Bishopscombe 2 - a new start

Unicorn1

Cracking Pic's Les and I love the little stories behind them.

Lovely Layout.

Thanks Andy

I do sometimes like to imagine that there are some 1/76 enthusiasts on the layout! In fact the two lads outside the shed are glued to the spot!

Les

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Great News above Les, I've just got into a working Timetable, (still working on it) thanks to John Flann for his encouragement. I'm finding it very relaxing and enjoyable.

EDIT = To say great pics as well.

Edited by Andrew P

Great News above Les, I've just got into a working Timetable, (still working on it) thanks to John Flann for his encouragement. I'm finding it very relaxing and enjoyable.

EDIT = To say great pics as well.

Thank you Andrew.

Once I've ironed out the snags in the operating sequence I may well sort out a working timetable - and perhaps introduce some interesting traffic for the intermediate stations?

Les

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We left the last visit to the 'Combe with the branch goods being put together, now it's ready to depart, but the up local is the next departure, and it goes ahead of the goods.

post-10377-0-09619700-1462024506_thumb.jpg

The goods gets the road a little later and departs.

post-10377-0-39761700-1462024551_thumb.jpg

With the branch occupied by down trains, 4212 takes the opportunity to make its leisurely way up to the quarry.

post-10377-0-66351400-1462024774_thumb.jpg

Having collected its train 4212 heads back to Bishopscombe to reverse.

post-10377-0-93320500-1462024820_thumb.jpg

As the mineral workings are made at a fairly gentle pace, the loaded train is held in the run-round, as by now so much time has elapsed the down local has arrived.

post-10377-0-64924300-1462024939_thumb.jpg

Les

Edited to get the photos in the right order!

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 17

• 2 months later...

Hi Les,

Well, I must say, I've had such an enjoyable period of time browsing through your thread. I haven't noticed it before on the forum!

Perfect and plenty of lovely details and some smashing weathering too! Belting!

Sometimes it's good to have a bit of summertime background noise on, such as summer bird song whilst having a running session or just observing your hard work. That's what I do anyway and it would work wonders with your lovely layout.

Keep up the super work and...you have gained an extra follower! :)

Chris

Hi Les,

Well, I must say, I've had such an enjoyable period of time browsing through your thread. I haven't noticed it before on the forum!

Perfect and plenty of lovely details and some smashing weathering too! Belting!

Sometimes it's good to have a bit of summertime background noise on, such as summer bird song whilst having a running session or just observing your hard work. That's what I do anyway and it would work wonders with your lovely layout.

Keep up the super work and...you have gained an extra follower! :)

Chris

Thanks for the kind comments Chris.

I have often thought about some background sounds for the layout - birdsong used to be available on digital radio but sadly is no longer. I understand it is available on line, but I don't really want to start importing computers into the railway room! How do you get your sounds?

Les

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments Chris.

I have often thought about some background sounds for the layout - birdsong used to be available on digital radio but sadly is no longer. I understand it is available on line, but I don't really want to start importing computers into the railway room! How do you get your sounds?

Les

Hi Les,

I use the method of having the PC in the railway room as my work desk is in there also. I often find a birdsong clip on a well known video sharing website to have on in the background when having a running session or when modelling as well. I have considered having some sort of sound device underneath the baseboards with bird song to use instead of the PC sounds which would help when exhibiting. I think Nick, the chap who owns the lovely Much Murkle layout, has a sound device fitted to his layout. I actually forgot to ask him when I spoke to him at Stafford show earlier this year. It was either a sound system or else there were actual birds in the room or, better still, someone was making the sound effects themselves! :)

Anyway, Bishopscombe oozes that GWR BLT countryside atmosphere that lots of us crave for! Keep it up and the photos coming too.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The next train in the sequence is the afternoon mixed goods, as usual in the hands of pannier 9736.

The train ambles towards Bishopscombe.

post-10377-0-87262700-1470581188_thumb.jpg

After shunting the brake van into the departure siding, the wagons for the up train are hauled out from the goods shed road using the whole of the train, as the loco cannot pass through the shed.

post-10377-0-56220800-1470581411_thumb.jpg

9736 has 'placed' the wagons in the yard.

post-10377-0-46744800-1470581481_thumb.jpg

Returning to the wagons for the up goods, 9736 waits as 3736 departs with the next up local.

post-10377-0-45979200-1470581565_thumb.jpg

There is still some weathering to do on some of the newer wagons on Bishopscombe.

Les

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I can hardly believe its been nearly eight months since any updates from Bishopscombe!

Since last summer the station has received a new platform - the old Metcalfe one looked very tired - and as it was one of the very first things I built over six years ago, since then I have discovered many new approaches to building structures.

Also the ballast was fast disappearing! It was originally glued down with diluted copydex, and this gave very good running, but the glue started to deteriorate leaving big gaps in the ballast.

Re-ballasting with the track in situ wasn't easy, and the end result is not as good as I would like, however a few minutes each week tidying up is helping! I have deliberately not weathered the ballast as yet.

Also I have experimented with the station engine shed area. Gone is the stone engine shed, replaced with a Prototype card kit. The road behind the old shed was hidden, so moving the shed to this road has created a bit more open space.

