First Handbuilt 2mm Finescale Point

andy157

Hi Guys and Girls,

well here's some pics of my first piece of trakwork i've built to 2mm finescale standards, wasn't too bad to build and took me about 5 hours in total! not used any filing jigs!!!

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

all i gotta do now is decide which tiebar setup i'm going to use!

here's a quick video of the above point with a homemade converted GNER MK3 coach! one of the wheel has a wobble but other than that runs nice!!

th_2mmfinescaletracktest001.jpg

let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

Andy.

Nothing to beat that "first 2mm point" feeling... and looks like you managed to finish before midnight... I think it was 3 am for me. Brilliant.

I think the experts say it's best to test the turnout by tilting the board gently and letting the vehicle roll through on its own, rather than propelling it by hand, something to do with inadvertently guiding it past any tight spots or bumps.

What are you going to model next?

Hi guys,

thanks for the comments, good to know other people like what i'm doing.

Graham R,

i need to sort out a tirbar arrangement first but it does run nice and easy up to the blades and back again by its self!

next for me? i'm still working on templot for the track plan for my new layout which is Darlingotn Bank Top Station, gonna be around the 20/25ft length!

Andy.

Andy

I have only built 1 N gauge turnout todate (for someone else) and I cut the isolation gaps before soldering the rails on with one of those fine Xacto saws. May also be easier to fill the gaps with filler at the same time.

Talked to a chap with an 0 gauge layout at St Albans last night, he uses 2 square Plasticstrut tubes that fit inside each other. He cuts a long slit the the outer one on one side, and fits 2 small brass tubes to the inner one at the same distance as the stock rails. He then fits a piece of wire through it which is bent sideways then up a tad and forwards and solders them to the switch rails. More difficult to explain than do. Or you could drill the holes under the switch rails and have just 1 bend forwards

Talked to a chap with an 0 gauge layout at St Albans last night, he uses 2 square Plasticstrut tubes that fit inside each other. He cuts a long slit the the outer one on one side, and fits 2 small brass tubes to the inner one at the same distance as the stock rails. He then fits a piece of wire through it which is bent sideways then up a tad and forwards and solders them to the switch rails. More difficult to explain than do. Or you could drill the holes under the switch rails and have just 1 bend forwards

You could do the latter but, bear in mind that, the former has a distinct advantage in operation: the sideways bend can pass under the stock rail and keep the switch rail from lifting up.

Archived