Farish Split Headcode Peak?

oreamnos

I have purchased each one of the Farish Peaks (from both releases) and have also purchased a couple Peak spare body shells from BR Lines. IIRC Farish did tooling for:

- Class 44 with side steps open

- Class 44 with side steps plated over

- Class 45 with split center headcodes, side steps open

- Class 45 with single center headcode, sides steps plated

- Class 46 with split center headcodes, side steps open, extra body side grilles

- Class 46 with single center headcode, side steps plated, extra body side grilles

- Class 46 with single center headcode, sides steps open, extra body side grilles

That's seven variations and a remarkable number of tools. But there is no split side headcodes version, which is actually my favourite one!

Does anyone know if there is a kit to modify the Class 44 shell into the split side headcodes version? I found a site called Etched Pixels which advertise an etch, but I am sure these would be too small for me to make. I'm really looking for a resin or whitemetal kit that just needs to be glued in place. I think Mercig was advertising a split headcode conversion as one of its bespoke options for the Peaks but I don't know if he is making the parts himself or if he is using a kit.

Alternatively, does anyone have any gossip on whether Farish will do its own tooling for the split side headcodes version? Bachmann sell one on OO, so it might not be too much a leap for them, and given how the most recent (2011) release of the Farish Peaks are showing some tool wear (the fine big side grilles are not moulded as crisply as the 2006 batch), perhaps they need to retool anyway?

Thank you.

Matt

Hi,

Unfortunately, the Peaks were possibly the last to mainline diesel be released without DCC/Lights/NEM couplings which may indicate that they are way down the list for a retool. A newer version should address the bogie width issue and also improve the pickups too. I'd like a split headcode version too but a conversion would mean surgery on the area of the model that is basically OK.

Peter

Hi,

Unfortunately, the Peaks were possibly the last to mainline diesel be released without DCC/Lights/NEM couplings which may indicate that they are way down the list for a retool. A newer version should address the bogie width issue and also improve the pickups too. I'd like a split headcode version too but a conversion would mean surgery on the area of the model that is basically OK.

Peter

Yes, I think you are absolutely correct about the Peaks being the last diesel released on the "old" non-DCC friendly chassis, and I don't expect a full re-tool anytime soon, either. But a full retool would be unecessary. All that would have to be retooled are the nose ends, as judging by the faint seam lines on the model I think (I could be wrong) the noses are a separate tooling that is fused to the main body sometime during the mouldling process.

I've never had any pickup problems on any of my Peaks so I am surprised to hear this has apparently been an issue for others. I don't think a kit would require any surgery, actually. A Class 44 shell would only need the top marker lights puttied in (there are no disks to remove) and then the split side headcodes would just need to be glued in place. As for repainting, on a green Peak, you could run the mask along the horizontal nose seam on the ends (maybe along the door top seam if one was picky) and down the front of the grilles on the sides. A Peak with FYEs is even easier to repaint.

The more I think about, I think even I could do this modification! I just need appropriate parts.

[Edit 1-year later: It occurs to me that the Class 44s have different side- and radiator grille dimensions (longer side grilles, smaller radiator grilles) than the 45s which had the split boxes.  As such, if you want to use a 44 shell as the basis for the conversion to a split box 45, you'll have to accept what will be incorrect side grilles from the 44.]

Matt

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a kit for the Peak which may have come in split headcode version. You might be able to track down one and cut off the headocde boxes.

Both BH Enterprises and TPModels sell replacement split box noses for class 37 models which you may be able to cut the boxes from.

Alternatively, give the Etched Pixels kit a try. At £2 + p&p you're not going to loose much if it all goes wrong.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi,

I think Steven B is referring to the PD Marsh kit.

I have modelled a plated over headcode class 45, using PD Marsh replacement nose ends - I simply cut Farish nose ends off with a razor saw and then glued the PD Marsh ones in place.

If you contact PD Marsh, they should sell you the nose ends only (they did for me, anyway). You get one of each type (plated, split, central & 44 - not sure which 44 it is though).

If you get into any difficulty with it, send me a PM. My spare PD Marsh class 44 ends are of no use to me so I'm happy to photo them and if they're useful, send them on.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I can guarantee the moment you finish it then they will release one. I am currently working on a 45 with the sealed beam headlights just needs transfers adding and varnishing so Farish will probably announce this next year :D

Cheers

Paul

Hi Everyone,

The acid test for the pickups on mine was the ability to creep over consecutive double slips which it was only able to do reliably once I had added more pickups. If the bogies were retooled for NEMs and narrowed it would make sense to upgrade the pickups at the same time - not that difficult.

