zimo mx648f & ct cube speaker fitting to dcc ready farish?

BROADTRAIN1979

Hi,all, i have heard these fit snuggly in farish dcc ready locos im just a bit concerned as these are on their way back from digitrains with speakers connected and i dont want to blow them.,i know savoyard has said they fit but, has anyone else tried this? or has any helpful advice where they can be situated as i have two ....

37/47 sound. Any help would be great .

Thanks in advance

Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

yes it is possible to fit them to farish locos. Just takes a little bit of work.

I have fitted a 24 with sound, admitidly a loksound chip but i belive the zimo is the same size if not smaller.

I did remove the pcb to make more room for the decoder but i will also once its fully finished it will have indepedant tail lights but that as they say is another story.

If you go to the Rochdale show thread there is a video of th 24 in question. to see what the speaker sounds like.

hope this helps

simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I meant to reply to request last night and got distracted with other things. Here are a couple of pictures of the Class 24 and Deltic installations, the 37 installations is similar to the Deltic installation, I will take some pictures and post them when I get chance. As it was very tight on the Class 24 I removed the deocoder socket and soldered the decoder wires directly to the pcb (see below). In both cases the cab detail was removed to accomodate the decoder and speaker. I intend to look at improving the way the speaker is fitted, again I will post pictures once I have done it.

post-6784-0-41381700-1326282187.jpg

post-6784-0-58750100-1326282188.jpg

Regards,

Peter

Hi Mark,

I meant to reply to request last night and got distracted with other things. Here are a couple of pictures of the Class 24 and Deltic installations, the 37 installations is similar to the Deltic installation, I will take some pictures and post them when I get chance. As it was very tight on the Class 24 I removed the deocoder socket and soldered the decoder wires directly to the pcb (see below). In both cases the cab detail was removed to accomodate the decoder and speaker. I intend to look at improving the way the speaker is fitted, again I will post pictures once I have done it.

post-6784-0-41381700-1326282187.jpg

post-6784-0-58750100-1326282188.jpg

Regards,

Peter

Thanks peter thats great! well, as the 37 & 47 are bigger locos as with the dpi deltic which i also have, these should be easy to fit with the 6pin plug but...with plenty of installation tape as i know these speakers blow easy if any metal sneaks up on them.!

Many thanks.

Mark.

Hi

Its great to see this from Zimo and others having a go at adding sound to n gauge. Nice work by the way. I must say I am a big believer in removing the PCB and leaving cabs in the loco but each to their own.

Here is a Farish 37 I did a while ago with Leggomanbiffos sound on board. He has improved on it since then with many new features.

This loco has duel decoders for improved and a more prototypical light setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJCllAAm88

Farish Class 24 sound file by Leggomanbiffo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrC4Out2rX8

Farish Class 47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQbSFdLx4g

I have not uploaded anything onto youtube for ages but I have done 4 Deltics all with duel decoders for extra control of the lighting.

Cheers

Martin

Hi

Its great to see this from Zimo and others having a go at adding sound to n gauge. Nice work by the way. I must say I am a big believer in removing the PCB and leaving cabs in the loco but each to their own.

Here is a Farish 37 I did a while ago with Leggomanbiffos sound on board. He has improved on it since then with many new features.

This loco has duel decoders for improved and a more prototypical light setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJCllAAm88

Farish Class 24 sound file by Leggomanbiffo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrC4Out2rX8

Farish Class 47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQbSFdLx4g

I have not uploaded anything onto youtube for ages but I have done 4 Deltics all with duel decoders for extra control of the lighting.

Cheers

Martin

Hi,folks, I have recieved my sound decoders today Jeremy has soldered and insulated the speakers on superb job! I haven't tried them yet as too scared! these are a different thing to fitting a sound decoder to a farish coach which is very simple compared to the diesels. Jeremy stated i may have blown them as the speaker wires were too long and bare and almost certainly caused a short! So i have to take special care when fitting these to the locos. I could use a truck trailing behind ?but then that defeats the object? oh well, i will hang on for now and see if there are any more great tutorials with pics to help.

Mark. :scratchhead:

I'll say how I did it, but I do worry if Mark managed to short speaker wires by leaving too much wire exposed, if there are the right tools and skills available to carry out the work.

The CT speakers are two parts, a flat plate about 2mm thick, and a clear plastic box. The box is intended to be fixed tightly to the plate, otherwise there is no chamber of air to vibrate and create sound. However, the box need not be used as supplied..

One option is to reduce the box height, or alter its shape slightly to fit easier. Another is to build a new box from the body of the loco, this is what I have done.

I built a rectangular wall in the roof of a Farish loco with 40thou plasticard, some of the pieces are curved along one edge to fit into the roof curve. The speaker plate is pushed into this wall (leaving a curved chamber between the speaker than the body shell), and the speaker is sealed into place (blue tack or bathroom sealant works). The end result sounds very good. My installs don't keep the original Farish circuit board, this saves quite a lot of height.

- Nigel

Thanks chaps some nice advice. I will just test the truck idea first and when im competent enough will fit to the loco's as im a little scared of burning £200.00. like your idea nigel, can i ask? the back of the ct cube the metal part is there any way of insulating it?as jeremy said these speakers can short very easily if put near anything metal.

Mark.

Hi, I was testing the zimos today knock out sounds !! the truck trailing test seems to work, The sounds are like its from the loco so may stick with it for now ,until pete has some more tutorials. One thing though? the 47 sound was great and runs superb but...the 37 would not drive ?? I tried a different decoder in lenz mini silver and perfect no probs. Put the zimo back in and she still wouldnt move but the sounds were there? is there a cv to get the loco to drive or is the 37 not excepting the decoder only throaty excellent sounds??

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sent these ct cubes back to digitrains and decoders for replacement of the zimo cube speakers which are smaller and will fit farish much easier than the cts. The quality is as good if not sharper and crisp .Looking forward to their safe return . Also got the 37 running so pleased with that too.

Mark. :)

Archived