I will stick with the Prototype kit for a while, it's been lightly weathered and has received some guttering and bargeboards, but no doors as yet.

So a few new pictures;

The minerals arrive at Bishopscombe to reverse, the new shed arrangement can be seen.

post-10377-0-89908000-1489569420_thumb.jpg

The 'new' view across the goods yard.

post-10377-0-43022800-1489569504_thumb.jpg

The pannier runs round the local

post-10377-0-85290300-1489569627_thumb.jpg

Having shunted the stock into the bay the pannier moves off to the shed.

post-10377-0-68479500-1489569742_thumb.jpg

In its 'new' home

post-10377-0-30122200-1489569798_thumb.jpg

Some new platform details, the new benches are a bit high for some of Bishopscombe's regular travellers!

post-10377-0-85144300-1489569997_thumb.jpg

The station staff have been busy putting on their usual floral display

post-10377-0-77164700-1489570071_thumb.jpg

The platform is just mount board sprayed with B&Q's own brand grey primer (it's darker than Halfords), and Peco edging overlaid with wills dressed stone. 

Later the afternoon goods arrives. The milk tanker has evaded the works painters for a good few years, but the plywood van looks fresh after a repaint! 

post-10377-0-37365300-1489570189_thumb.jpg

I think the white balance in the camera was set wrong for some of these, I only noticed after they were put on the PC!

Will update some more soon.

Les

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 18

Thanks Jules

Yes. it seems that now the better weather is on the way I spend more time in the railway room. Next jobs are to do something about that old Ratio water tower, and tidy the area around the signal box; among other things!

The oil depot may go, it provides different traffic, but it's hardly well placed!

Les

• Like 1

Hi Les

Your modelling time seems to be the reverse of mine - the summer months generally signal a halt of railway related activities as keeping the garden in check and generally being outdoors more limits the time to spend up in the railway room!

I look forward to seeing your continued updates :)

Jules

A few new pictures from the 'Combe.

The staff at Bishopscombe Junction Shed have been busy refurbishing some barrows, left out in the yard for the primer to dry, somewhat obscuring this shot of 5660.

post-10377-0-22122800-1489843564_thumb.jpg

Some extra capacity has been borrowed from the Southern Region in the form of this Austin W.

post-10377-0-08568500-1489843933_thumb.jpg

"I'm only paid to drive the lorry mate"

Driver looks on as coal is loaded, the non-prototypical coal staithes have gone.

post-10377-0-79988700-1489844029_thumb.jpg

A 'helicopter' shot showing the new 'horse landing' to help with the busy horse traffic.

post-10377-0-42450100-1489844099_thumb.jpg

A summer visitor in the form of Dukedog 9015 shunts a horse box into the yard.

post-10377-0-97416100-1489844165_thumb.jpg

Finally a cruel lose up of the new station platform. The building isn't fixed at the moment as I experiment with different details.

post-10377-0-17565500-1489844275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 16

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking for awhile now about building 'Bishopscombe II'.

At the weekend another point motor failed - no problem I hear you say - but as the station baseboard was built on top of an existing worktop it means I only have a six inch gap to get my arms under the board from the edge. I have done a few over the years but now my patience is waning -  and so are my arms! 

The old worktop gave amazing stability to the layout, but as I get older it's shortcomings are preventing my enjoyment of it.

So at the moment I'm thinking of removing the worktop and building a traditional baseboard for the station section. Being able to get underneath the baseboard will be so much easier.

With this in mind I've produced two tentative track plans. I want to create a more open feel - I now find that Bishopscombe has too much town included.

I have allowed space for a road to the right of the station, and the approach track from the scenic area will be on a small embankment. 

I intend using Peco bullhead rail, so waiting for the turnouts to arrive should give me plenty of time to build the boards!

Both plans use large radius turnouts, but the 'y's may have to be the current code 75 offerings.

So before I do any more planning I'll ask the ever wise RM fraternity what they think about it!

Plan 1

post-10377-0-47525400-1496828742_thumb.jpg

Plan 2

post-10377-0-73680700-1496828841_thumb.jpg

edited to mention turnout size

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 2

I'm always advocating looking at the real railroads for inspiration - your plan 2 is almost dead on for a flipped version of Faringdon...

attachicon.gifnotFaringdontrack.jpg

Well spotted - it is loosely based on Faringdon 'back to front'. I looked at the Faringdon plan, but haven't got enough space; unless I cut the approach curve to 24" radius and then only use small radius points. I really want something to look a little more 'railway' like this time. I suppose I could take the cattle road off of the other sidings, I'll have a play on any rail- thanks.

Andrew- the rebuild might be a way off yet, but thanks for the encouragement - I will need it!

Mike, thanks for the comment - your'e right the curved point does look better.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

A few more trees have been 'planted' around the'Combe

A couple on Canal Lane

post-10377-0-92157700-1497138775_thumb.jpg

And a third at the farm - perhaps I could now call this 'Three Oaks Farm'?

post-10377-0-66360900-1497138856_thumb.jpg

Some ground work to do around the bases still, and with each one I'm learning a bit more.

Hope to make about three or four a week.

Les

• Like 8