Westburnham - 1970s-80s / 1930s-40s

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

**Update** this thread relates to a former layout project I had begun, now usurped by another....

A 1970-80s / 1930-40s 'combo'?

How's that going to work then? Well, til I try I am not too sure but I am going to give it a go!

Having dabbled a bit with a 1970s Midland theme ('Spencer Park SP': see http://www.rmweb.co....n-the-midlands/) and with a loft-clearance currently in progress, I am moving forward with the 'big one', a roundy-roundy measuring around 12 foot by 6 in my converted attic:

post-10919-0-40861400-1326322069_thumb.jpg

As I was sorting things out I came across an invoice for the track and was somewhat shocked to see it was bought as long ago as Autumn 2008. All Peco OO Code 100 with insulfrog points. I used AnyRail to plot out a track plan, loosely based on Westbury.

This is how far I got (excuse the spider webs):

post-10919-0-35488900-1326322048_thumb.jpg

While Spencer Park SP harks back to my own Midlands stomping grounds as a 70s / 80s spotter, I don't think I have ever set foot on Westbury station, yet the West Country has lots of great memories for me as a destination (like many Midlanders) for holidays in my youth, and that meant 'spotting! So basing a layout on Westbury offers me the potential to run the kinds of locos I remember, plus a few I don't, but which all feature in my collection of BR Blue diesels, particularly Westerns, Hymeks, Warships, 50s and Peaks. (None of which really fit the bill for Spencer Park, except perhaps the Peaks). Plus there are so many great photos of Westbury in recent books, like the ones published by Strathwood and also in Chris Chapman's lovely little book, Western Glory.

This is the kind of scene I want to recreate:

http://www.flickr.co...tos/4403904191/

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=13178

That's the '70-80s aspect of what I have planned, so what of the 1930s-40s?

Well I have a great liking for the Southern and as well as amassing Blue diesels over the past few years I have been stockpiling various Hornby releases in Maunsell Green. That's what you see in this pile of boxes in the middle of the loft floor!

post-10919-0-26846800-1326322090_thumb.jpg

The plan then is to have a layout that can allow me to switch periods by having one station/yard set in the BR Blue period and another in the Southern. I remember reading in one model railway book (Peco trackplans?) that with layouts with a central operating well (like this one) you can really only face one way at a time (logical enough!), so in my case one way I'll face onto the 70-80s station and then turning around will be a 30-40s station - best of both worlds! I hope so. I do want a layout that is - in its various parts - plausible and which looks right for the two periods.

The BR Blue station and yard trackwork has sat gathering dust in my untidy loft ever since it was bought in 2008, with occasional 'sessions' over the intervening years when I tested out my locos. I now have the flexitrack bought that I need to complete the circuit.

The 12 foot by 6 circuit I have measured out to fit the loft, running around 3 walls and then across the room:

post-10919-0-42184400-1326322023_thumb.jpg

The boards I have already are two reinforced Sundeala-topped frames, one 6 foot by 2 foot and a second that is 4 foot by 2. These will be bolted together to form a 10 by 2 scenic area for the 1970s station and yard - the main focus for my initial project. This section is in the top part of the above sketch.

I see there is an N gauge model of Westbury with a useful track plan:

http://www.countrysi...ry/westplan.htm

However, I can't be so precise with what I am planning to do I am afraid - so Westburnham will be more a flavour of Westbury rather than a facsimile. The station (two platforms) will sit on the left-hand side of the board below, with the yard on the right - the trackwork will continue across onto the 4 by 2 board and have a facing crossover on the through-lines (ie. beyond the buffer stop). This addtional board will also allow me to extend the yard.

post-10919-0-62356800-1326322116_thumb.jpg

To make the complete circuit I plan to use 9mm plywood board cut into one foot wide strips. This will form the baseboards (supported and strengthened using 2 by 1 frames). The longer (12 foot) side of the circuit will be occupied by the Southern station. I don't have the track for that part yet but will leave points in place (off the 'mainline') to allow work on it when I am ready - probably in ten years' time!

Anyway, that's the plan - I'll update as and when I make progress on this but in the meantime I would be interested to hear of others' experiences of similar 'combo' layouts like the one I am trying to build.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the encouragement Adrian and Andrew - much appreciated.

Since I first posted on the project earlier this week I have - unbelievably - made a stab at clearing the loft and actually making some progress. Can't quite believe it myself!

So a few more pics below of the main boards now both in their proper place, and for the first time joined end-to-end, so I can get a sense of the size and what's possible. (Even the spider webs have been vacuumed up).

The Hymek and five Mark Is sit where the station will be sited. The assorted - and rather off-patch - group of BR Blue locos sit in what will be the yard, while at one end is the Peco Shed I originally made for Spencer Park SP, but left out because it was too big for my 4 by 1 plank. It still looks too big even now! This will be the loco servicing area.

