class 105 dmu

BROADTRAIN1979

Well into the new year ,so i wonder if the plans are on the table being looked at and into action for this great dmu in 'n'

I seem to recall a statement from Bachmann that the 101 essentially jumped ahead of the 105 in the "shrinking schedule" so I'd expect an announcement within the next year or so (if not this year).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

From what Bachmann reps have told me at shows, the 105 will appear in N before too long. The sales of the 108 and 101 have been healthy (apparently healthier than the class 150). From what they said, the 105 is likely to be the last first generation DMU from Farish for a while as they don't want to flood the market. Means that Dapol is the most likely source of 63' units (based on the class 121 chassis).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Means that Dapol is the most likely source of 63' units (based on the class 121 chassis).

I wouldn't necessarily say that. The same drive unit is used in the 4CEP as the 108, 101 and 150 two of which are 64ft units. It's a no brainer for Dapol to put a DMBS body on the 121 chassis to giet them the start of a 117 though, but it's equally easy for Farish to develop a 63ft DMU from what they have if they want to.

• RMweb Premium

it's equally easy for Farish to develop a 63ft DMU from what they have if they want to.

I don't disagree with you. I was just passing on what Colin Albright said - he thought with the 105 there would be enough first generation DMUs to satisfy demand (for the time being at least), hence Dapol being the more likely to give us some 62' units.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

More a case of the 101 having been waiting long enough - there is no Bachmann 101 but there had been a Poole Farish one.

I am suprised that Bachmann have not released a 00 version. The Limby version is long in the tooth and new one to modern standards would surely sell well.

I don't disagree with you. I was just passing on what Colin Albright said - he thought with the 105 there would be enough first generation DMUs to satisfy demand (for the time being at least), hence Dapol being the more likely to give us some 62' units

Not only are 101, 105 & 108 all first-generation DMUs, they are also all low-density, 57ft first generation DMUs. A choice in one category only - no high density, no cross-country, no inter-city DMUs. Dapol could step closer by doing the driving trailers that used to run with the 121/122s if they didn't want to tool a whole 117 in one go. That would give them the 'other' end and a non-power type underframe and get some money back on extra tooling before taking the final steps to a full 117.

Not only are 101, 105 & 108 all first-generation DMUs, they are also all low-density, 57ft first generation DMUs. A choice in one category only - no high density, no cross-country, no inter-city DMUs.

I bet Kings Cross commuters don't need reminding that the 105s were low density :O

The mix is not dissimilar to their 4mm portfolio though - just went for 101s in N gauge instead of the Derby Lightweights.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My class 105 converted from a Farish class 108 will have to suffice then until ?? 

looks rather good.  what did you use for the ends, BHE or NTrain?  How much did you carve off the 108?   While I would do a green one I might fancy taking this on .

looks rather good.  what did you use for the ends, BHE or NTrain?  How much did you carve off the 108?   While I would do a green one I might fancy taking this on

They are NTrain ends which require several coats of paint to make them smooth. I cut the 108 ends off along the door line.

Archived