O Gauge Auto Couplings

railwayrod

Having spent two enjoyable days at the Warley Exhibition playing trains, I'm delighted to say my version of T/L couplings worked faultlessly, more importantly not one  criticism about non prototypical.:)  

• Like 3

Having started this thread some 4+ years ago I thought that I would add a couple of photos showing how I fit a loop to my locos to enable them to couple up to my Bachmann fitted T/L wagons/coaches. The process is very simple (well it has to be for me to cope with) and consists of drilling two small holes in the body of (in this case a Heljan diesel) and bending a piece of 1mm brass rod to form the loop and then pushing them into the holes. Once adjusted to my coupler height gauge they are secured with a drop of superglue. Hope this is useful.

From the underside.

post-13361-0-58117100-1480363903_thumb.jpg

And from the front.

post-13361-0-84394600-1480363965_thumb.jpg

When this is painted matt black it is barely visible.

Rod

• Like 5

Having started this thread some 4+ years ago I thought that I would add a couple of photos showing how I fit a loop to my locos to enable them to couple up to my Bachmann fitted T/L wagons/coaches. The process is very simple (well it has to be for me to cope with) and consists of drilling two small holes in the body of (in this case a Heljan diesel) and bending a piece of 1mm brass rod to form the loop and then pushing them into the holes. Once adjusted to my coupler height gauge they are secured with a drop of superglue. Hope this is useful.

From the underside.

attachicon.gifwire loop under class 26.jpg

And from the front.

attachicon.gifCoupling from the front.jpg

Rod

Thanks Rod 

K.I.S.S!

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had already plumped for Winterleys - which always seemed to work well when seen at exhibitions - as I couldnt get to the bottom of how the lincs system worked.

I have a few test vehicles fitted with Winterleys and they work very well, but are 'ended', the layout is yet to be built......looking forward to the progress of the new version of the lincs though.

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

Sorry to dredge an old post up - but I'm looking at the different coupling options but despite whats on the Winterleys website, cannot work out for the life of me how these couple and uncouple - and looking at the YouTube video on their site, when you reverse slightly to drop on one vehicle (say fourth from the engine) why don't the others uncouple too?

Given the front and back 'parts' to the coupling, I'm not convinced these would work for me as everything has to be handed it seems ... can you offer any insights?

Rich

From the underside.

attachicon.gifwire loop under class 26.jpg

And from the front.

attachicon.gifCoupling from the front.jpg

Rod

So looking at this it appears that when you push, you are using the loops rather than the buffers? Don't the loops tend to ride over each other?

Ed

Has anyone tried the magnetic couplings as in the new BRM DVD? They are unobtrusive, and I like the idea but it seems to me that the magnets are too strong so

1)  difficult to uncouple

2)  when a loco approaches a wagon on a siding the wagon will push away due to the magnets unless it is being held.

I have to say I thought the review could have been much better.

Ed

Has anyone tried the magnetic couplings as in the new BRM DVD? They are unobtrusive, and I like the idea but it seems to me that the magnets are too strong so

2)  when a loco approaches a wagon on a siding the wagon will push away due to the magnets unless it is being held.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I've just finished watching the DVD, including the M+M Mag-Clic couplers.

I must say I wasn't convinced of their general usefulness either.

The thing that immediately struck me was "how do you uncouple?". Even with 3-link, screw-link, tension-lock, S&W, Dinghams etc. there is a way of uncoupling (shunter's pole or electromagnet) without having to grab the vehicle and pull hard. I see potential for breaking off small details like coach door handles by repeated handing of the rolling stock when uncoupling.

I can see a use in fixed rakes of wagons and, especially, coaches where it's hard to get a normal coupling done up. (I can hear people shouting "Kadees!" at this point though).

I don't think a wagon will "push away" from a loco on a siding as these couplings attract each other, not repel. The wagon may well jump towards the loco though, especially if it's a light wagon.

Duncan

• Like 1

Hi CME,

Sorry to dredge an old post up - but I'm looking at the different coupling options but despite whats on the Winterleys website, cannot work out for the life of me how these couple and uncouple - and looking at the YouTube video on their site, when you reverse slightly to drop on one vehicle (say fourth from the engine) why don't the others uncouple too?

Given the front and back 'parts' to the coupling, I'm not convinced these would work for me as everything has to be handed it seems ... can you offer any insights?

Rich

Hi Rich,

No worries.

Yes indeed the Winterleys are in effect handed/ended. They have on board magnets and in some cases a loop can merely be attached to the loco. I had also closed up the gap slightly with them, by shortening the loops/goalposts so that stock was closer together than recommended without any problems encountered.

The shunting move that you describe? It just requires practice and gentle movements, as you probably know, the hooks drop when pushed against the plate/dropper loop and then the magnet draws them back again, so most of the hooks stay/return in the up/engaged position as the magnets grab. It takes some practice but it works very well and they are quite robust when set up. 

Ideal for steam outline/era, not always suited to 'modern image' or loco with deep buffers/draw-bars.

I hope that helps a bit......

Ed

Are they the M&M ones? If so Im using them for my coaches and I hope to cut them down to use on my fixed rakes eg. Dogfish (IIRC M&M maybe developing a shortened/modified version).

They seem to work well as a semi permi coupling for awkward to couple stock.

THEY ARE NOT AN AUTO-COUPLING :)  per se.....Ive not seen the video, but if that is implied within the video, they are not intended for that use. They are for coupling under coaching stock with corridor connections etc.

BTW they pull apart very easily with light hand pressure yet stay coupled under normal use, the advantage over KDs? They slip into the existing drawbar slot and when blackened are almost invisible (with no modification of/to the stock, unlike KDs on British outline stock). You pays yer money and makes yer choice. KDs are fine on BR MK1s et al, but to my mind look awful on anything else British outline, except, perhaps NG, but they work very well and ARE auto-couplings - so each to their own. Horses for courses as we are not comparing apples with apples?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

No worries.

Yes indeed the Winterleys are in effect handed/ended. They have on board magnets and in some cases a loop can merely be attached to the loco. I had also closed up the gap slightly with them, by shortening the loops/goalposts so that stock was closer together than recommended without any problems encountered.

The shunting move that you describe? It just requires practice and gentle movements, as you probably know, the hooks drop when pushed against the plate/dropper loop and then the magnet draws them back again, so most of the hooks stay/return in the up/engaged position as the magnets grab. It takes some practice but it works very well and they are quite robust when set up. 

Ideal for steam outline/era, not always suited to 'modern image' or loco with deep buffers/draw-bars.

I hope that helps a bit......

Thanks CME,

Yes that helps. That is the nearest I've come to yet to what I'm looking for. The problem is that the new 7mm layout is going to be 1950s based, with both steam and diesel, in which case, the diesels will be required to run-round some trains, while the steam locos will get turned, and I'm still not sure whether they will work for me or not?

Do you happen to know of any layouts, with images online, that are using them? I'd like to see them properly before making any decisions, although I suspect some sample conversations are going to be required!

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks CME,

Yes that helps. That is the nearest I've come to yet to what I'm looking for. The problem is that the new 7mm layout is going to be 1950s based, with both steam and diesel, in which case, the diesels will be required to run-round some trains, while the steam locos will get turned, and I'm still not sure whether they will work for me or not?

Do you happen to know of any layouts, with images online, that are using them? I'd like to see them properly before making any decisions, although I suspect some sample conversations are going to be required!

Rich

Hi Rich,

You are most welcome.

IF all of your diesels are early modernisation types - with slightly less pipe-work etc and standard draw-bars/buffer-beams - then Winterleys might work for you. Locos like the 03s and industrial types with deep buffer-beams are problematic as are later diesels with more pipes and fittings etc.

I have seen layouts that use Winterleys and IIRC there was a 7mm layout, 'Bigbury' (again IIRC) which the owner of Winterley's at the time, John Shaw (not sure if he was the designer/developer too, that may have been another fellow), had built. The layout and couplings ran, faultlessly, such layouts are few and far between though on the exhibition circuit. There are several layouts called Bigbury and I may have the name wrong, I remember though that the 7mm layout was modelled on that area of Devon - when, of course Bigbury-On-Sea didnt have a railway/station despite what Lovejoy says (when searching for 'Major Tinker Dill') Ha Ha!

Why not get in touch with John Shaw and see if he can help with videos/layouts etc?

Again, I hope that helps a little.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium

We at Romiley Methodist Railway Modellers use Winterley Couplings on our 0 gauge layout 'Gillan & Brown'. The couplings do work well even with all the shunting we do. The trick is to ensure they are the correct height.

The layout's next (and maybe final) exhibition is the one day Bristol 0 gauge show in January.

Edited by ColinK

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

You are most welcome.

IF all of your diesels are early modernisation types - with slightly less pipe-work etc and standard draw-bars/buffer-beams - then Winterleys might work for you. Locos like the 03s and industrial types with deep buffer-beams are problematic as are later diesels with more pipes and fittings etc.

I have seen layouts that use Winterleys and IIRC there was a 7mm layout, 'Bigbury' (again IIRC) which the owner of Winterley's at the time, John Shaw (not sure if he was the designer/developer too, that may have been another fellow), had built. The layout and couplings ran, faultlessly, such layouts are few and far between though on the exhibition circuit. There are several layouts called Bigbury and I may have the name wrong, I remember though that the 7mm layout was modelled on that area of Devon - when, of course Bigbury-On-Sea didnt have a railway/station despite what Lovejoy says (when searching for 'Major Tinker Dill') Ha Ha!

Why not get in touch with John Shaw and see if he can help with videos/layouts etc?

Again, I hope that helps a little.

ATVB

CME

Thanks CME,

That really helped, I will try and speak/email John Shaw and see if he can offer any thoughts of advice.  Once idea I have is to fit Winterley's to the freight stock and yard shunter, but keep the locos, a small number of wagons and the passenger stock on Lincs couplings, which do not need to be handed. I'm thinking that could be the way forward.

We at Romiley Methodist Railway Modellers use Winterley Couplings on our 0 gauge layout 'Gillan & Brown'. The couplings do work well even with all the shunting we do. The trick is to ensure they are the correct height.

The layout's next (and maybe final) exhibition is the one day Bristol 0 gauge show in January.

Hi Colin,

Thats great thanks - unfortunately I don't think I can make the Bristol event ... a bit too far from the York area on a Sunday by train.  Is there a website or anything for the layout?  It would have been good to have a chat with you guys about them tho :(. Might have to try and look at Bristol again!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

CME,

I've now been able to work out a way in which I can do Bristol in January - and thanks to this comment from your goodself I gather John Shaw is there with this Wintereley Yard (might have got the name wrong) layout, presumably using his couplings - and an ideal opportunity to chat.

Hi Colin,

Are you going to be at Bristol? I'll try and say hello and have look at the couplings.

Rich

CME,

I've now been able to work out a way in which I can do Bristol in January - and thanks to this comment from your goodself I gather John Shaw is there with this Wintereley Yard (might have got the name wrong) layout, presumably using his couplings - and an ideal opportunity to chat.

Hi Colin,

Are you going to be at Bristol? I'll try and say hello and have look at the couplings.

Rich

That's good news Rich, I am hoping to get there too so as to pick up some goodies - it's usually a very good show.

