Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

hi,

Have come across this firm before and they have a UK website. The best thing is that you can preview the book and flip through the pages online just like in a bookshop. They have also done another book on the signalboxes on the Ely Norwich line.

Blurb don't "do" specific books, they enable private individuals to do so, there are quite a few railway related books on there.

• RMweb Gold

I entered.co.uk but osmetimes it defaults ot .com USA but today it defaulted to .com UK.. and thats on the same PC!

Anyway... the service form the USA one was very good and postage wasnt much different.

I have ordered one on Polish narrow gauge a friend did a while ago.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ddint do very much to the layout this weekend due to being up in the West Midlands drinking all their good beer.

However did managed to get most of the bracket signal that is at the north end of platform one constructed. Just needs the handrails and ladder adding before painting.

The signals wont be working for a while but it is intended to do so at osme point so this signal will be removable in order to fit the linkage.

Next up is the two new semaphores at the SOuth end of platforms one and two.

Ian

post-1557-0-61162100-1327913399_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Ddint do very much to the layout this weekend due to being up in the West Midlands drinking all their good beer.

However did managed to get most of the bracket signal that is at the north end of platform one constructed. Just needs the handrails and ladder adding before painting.

The signals wont be working for a while but it is intended to do so at osme point so this signal will be removable in order to fit the linkage.

Next up is the two new semaphores at the SOuth end of platforms one and two.

Ian

This picture is terrific, there is so much detail that makes up the scene, the cabling, TPWS grids, signals, lights and electrical boxs. The track and ballasting is well done too.

I see you are making more signals for the area, if they are as good as the one installed they will be top notch.

The lights on the platform. Did you make those?

Hope you enjoyed the beer.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Stephen

thaks - was hoping to get a more in focus photo but it was the best out of all he ones I took. When I finish the signal I iwlll try and get the SLR in that gap if possible. One advantage of modelling a protoytpe is that you can model dtright off the photo than trying to work out all the signalling and cabling.

The other signals aren't as intersting but the modern steps and safety rails will be a challenge.

The lights are brass rod and tube for the loer section. The 'lights' are made up of various plastic sections in one long strip then chopped up - they arent 100% correct but will have more owrk done on them at a later stage.

Yes we had some nice beers on our travels but not quite the same range as we have over your side of the pond (62 to choose from one brewer on our last trip)!!

Ian

• Like 1

In my travels around the US there are some interesting Brews here. Some places have a frequent drinkers card, it gets punched each time you have a new beer. Imagine there might be some sort of reward for finishing off all the beer on the cards, other than a stonking great headache.

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more done on he bracket signal. Holes drilled for the wire handrails and the signal partially painted. The yellow patch on the platform is a metal plate that covers the mechaical linkage bleow the platform.

Need to fabricate two catch points on the disconnected sidings as Peco do not do any in code 55 . These will be done using Atlas code 55 rail as the Peco code 55 rail would need a lot more filing due to the rail being deeper .

Ian

post-1557-0-36323300-1327997959_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Mark

Ok thanks for the comments and your offer.

I will bear that in mind. I have 100's of photos of the station area but may need some especially of the blue and grey coaches when I get round to altering the standard Intercity ones Dapol do.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I will bear that in mind. I have 100's of photos of the station area but may need some especially of the blue and grey coaches when I get round to altering the standard Intercity ones Dapol do.

I've got detailed shots of all the coaches, with and without the brandings, and all the 67s let me know when you need them.

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I installed my first Hex frog Jiucer under Banbury on soem of the carriage sidings. Just 4 screws to fix under the baseboard then two wires from the track to power it. next the wire from the frrog was disconnected from the Peco solenoid accessory switch and run into one of the 6 terminals left on the Juicer. Works fine on test so will now see how it works at Eurotrack before converting the rest of the turnouts as I am not happy with the Peco dual switch bases as they have not been as easy to set up as I had hoped (those that are working seem to still be Ok though).

A trip to Banbury tomorrow to get some more detail photos and shots of freight traffic.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I've only just found this topic, and I want to say how good it is. You've really been able to capture the feel of the station building and the atmosphere of the place. I can almost smell the coffee!

That reminds me - I still need some photos of the cafe up in the footbridge!!

The interior is to be modelled at some point.

Thanks for your comments.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A trip to Banbury tomorrow to get some more detail photos and shots of freight traffic.

Remember I have stills to go with my movies, I used to live not far from Wrexham so frequently photographed the W&S train there, including the final one, a sad night.

Somewhere buried in my collection I have a few shots from 1979 too, I used to go out with a girl from Marlow, to see her I took the train to Banbury and changed there for High Wycombe where she met me, sadly I think I only took my camera once :scratchhead: