O Gauge Auto Couplings

railwayrod

Evening all,

Just to update the thread a little for anyone using three-link couplings, these 'Shunters Poles' are now available - in essence a small pen type torch (powered by 2 AA batteries) attached to which is a magnet and used for coupling and uncoupling three-link and screw-type couplings. The smaller one is aimed at both 4mm and 7mm, the larger variety at 7mm. The distance of the magnet from the pen is easily adjustable to suit everyone's own taste. Priced at £14 post free in the UK. If anyone wishes to purchase one, or if you have any questions, either PM me on here, or email marsh.lane@outlook.com

I shall be launching a website shortly, on which these will feature, and better photos are to be done, so apologies for the quality of these interim ones. The left hand is the larger, and naturally, the right hand is the smaller version.

Rich

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

I possess one of these neat devices. It is very effective.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"I know it's only a magnet on a stick ..."

Well, there's a bit more to it than that, see my post here:

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50279-o-gauge-auto-couplings/?p=2506307

"... but I wonder about the couple/uncouple movement and what if any disturbance to other wagons."

As the magnetic flux is concentrated to just where it's needed, in my experience, there is practically no disturbance even to the two wagons being coupled.

David

I have just received my magnetic shunters pole, and after a quick test, the verdict is excellent. You can couple and uncouple without affecting the position of the wagons and it is easy enough to wipe downwards to leave the just coupled link in place. Only issue is that I have just found out that the new Dapol vans have brass 3 links,but I was going to change them anyway. I need to make sure I get Ferrous Instanters or Screw links. Suggestions please.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"I need to make sure I get Ferrous Instanters or Screw links. Suggestions please."

Of course, it's only the bottom/last link that needs to be ferrous so the Instanter link in the middle may be brass. 

Similarly for screw couplings, only the outer shackle needs to be ferrous. I have this 'problem' with my models and, although I've not tried it yet, my plan is to make D-shackles from florists wire, which is rather soft 'iron' and should be as easy as brass to form.  The wire will need to be well cleaned up and a suitable flux, such as Baker's fluid, will be needed if the eyes of the shackles are to be closed and then drilled out (which is what I do).

David

I placed my order for one of the Shunter Magnetic Poles last night and now await it eagerly.

I have set up to use TL's in nem pockets for main use but I can switch them out for 3-link working should the need arise and hence my need for the pole.

I've gone for the smaller version but I am using 7mm, posts above indicate it will work with both 4 & 7mm. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

I shall be most interested to hear how you get on with it, Barnaby.  I like the smaller version because ... well it's smaller! 

That said, the original/standard one is just as effective in 7mm.  The smaller version was an offshoot: our 4mm friends were interested in trying one and we surmised that the standard one might be a tad large compared to 4mm coupling links.  As it turned out, we found that the smaller version still worked perfectly well with 7mm couplings.

Ironically, I cannot use them on my own models as I do not have any with ferrous links!

David

Happy to report that Premier Components' coupling links (with which most of my stock is fitted) are steel.

The downside of these is that the hook is brass, and profile milled, so a rather 2-dimensional thing, until you attack it with suitable needle files. And then PLEASE metal-black it, for I have a pet hate of vehicles with brass coupling hooks!!!

Bill does sell the chain if you just want to replace the links (or indeed just the last link).

Best

Simon

• Like 3

I am trying to sort out my shopping list for Model rail Scotland for next month. I hope to be able to get couplings there along with some other goodies 

I am very happy with the shunters mag stick as I had been using a modified dental pick but the lack of light was defeating me (and steadiness of hands ) 

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"I have a pet hate of vehicles with brass coupling hooks!!!"

I don't like to see that either, Simon, but my pet hate when it comes to couplings is links that have not been properly closed up!  I form the link, close it up and then fill in the join with solder to give a complete and symmetrical look.

David

Mine arrived this morning, I went for the smaller sized one and from initial use of it all is well.  The light is bright and the magnet while small is powerful enough to lift up the 3-links.  Only tried it with 2 wagons on the bench track but from above or from a side at about 60D worked effortlessly.

As I said in my layout page "every 3-link layout should have one"

Giggle time:

When I opened the jiffy bag and took out the MagnaPole I saw the magnet rod was strapped along side of the torch with chrome tape to keep it safe in the post.  No worries I thought I'll just peel off the chrome tape and reposition it. . . . . doh! . . . . .. . . . . . when trying to unpick the tape I found it was too stiff to pick an end up.  Not one to give up on a challenge I had another go, this time instead of an end lifting up the whole tape slid sideways?

Aha it was not chrome tape but a chrome metal clip that grasped the torch and allowed easy adjustment of the rod extension, even better.

Best

• Like 2

Bit of a copy of the Lanarkshire Models one that was first available more than ten years ago but only just dropped from the website due to a lack of a quality torch.

post-10324-0-44041600-1484950648.jpg

Just saying.

Edited by davefrk

Guest Isambarduk

Yes, it may well indeed be a copy, but it wasn't copied; I came up with the idea of the magnetic shield quite independently, unaware of any other products.  

When a friend said that he found that the bare magnet on his shunter's pole would indiscriminately grab things, such as buffers, a ferrous shield seemed an obvious solution to me, so I offered to make one for him for the next time we met.  The modified pole was deemed a great success so we made some more to give to friends and we mentioned it to others, who commented favourably and asked if they could also have one, or more ... MarshLane offered to market them and that's how we got to where we are now.

David

Ah, but evolution does depend on the genes/idea/instructions being passed (or not passed...) on to the following generations.