ATVB

CME

At Telford I purchased a set of magnetic couplings from M & M which I intend to use on my rake of ex LMS coaching stock. This should make separating the vehicles much simpler and more to the point much easier to recouple afterwards. However these coaches are always run as a rake of 5 so the end vehicles have been fitted with my preferred Bachmann 00 couplings to enable them to be coupled up to a loco and other stock as appropriate (e.g. attaching a mail van to the end, etc). Only one end of the end vehicles have been fitted with Bachmann couplings, the intermediate ones are still fitted with screw couplings.  In the event that I add a sixth vehicle to the middle of the train it will be fitted with these magnetic couplings at both ends making insertion very simple.

This is the next job on my list of things to do at Ramchester, will let you know how I progress in due course.

Rod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At Telford I purchased a set of magnetic couplings from M & M which I intend to use on my rake of ex LMS coaching stock. This should make separating the vehicles much simpler and more to the point much easier to recouple afterwards. However these coaches are always run as a rake of 5 so the end vehicles have been fitted with my preferred Bachmann 00 couplings to enable them to be coupled up to a loco and other stock as appropriate (e.g. attaching a mail van to the end, etc). Only one end of the end vehicles have been fitted with Bachmann couplings, the intermediate ones are still fitted with screw couplings.  In the event that I add a sixth vehicle to the middle of the train it will be fitted with these magnetic couplings at both ends making insertion very simple.

This is the next job on my list of things to do at Ramchester, will let you know how I progress in due course.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Yes please - my plan was to put Kadee's on the inner vehicles of rolling stock sets.  Can't really see any of mine will get split - apart from attaching/detaching the odd parcels coach, but id be interested to see how these magnet couplings work.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rod,

Yes please - my plan was to put Kadee's on the inner vehicles of rolling stock sets.  Can't really see any of mine will get split - apart from attaching/detaching the odd parcels coach, but id be interested to see how these magnet couplings work.

Rich

I've also bought some M & M couplers and they will be used on the fixed rake trains particularly corridor stock which is very difficult to couple.  However I am intending to fit Lincs to the outer ends so that horse boxes etc can be uncoupled.  

Jamie 

• Like 2

Hi Rich.

As soon as I have done these I will post my thoughts and results. This will not happen before Christmas as I will be away for some of the time. I am keen to see how they work and will do a thorough test before putting anything on the web.

Rod

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

By next experiment will be S&W , ultimately I'd like dcc controlled locos uncoupling , as loco "run rounds" are the main activity that requires uncoupling

Hi Junctionmad,

Well I decided against the Lincs system in the end as I need the delayed action to avoid a large number of magnets. How did your S&W tests go? I'm going to acquire a test pack in the coming weeks.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Just to update the thread a little for anyone using three-link couplings, these 'Shunters Poles' are now available - in essence a small pen type torch (powered by 2 AA batteries) attached to which is a magnet and used for coupling and uncoupling three-link and screw-type couplings. The smaller one is aimed at both 4mm and 7mm, the larger variety at 7mm. The distance of the magnet from the pen is easily adjustable to suit everyone's own taste. Priced at £14 post free in the UK. If anyone wishes to purchase one, or if you have any questions, either PM me on here, or email marsh.lane@outlook.com

I shall be launching a website shortly, on which these will feature, and better photos are to be done, so apologies for the quality of these interim ones. The left hand is the larger, and naturally, the right hand is the smaller version.

Rich

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 4

Any chance Rich?

It would be nice to see one working to see how you operate them.

I know it's only a magnet on a stick but I wonder about the couple/uncouple movement and what if any disturbance to other wagons.

Nice neat well made project though.

Best

• RMweb Gold

Any chance Rich?

It would be nice to see one working to see how you operate them.

I know it's only a magnet on a stick but I wonder about the couple/uncouple movement and what if any disturbance to other wagons.

Nice neat well made project though.

Best

Yes no problem. I'm going to do a video to show that - I'll try and do it, then pop it up tomorrow. My initial trials have worked well and it's a lot easier than the piece of wire or screwdriver I was using!! I think with practice you can uncouple wagons without much of any movement to the vehicles.

Rich

• Like 1