbury is a fantastic example of "how to do modern image in N" and I am very much looking forward to seeing it for real at some point in the future.

• RMweb Gold

got a panorama making app on my iphone earlier, thought id give it a try while i had a break in banbury, basically you take overlapping pics and the app does the rest, well mpressed with it

c832fb8c.jpg

c7d2e87a.jpg

and a few normal ones

7357555f.jpg

cfa69934.jpg

7bfea2a3.jpg

bfe239b1.jpg

ffbfa9d3.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have just built the long red cycle rack shelter that sat next to the fence i the Royal Mail area and now they have gone and removed it... typical!!

However I am modelling it as it was last year!!!

Jim - I got your email but wont open on my mobile so will have to wait till I get home ot have a good look.

Ian

got a panorama making app on my iphone earlier, thought id give it a try while i had a break in banbury, basically you take overlapping pics and the app does the rest, well mpressed with it

c832fb8c.jpg

c7d2e87a.jpg

and a few normal ones

7357555f.jpg

cfa69934.jpg

7bfea2a3.jpg

bfe239b1.jpg

ffbfa9d3.jpg

Those top 2 pics prove there is a prototype for everything,those curves must be radius one surely? lol

• RMweb Gold

Jim

Excellent. Now I know what those yellow boxes are when I come to build them. I am guessing they are positioned roughtly central of each car on a 168 as they are set away from the black crossing and I am pretty sure the 168's are stabled up to this crossing. Hope to build those shore supply boxes very soon. The fencing along this area is now in place and painted but needs the grass and clutter added.

Will post osme more hsots when I have done this.

I laso keep meaning to add the sattellite dish fixed to the bridge abutment!

Thanks again for the photos.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Just received this book from Blurb in the USA.

Its by Martin Creese, called 'North and South - The Signal Boxes of Banbury'.

Those who havent come across Blub, they are an online book publisher where you upload your contents into their software then publish the book for online purchasing. When you purchase the book you can specify softcover or hardcover. They then print the book and post to you.

The book looks and feels like a normal well published railway book you get form the usual well known railway publishers. Some very nice colour and black and white photography of both inside and outside of both signal boxes along with a narrative on them. Its not cheap at around $35 including postage from the USA, but if you are into signal boxes or Banbury station then I think its well worth it.

WIll be very useful when fitting out the South Box interior at some stage.

Ian

post-1557-0-08290000-1327568494_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2