More from 'Galatia, KS'

warbonnetuk

Excellent stuff! I feel you have really captured the atmosphere of a rural shortline. Can I ask what your inspiration was?

Thanks

R

P.S. I'm a newbie here so please be gentle..

Thanks for the positive feedback on 'Galatia, KS'

From a prototype perspective the inspiration for using GE 70 tonners came from the Modesto & Empire Traction shortline in California that used a fleet of 12 of GE's to switch a large industrial estate up till just before I visited it in 2010. The other is the Kansas & Oklahoma (and the other shortlines) around the Wichita serving rural Kansas. For inspiration I can recommend the one edition of Trains each year that specifically covers shortline operations

Modelling wise my main inspiration has been the work of Pelle Soeberg and Lance Mindheim and their books / MR articles

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

It does, thanks. My problem has always been too much inspiration; every shortline I look at has something worth modelling.

Is Galatia due to be exhibited any more this year?

R

Hi ya

No more shows booked for this year, nothing definite for next year at present but some outings likely in 2014 (t.b.c)

If anything materialises in the meantime I'll be posting my travel plans on the group for anyone interested seeing the layout in the flesh and chewing the fat on railroading and /or beer.

Cheers

Dan

The new pictures are looking good Dan. Loving the CF7, great weathering job as usual. :)

Hi Jon

If you're down The Space on Friday and the wife hasn't gone into labour I'll bring it down. Might even get the new Loksound installed by then

Cheers

Dan

• 6 months later...

Hi all

Just a quick note to say that Galatia will be making it's outing of the year this coming Saturday at the NMRA Winter Meet at Benson, Oxfordshire

If there are any RMWebbers attending would be good to put faces to on-line personnas!

Cheers

Dan

Hi all

Just a quick note to say that Galatia will be making it's outing of the year this coming Saturday at the NMRA Winter Meet at Benson, Oxfordshire

If there are any RMWebbers attending would be good to put faces to on-line personnas!

Cheers

Dan

Ahem - June 15th, Armitage with Handsacre Village Hall? Also known as TVNAM?

Hope you haevn't got cold feet, Dan, I was looking forward to seeing it there! :yes:

Hi all

Due to an upturn in business the Meridian, Pacific & Eastern has invested in some "new" motive power to suppliment the current roster of 70 tonners.

CF7 #253 is being pressed into service this coming weekend ahead of getting some TLC and a repaint after several years of neglect by her previous owner

attachicon.gifIMAG0139.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Love the rust Dan.  is it oil paint you have used or enamel based?

Dave - I was only having a friendly dig - Dan confirmed to me the other day he was still coming.

Dave / Nick

Apologies for any mild panic caused! :dontknow:

Tricky to post when you're in the middle of the office - both events plus attending Alton Limited all in the diary

Cheers

Dan

Love the rust Dan.  is it oil paint you have used or enamel based?

Hi Steve

Thanks for the feedback

Did rust using 4 colours of artist oils using the techniques on The Weathering Shop (see link). The specific article is the bottom one for the GT Article from RMC magazine

http://www.theweatheringshop.com/gtarticle.html

Been liking your recent work on the CF7 and SD50

Cheers

Dan

Very enjoyable Saturday at Benson playing with the layout despite some niggles with a couple of point contacts and the point control on the WiFi control. Didn't get the chance to take any pics but fortunatley my fellow Seaboarder Mike Hughes did

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikehughes2011/8380508994/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikehughes2011/8379430075/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikehughes2011/8379431771/

Now to collate that snag list to fix ahead of Dave B's show in Fareham!

Cheers

Dan

Looks beautiful, Dan. High standard right across the board!

Best, Pete.

Pete

Thanks for that

Still some more details to add and will also hopefully add a few more weathered freight cars ahead of it's next outing

Dan

Galatia is sure to be a crowd puller at Rotarail2013 in Fareham 27th April  (Big plug!) Dan. Really looking forward to seeing you and Ian and all the progress that you have made.

Sorry I missed you at Benson - Grandad duties held me back!!

DaveB

• 3 months later...

Like the ratty looking CF7 - there is a shot on Railpictures.net of an Illinois Railnet example with fresh oil all over the hood sides - I think it was a tad poorly.

Nice looking layout too , nice subdued colours, and the backscenes very reminiscent of Kansas.

• 1 month later...

Two weeks to TVNAM and still a few jobs to do on the layout.....

Installation of Frog Juicers still in progress but there is only one more point to retro convert (so not too much more sawing thro rail - hurrah!) while the wiring shouldn't be too much trouble

Also have a few scenic detail jobs to do, some remedial work to the lighting pelmet and also hopefully do a bit of weathering to add a few more items of rolling stock...

Dan

Archived