So, as David did not copy an earlier idea, this is not an example of "evolution" per se, but it could be an example of what is known as "convergent evolution" - that is, that things that do the same "job" (could be "lifestyle") end up looking much the same. Think back, if you can, to the launch of the Ford Sierra - it replaced all the Cortina-like cars that were the norm at that time, and was a complete departure from that era. Within months, every car looked like a Sierra - not because they were copies (there wasn't time), but because the world had moved to that solution. Pretty much every car looks like "son of Sierra" today. Same is true for lots of animals, birds, fish, and plants.

If you enjoy a little schadenfreude, do look up the Darwin awards...

Best

Simon

No, but I tell you what though, I can offer a prize worth £14 (including postage) to the first person who recognises me who I reckon I don't know. It's the much sought after (because we can't seem to make them fast enough!) DLOS Shunter's Pole, which first made a guest appearance on the HMRS stand at G0G Doncaster and then as a celebrity on the same stand at Telford last year.

They have been mentioned on the Forum here (www.gauge0guild.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7281) and also on RMWeb (www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50279-o-gauge-auto-couplings/?p=2501454)

See you there!

David

Well after reading what David wrote above, I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time in the queue this morning at the Bristol show and I'm now the proud owner of a DLOS Shunter's Pole !

So after returning home I thought I must give it a try, and I must say this is an excellent little device. We all know how fiddly coupling up and un coupling is, well to be honest I thought it will be just another gimmick. But it works very well and does not move the wagons and also easy to use, see below.

post-7101-0-30627200-1485114839_thumb.jpg

Thank you David, much appreciated and great to have a chat today.

All the best,

Martyn.

• Like 5

Ah, but evolution does depend on the genes/idea/instructions being passed (or not passed...) on to the following generations.

So, as David did not copy an earlier idea, this is not an example of "evolution" per se, but it could be an example of what is known as "convergent evolution" - that is, that things that do the same "job" (could be "lifestyle") end up looking much the same. Think back, if you can, to the launch of the Ford Sierra - it replaced all the Cortina-like cars that were the norm at that time, and was a complete departure from that era. Within months, every car looked like a Sierra - not because they were copies (there wasn't time), but because the world had moved to that solution. Pretty much every car looks like "son of Sierra" today. Same is true for lots of animals, birds, fish, and plants.

If you enjoy a little schadenfreude, do look up the Darwin awards...

Best

Simon

Agree with convergent evolution in David's case, Simon, that is what I meant, but as it was only a passing comment ;).......... 

Re the 'New Ford Sierra, Man and Machine in Perfect Harmony'. :mosking:  IIRC Hyundai advertised their new vehicles as ' The Car That The Sierra Should Have Been' (in precis and not verbatim) :mosking:  It took quite awhile for other manufactures to follow Ford's lead as the Sierra was too far ahead of the markets' expectations in shape and styling, even though underneath it was really just another exercise in Ford standardization. 

The problem with evolution is that Darwin's Theory of Evolution is just that, it's still just a theory, there is no conclusive proof and some of the science to support it is deeply flawed and merely just repeated without academic or scientific rigour, but it's popular - for now - and a reasonable crack at explaining how Earth is the way that it is.. Evolution can come, sometimes, so it would seem, in times of environmental crisis, and may well have happened more often in the ancient past, yet in recent times, ie apes, great apes et al and humanity? Stalled so it would seem. But then according to ancient Sumerian - cuneiform written - stone tablets (which describe creation, the garden of eden etc., in great detail, several thousand years before other religions) and the Epic of Gilgamesh et al, we were made in the image of the Sumerian's gods (after they had had a go with Enkidu and his kind). :help: all things are possible. :offtopic:

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

I purchased one of these poles sometime ago at Telford, and, the operating experiance is so much more relaxing using this device as apposed to a simple magnet on a pole, minuture shunters pole etc. Uncoupling and coupling up almost instantaneously has made shunting on my layout a pleasure, and not the chore it used to be.
It does as stated above. I really don't see why some people have to turn every thread into an argument, which is probably why I spend more time shunting my layout than reading posts on here, and other websites.

Copied from the other post. If you don't like it don't buy it, your choice.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use Spratt and Winkle autocouplers and electromagnets (from SEEP I think) on my layout, modified a bit as per this photograph which I put on old thread on the site.
http://www.rmweb.co....ouplings/page-6

Since posting the photographs, I've changed my method slightly: although my layout is end to end I can't really used "handed" rolling stock, ie - hook at one end, loop at the other, because I use a train turntable off stage. In the quest for 100% reliability I now fit loops to both ends of all wagons, half of the wagons also have hooks at both ends, locos only have loops. The snag with this is obviously that certain wagons can't be coupled directly to each other, but I have now achieved such good reliability that shunting is a real pleasure.

For my new Lionheart B set I pondered about how to do the couplers and I have fitted Spratt and Winkles, hooks only, iron wire droppers instead of 3 links, no loops as the outer ends of the set will always couple to a loco with loops. I have been able to leave the existing screw couplings in place, which was good as I don't want to alter the coaches unnecessarily. Hopefully the photos will make some of this clearer. The route for the passenger services only has gentle curves so was able to use the length of the Spratt and Winkle hooks to go right round the realistic model hooks and achieve reasonably close coupling. I've been testing the couplers today and they seem to work faultlessly. Result!

Attached Thumbnails
  • blogentry-11712-0-20996600-1490978583.jp
  • blogentry-11712-0-20859900-1490978600_th
  •  
  • blogentry-11712-0-55837300-1490978614_th

post-11712-0-14364800-1490980413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stringfingerling
  • Like 4