Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A tiny little bit of detail that I have had for many months to fit has been forgotten in my toolbox has now finally been added. It's hardly visible from the viewing point but for me when operating I knew it was missing. I am not sure where this satellite dish either provides or did provide a service though.

post-1557-0-23772300-1542283093_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A good few days working on the signals and adding them to work with the block detection. All signals apart from the down platform 1 bracket semaphore are now working although I still need to get the yellow aspects working on the two colour lights.

A short video showing the up main signal in action with the Rake of Arbels passing. The lighter coloured Arbel set is one of two recently acquired against the 3D printed ones which will be repainted to match the ATM ones. These ATM ones are very stiff when in the curved hence just one set running at present but they are running much better than earlier after tweaking them. Now to dismantle the layout and load into the car for tomorrows show.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We had a very good day at the Portsmouth show yesterday. A very good venue with superb layouts and food. 

We had a good crowd all day veiwing hte layoutand generally it ran well although aving a short operating crew we ddi make a few mistakes between us. The ATM Arbel rake ran fine but one of 3D printed rakes that ran fine the day before when testing decided it didnt want to stay on the track and despite close inspection derailed a few more times before behaving itself for the rest of the day.

The block detection worked well with just one or two glitches that also cleared themselves but still more rolling stock to fit the resistors to the wheels and more tweaking of the JMRI software.

No more shows till next spring so that gives me  time to carry out further work on the layout and rolling stock. The layout will be 8 years old by then but its still got a fair number of invites to shows over the next few years.

• Like 3

A good few days working on the signals and adding them to work with the block detection. All signals apart from the down platform 1 bracket semaphore are now working although I still need to get the yellow aspects working on the two colour lights.

A short video showing the up main signal in action with the Rake of Arbels passing. The lighter coloured Arbel set is one of two recently acquired against the 3D printed ones which will be repainted to match the ATM ones. These ATM ones are very stiff when in the curved hence just one set running at present but they are running much better than earlier after tweaking them. Now to dismantle the layout and load into the car for tomorrows show.

Hi Ian

Is the yellow aspect an easy fix or is there a fair bit of coding to do?

Regards

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Peter

I am not sure yet as I need to have a clear day to read through the JMRI signalling help pages. What I do know is thta with DCC accessory decoders that I have for signals each address has two functions so a second address is needed to work three aspects. I can get the yellow to work manually but not through JMRI so far. I know it can be done. Will post here when I do find it

Edited by roundhouse

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A Chiltern bubblecar arrived in the post this week. I have spare 6 pin decoders but these now have Next 18 decoder sockets so will have to wait till I order one. Its had a run in and weathering has now commenced.

post-1557-0-19273300-1545229733_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I finally found the pack of ' Big Jims' from Modelu that I bought a while ago, painted them then lost the pack.

So two class 60's now have drivers in them sans legs to get them to fit in the cabs. I also took the opportunity to add the front valence on these two locos.

post-1557-0-08716600-1545339344_thumb.jpg

Also the C- Rail tank container kit that has been on my workbecnh for years is now complete and fitted to a container wagon

post-1557-0-66572200-1545339006_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy new year to all.

Banbury has a number of shows this year, one of the first is the East Surrey N gauge group and the N Gauge Forum combined show in Riddlesdown, South of Croydon.

So plenty of tasks to do to both the layout and rolling stock for then.

post-1557-0-87237600-1546442463_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new Dapol Chiltern bubblecar has now has a Zimo Next 18 deoder installed. The number 2 end lights didnt initially work when the decoder was fitted even though its a 4 function one. This is due to Dapol wiring these up to the Aux 1 and 2 functions, so a few CV value tweaks using JMRI and all lights working on F0 now.

I have also painted the black separately moulded buffer shanks silver and red to match the prototype. More weathering has now been carried out but i may alter the exhaust weathering as not 100% happy with that at present.

post-1557-0-84071100-1547731704_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have been going through all my N scale stock that doesn't normally get used on the layout and came across two Farish Battle of Britains.  34067 'Tangmere', was slipping its gears so decided to take it apart and found that a the nut holding the motor bracket to the chassis was missing. SO into the spares box and a replacement found.

So with the loco running fine, I decided ot convert it to DCC using DCC Supplies Digi-Hat which I have had for a few years. Its relatively easy but time consuming conversion. However, the supplied replacement insulated motor brush clip had too much solder on the wire connection and was binding on the inside of the driving wheels. So I used the original clip, added a wire then insulated it myself.

The Digitrax DZ126 wired decoder fits perfectly in the loco body. The loco is now runnig fine on DCC so work has commenced to detail this loco. Its quite a crude model compared to more recent models in N but just painting the wheel rims black hass already made a difference with more detailing including glazing yet to be carried out.

I will no doubt get some of the forthcoming Dapol Bulleids but for the time being this loco will be seen running on steam excursion through Banbury.

post-1557-0-54585400-1548172024_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Gordon. On this new setup on the forum I couldn't even Find my own posts, just Google searches on anything Banbury but the layout . Even my post on the new forum thread won't post. Didn't like the emoji then wouldn't let me delete the emoji so I could post it.

Anyway back to this thread, yes you were right but at least we have something new to show now the layout is 8 years old and still plenty of exhibitons to do. Shame that we can't do the Ramsgate depot staff day as its now moved to Summer when we are already busy.

Edited by roundhouse

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Phil

Not at present. Down to just four this year now as first one has moved date (see above) and another cant now allow us more than a crew of three which for a two day long distance show just isn't viable for us.

Our first show is now the N gauge show in Riddlesown (near Purley) then the Crawley show in Horsham in April.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The newest piece of rolling stock is the blue Chiltern bubblecar This has been fitted with a Zimo next18 decoder as per the green bubblecar bought last year and the CV values altered to get the headlights working correctly on function 0.

Also the internal exhausts have been added to the roof although hardly noticeable. The exhausts on this particular bubblecar were relocated form the cab front into the guards compartment. There should also be and extra window in the guards compartment but so far I have not added this. 

The unit has been lightly weathered and can be seen running at the N gauge show on 6th April.

20190329_092448.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, EWS FAN said:

Will you be attending any shows in the remainder of this year with Banbury ?

We recently attended the Haywards heath show. However, our only show for the rest of this year will be Faversham in September.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

We recently attended the Haywards heath show. However, our only show for the rest of this year will be Faversham in September.

Ok thanks.

• 1 month later...