My concern is that if a split headcode version is released of the existing model it will remain at the bottom of the retool list almost indefinately..

Peter

I understand your concern now. Given though that the body is actually very good (save the missing indicator disks on the 44s) and that all the retooling you are talking about is to the chassis and bogies, I'd opine that Farish would simply only need to modify the existing body tools very slightly in order for it to fit on the new chassis. As such, its investment now on a split headode version of the existing body would not go to waste later.

They've made existing bodies fit new chassis before. The 25, 31, 33, 37/4, 40, 50, 52, and 55 that initially came out of China all used existing Poole body tooling that was modified inside the shell to allow the old shells to fit onto the new Bachmann chassis. I expect this is what they will do with the Peaks eventually.

Matt

• 9 months later...

A hybrid version like you suggest would be a fine model but nowhere near the standards that both Dapol and Farish are attaining.

Given the Peak models are listed as Blue Ribbon by Farish I suspect an upgraded chassis is more likely to happen than a full retool.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of performing the surgery to convert a 44 to a split 45, as well as a 24 to a 25/0 using the etched pixels parts, what filler is reccommended for the filling of the headcode box on the peak and the disk holes on the 24? Cheers.

I'm thinking of performing the surgery to convert a 44 to a split 45, as well as a 24 to a 25/0 using the etched pixels parts, what filler is reccommended for the filling of the headcode box on the peak and the disk holes on the 24? Cheers.

I tend to favour something from the milliput range, always good and easy to work with.

I think it might be the superfine product, but I'm not 100% sure as the box has disintegrated!

I tend to favour something from the milliput range, always good and easy to work with.

I think it might be the superfine product, but I'm not 100% sure as the box has disintegrated!

If its' white, its' superfine.

Carl

• 2 months later...

I have purchased each one of the Farish Peaks (from both releases) and have also purchased a couple Peak spare body shells from BR Lines. IIRC Farish did tooling for:

- Class 44 with side steps open

- Class 44 with side steps plated over

- Class 45 with split center headcodes, side steps open

- Class 45 with single center headcode, sides steps plated

- Class 46 with split center headcodes, side steps open, extra body side grilles

- Class 46 with single center headcode, side steps plated, extra body side grilles

- Class 46 with single center headcode, sides steps open, extra body side grilles

That's seven variations and a remarkable number of tools. But there is no split side headcodes version, which is actually my favourite one!

Does anyone know if there is a kit to modify the Class 44 shell into the split side headcodes version? I found a site called Etched Pixels which advertise an etch, but I am sure these would be too small for me to make. I'm really looking for a resin or whitemetal kit that just needs to be glued in place. I think Mercig was advertising a split headcode conversion as one of its bespoke options for the Peaks but I don't know if he is making the parts himself or if he is using a kit.

Alternatively, does anyone have any gossip on whether Farish will do its own tooling for the split side headcodes version? Bachmann sell one on OO, so it might not be too much a leap for them, and given how the most recent (2011) release of the Farish Peaks are showing some tool wear (the fine big side grilles are not moulded as crisply as the 2006 batch), perhaps they need to retool anyway?

Thank you.

Matt

Farish are hopeless, just think of all the extra loco's they could have sold by producing other variants i.e. split headcode class 40 & 45, skinhead class 31etc!

Farish are hopeless, just think of all the extra loco's they could have sold by producing other variants i.e. split headcode class 40 & 45, skinhead class 31etc!

I think "hopeless" is a bit strong from my POV.  Farish did do 7 variants of Peak, after all, and IMHO I think that is remarkable.  I'm sure they've run the costs and (unfortunately for us!) decided the possible sales vs. extra tooling expense just don't pencil out in its favor.  The did do both centre and split hc (+ cut-away buffer cowling version, too) with the 37 and I'm hoping that when (surely it is just a matter of time) they do a new 40 they will do all three nose-end variations.

Nice split box conversion in post #10, BTW.  Did you use the Etched Pixel's kit?  I may have to give it a try.

Matt

• 2 years later...

Archived