I did plan - many moons ago - to try an AC electrics layout, and bought a fair few 86s/87s, but over the years got a tad frustrated with the general lack of British-type catenary etc to do anything about starting it. I do really admire those who model British AC traction (and DC for that matter!). So the AC project will have to wait - but well spotted Adrian!

Having looked again at the trackwork I had set out back in 2008 I think much of the Setrack will be replaced by my flexitrack to give a bit more curvature here and there. I am also now thinking I could extend one of the yard lines through - as an avoider - to link up again with the main lines. I can then run through-freights and L/E moves while passenger trains are sitting at the station.

I hope to get the rest of the boards sorted soon and then able to put some more track down to cpmplete the whole circuit and test it out - that'll be a momentous day! I'll update with any progress - thanks for looking.

cheers,

Keith

post-10919-0-19219500-1326485806_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-36003700-1326485849_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-64568200-1326485893_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-25676600-1326485914_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry I missed your reply Alan - but thanks very much for your encouragement. I can't believe it has taken me so long (since January) to move things on with this layout, but then again work and family commitments have taken their toll on my progress over the past few months.

However, a stint over the Easter hols allowed some time spent on completing a circuit of double track - momentous! For the first time (since I had a roundy-roundy in c.1979-80), I'm able to run proper trains, in both directions, at the same time. But before I get too carried away I should point out that the track is only temporarily placed and the boards need much more work to get them properly levelled up - as is clear from some pics...

post-10919-0-48609900-1339447458_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-13788900-1339447513_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-50309200-1339448188_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-18986800-1339447608_thumb.jpg

Since getting up into the loft to work on the layout is not always the most convenient, I have taken to working on specific items downstairs in front of the tele, as I did with Spencer Park SP. First job in this regard was weathering my Peco kit-built servicing shed, which I did using powders and dyes, and a little acrylic paint while watching Sherlock Holmes...

post-10919-0-96642900-1339447659_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-62518200-1339447716_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-78412300-1339447744_thumb.jpg

I wonder if I have over-done this dirtying a bit? I might need to tone down some of the staining, but on the whole I am reasonably happy with the way the thing looks.

Where next? Well I need to get back in the loft and sort out those baseboards to get them level - I am a little concerned however that the Sundeala board I bought (ages and ages ago), which is well-framed, won't stand up to the water-spraying used for ballasting of the track, having seen some comments to this effect on the forum. I am a bit loathe to cover up my bought baseboards, but wonder if I should invest in some 3mm ply to cover the whole lot, to even everything up and help stop the Sundeala from sagging?

I have also had second thoughts about the plan I had for having the station and MPD area both together on the same part of the layout, especially having seen in the latest issue of Traction magazine a plan for a standalone MPD which really appealed, with the depot buildings centred and in the foreground, and running lines behind. If I were to do this I could reposition the intended station on the opposite side of the layout, on the long section of the circuit. This would effectively rule out a dual-period layout though, as I'd want the station to be right for the BR 1970s period I'm aiming for - then again, I'm also slightly tempted to leave this particular long section simply as a double track, running through the countryside, as it is quite satisfying, when operating stock, rounding the curves then opening up the power along the long straight section!

Food for thought. I'll contemplate a little longer, but in the meantime keep on with a few kits I am working on for the layout - next up, the fuelling point from Knightwing. Bought back in April when I was in Sussex and visited Gaugemaster (great store), I really like the look of the kit, and besides the Bachmann fuelling point now seems to be out of stock...

All the best, and thanks for looking,

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks! I can't believe another year has passed since I last posted on this project, and sadly little has changed in that time as far as scenics and trackwork are concerned.

I saw this plan recently:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62708-layout-ideas-for-a-12x8-space-in-00/page-2

and like the look of the station area and depot. The curvature of the running lines is very appealing.

In the meantime I just love watching the trains go round and musing on what do do with the layout next! Buying some proper timber should be the main priority and finishing off those baseboards...

all the best,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

Well a little progress is being made... a year or so after buying the Knightwing diesel fueling point I have not only built it but painted it!

post-10919-0-73165800-1373657541_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-98141200-1373657568_thumb.jpg

Just needs some weathering and then it can be stockpiled with the other things I've been working on, ready for planting in the diesel depot area of the layout.

I must say I really enjoyed building this kit.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, I do need to get a couple of these myself. Nice to see some close up painted pics of them !

Thanks very much, and for your previous post too.

I do like the curved roof used for the shelter in these kits. There are some prototype shots of this style of fueling point in the book "Diesel Morning", which is a book well-worth getting (though perhaps a tad expensive air mailed to Ontario?): http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66327-diesel-morning-by-david-percival/

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I've had a go at weathering my Knightwing diesel fueling point.

