Using Ratio GWR fencing

Hi everyone. Long time reader of the forum, but this is my first post. I'm currently building the scenery for my basement layout here in Switzerland. I'm using Ratio product 423 "GWR Wire Lineside Fencing" to delineate the boundary between private and railway owned land. I've followed the supplied instructions and planted all the posts in the landscape. This afternoon I started to apply the wire. I've 360 posts to sort out and was wondering if anyone had come up with a relatively quick method of gluing up the wire. I've tried "Plastruct Bondene" and "Elmer's Superglue". Neither seem to provide a solid joint. The fencing is placed on uneven ground, so I have to build it in-situ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone. Long time reader of the forum, but this is my first post. I'm currently building the scenery for my basement layout here in Switzerland. I'm using Ratio product 423 "GWR Wire Lineside Fencing" to delineate the boundary between private and railway owned land. I've followed the supplied instructions and planted all the posts in the landscape. This afternoon I started to apply the wire. I've 360 posts to sort out and was wondering if anyone had come up with a relatively quick method of gluing up the wire. I've tried "Plastruct Bondene" and "Elmer's Superglue". Neither seem to provide a solid joint. The fencing is placed on uneven ground, so I have to build it in-situ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

James.Don't bother using the Ratio wire and buy the product EZ wire instead.This is elasticated and would only need glueing on every 5 posts or so using pva.I've used it alot on my layout.Have a look at it near my cattle dock in the layout section.

Its a US product but is available on reels in the UK.I'll find a link for you.

http://www.berkshirejunction.com/

Thanks a lot, lads. That sounds like a good solution. I go to the US several times a month anyway, so I'll pick some up next time I'm there. I guess EZ wire can be picked up at any good model shop. It's a bit of a relief I have to say. The thought of de-tangling all that wire wasn't a pleasant one! Regards.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

The GWR ones are unpainted wood, and depending on the date of your layout, could be in various conditions, from clean and new, to rotten and covered with all kinds of growth.

Precision paints weathered wood is good.

• RMweb Gold

The GWR ones are unpainted wood, and depending on the date of your layout, could be in various conditions, from clean and new, to rotten and covered with all kinds of growth.

They were creosoted when new.  I don't know if any of the wooden lineside ones were ever re-creosoted during their lifetime but that might have been a possibility in Pre-war or earlier years but they seemed to take forever to rot.

• RMweb Premium

On several exhibition layouts I have been involved in over the years, we have never bothered to use anything to represent the wires. The Great Western used 7 wires per post, at the bottom they were at 4 1/2 inch centres and increased in spacing as they went up. All posts were painted a grey - browny colour. Bridge rail straining posts are at around every 20 odd posts, with angle stiffner(s) at the ends or large changes in direction.

Archived