Plain and simple: some cheap black acrylic watered down then applied with fingers! I find this a good way of varying the effect. Then for the really oily stains I poured on the watery-paint mix and let it dry overnight, leaving a sort of stippled effect around the pump unit.

It still needs some other weathering but it's a start...

cheers,

Keith

post-10919-0-45282600-1374175793_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-89820800-1374175808_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another bit of progress to report!

Having bought the Ratio 530 Oil Tanks kit last week in Chester (in the Modelzone sale) I set about painting and building it to go along with the Knightwing fueling point (see above!).

The Ratio kit went together nicely and I decided to place the tanks side by side rather than end on, placing the bases on a piece of foamboard.

Anyway, some pics below. I think I'll leave off the supplied transfers and have weathered the model slightly. I see now that I have not got the pipework right! Never mind.

all the best,

Keith

post-10919-0-44057500-1375471697_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-19611000-1375471649_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-69493700-1375471669_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-58009200-1375471685_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much to report except the arrival of more stock - the easy bit!

post-10919-0-23589700-1393661298_thumb.jpg

What's the prototype Deltic doing running on Westburnham rails?

post-10919-0-30527900-1393661331_thumb.jpg

Er, well it looks good.

And at least the last shot shows I am doing some proper modelling, with the water tower now complete...

I'm also getting more into c.1960 diesels, and with a green 10000 now on the roster there may have to be a bit of a period and regional rethink here. More procrastination.

Meanwhile it's great to run those trains...!

cheers,

Keith

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for your interest, alas little has happened on the layout for quite a while - I can't believe two years has passed since I was posting photos of my Deltic!

I've had plenty of running sessions over the intervening months but no actual modelling :-( but fingers crossed that will change over the coming months as I am due some leave and might even get round to sorting out the baseboards...

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks, I've made a small start on backdating Spencer Park, posted elsewhere, and worked out a way of building it into Westburnham in the hope of making some progress on layout building and modelling, rather than just buying more stuff!! I've got as far as putting down some cork for the trackbed, but keep on getting sidetracked, so to speak, running my new acquisitions on the roundy in the loft :-)

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nearly another year on, of playing trains and accumulating stock and stuff, and sketching how things might look...

post-10919-0-50285400-1489325263_thumb.jpg

But slightly in abeyance because a house move is possible in the not too distant future.

Cue more playing trains, planning and procrastination!

With the passage of time since I started this project I've rediscovered my youthful interests in the LMS and rather than just backdate my Spencer Park plank I've taken the decision to place half of the loft layout in North Midlands territory, sometime in the 1930s.

The revised plan is an attempt to accommodate these varied interests!

All the best,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

• RMweb Gold

It's not all pontificating, I've managed to make some progress on the turntable when I get a mo...

post-10919-0-00214300-1489354225_thumb.jpg

It's a Dapol kit, partly built, I need to finish it off by adding the sides and walkway fencing. I used an old cake stand as the base as the diameter is just right.

Once finished it will slot into a hole made in the baseboard.

It's a turntable style more suited to the likes of Guildford or Weymouth as far as I can tell from old photographs but it'll do for my planned loco yard.

It feels like I am making just a little progress on the build.

Cheers,

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

With a house move now on the cards over the coming months I'll have to wait a while til I finally get some proper work done on the loft layout. Thankfully the house we're planning to move to also has a converted loft, properly done and larger than the current place, so more space for the layout :-)

So meanwhile what's there to do except play trains and test out the lovely Stanier Mogul acquired lately from Track Shack at a decent price. What a smashing loco, amazing valve gear, so intricate.

Anyhow, with the house to myself for a couple of hours it's time to indulge a little with a running session...

post-10919-0-00878600-1492184300_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-59157500-1492184358_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-66986400-1492184383_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Keith

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

well doesn't time fly...?

the house move completed in summer 2018 so seems a bit odd looking at the pictures of the old house and Westburnham as it was, alas never to be completed.

so to draw this old thread to a full stop I am posting some photos here of the next stage in my layout lives, as I have at last cleared the attic at the new place, and despite its uneven floors managed to get in place pretty level boards, a major achievement for someone as bad at DIY as me!

the 21' by 8' attic was converted 40 years ago by the previous owners for use as an office, so it is fully boarded, insulated, wired, with velux window and stairs access :-)

once I have started work on the new (as yet name-less) layout I'll start a new layout topics thread, when there is something to see and something to say.

meantime, here're the pics of the new set up--starting with one of the timber framing, and then two of the boards, actually recycled from old internal doors from the new house:

IMG_20200308_113340051.jpg.9030114168a36d8b8d29a9d777b03f11.jpg

IMG_20200308_152437415.jpg.2e468c51e69d4aca134e1915271f7e5b.jpg

IMG_20200308_152451323.jpg.fb01d875f985fd86c23c0ed2d619588b.jpg

here's to the new beginning...

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
typo
  • Like 1