Southern Layout in California

John P

I try to follow the KISS method as much as possible ( Keep it SImple Stupid) The only reason I'm not sure is because of having to wire more things and put in a control panel.

I'll be using DCC which will mean no block switches, some wiring across the boards is fine. I just don't want to make wiring a major project, like on the last layout I built (for a friend) Next time I'm at his house I'll take some pics of that that wiring fun.

• RMweb Gold

I have a DCC layout of two halves. On the Southern Railway not-quite-in-Cornwall bit I use Peco Code 75 - and move points by hand where feasible. On the other bit, US HO with Peco Code 83, many of my points have a Tortoise attached. In the common-to-both hidden sidings I use Peco motors. The Devon bit is the simplest to wire, the hidden sidings are easy because the Peco motors can sit above the baseboard, while mounting a Tortoise underneath the baseboard takes time and Anglo-Saxon - but the slow-motion looks realistic, and the additional contacts add value. Everything in life has a trade-off, and point operation is no different!

the postie brought a nice small box today. Inside was a Bettie from Kernow models in Southern black. Here are a couple of lame o pics of it. I plan to use it as a station pilot engine to switch coaches about the platforms

post-10493-0-29916700-1331272156_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-83816100-1331272185_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-77897100-1331272206_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-97065300-1331272240_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-37661000-1331272274_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Now that's it's cold out (below 70, into the 60's ) I Got some more track put down and starting to build some platformspost-10493-0-45390500-1359600313_thumb.jpgpost-10493-0-87211900-1359600355_thumb.jpgpost-10493-0-78780900-1359600423_thumb.jpgpost-10493-0-86471900-1359600498_thumb.jpg  I'm using Peco platform sides with Wills Victorian paving stones

Now that's it's cold out (below 70, into the 60's ) I Got some more track put down and starting to build some platformsattachicon.gifIMG_6414.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6413.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6412.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6411.JPG  I'm using Peco platform sides with Wills Victorian paving stones

Hello John

A useful progress report! Do I detect a(nother) Northstar coach? I would guess a D132 (Lav) Brake Third, and in Maunsells unlined olive green.  Very tasty for mainline to branch line transfer workings, and I believe exactly right for time and place.

Be well,

PB

Hi John.

Just stumbled across your layout thread. Good to see another Southern layout in progress. The Martin Finney Loco's and Northstar coaches really look the part.

I notice that your Northstar coaches don't appear to have any couplings fitted, have you thought about what type you are going to use on them?

like your thoughts re the KISS principal and so far for my new layout (Camel Quay) have managed to just get away with two DCC bus wires running between the boards. I'll be putting up some photos of the wiring in the layout thread later tonight if your interested.

I was going to use the Peco Platform sides myself, but having seen some photos of the platforms from 'Branchlines to Padstow' decided against it. Still looking for an alternative, although the Unit Models platform edges look as though might fit the bill.

Keep the pictures coming,

Ray.

Hello John

A useful progress report! Do I detect a(nother) Northstar coach? I would guess a D132 (Lav) Brake Third, and in Maunsells unlined olive green.  Very tasty for mainline to branch line transfer workings, and I believe exactly right for time and place.

Be well,

PB

Adrian built a very nice rake for me. I'll get the rest on the track for a "family" photo.

thanks for your interest

Need to figure out a station nect.  Was thinking about one from the Townstreet range.

Thoughts or ideas from the the teeming masses are always welcome

John

Hi John.

Just stumbled across your layout thread. Good to see another Southern layout in progress. The Martin Finney Loco's and Northstar coaches really look the part.

I notice that your Northstar coaches don't appear to have any couplings fitted, have you thought about what type you are going to use on them?

like your thoughts re the KISS principal and so far for my new layout (Camel Quay) have managed to just get away with two DCC bus wires running between the boards. I'll be putting up some photos of the wiring in the layout thread later tonight if your interested.

I was going to use the Peco Platform sides myself, but having seen some photos of the platforms from 'Branchlines to Padstow' decided against it. Still looking for an alternative, although the Unit Models platform edges look as though might fit the bill.

Keep the pictures coming,

Ray.

The coaches have screw links attached.  Freight cars will have KD's. Always interested in the work of fellow modelers, how else can we learn new things?.  I'll take the platform built so far outside and get a better picture of it.  The side that is away from the normal viewing angle has the paper bricks that are supplied and the viewers side will have embossed plastic brick sheets.

The coaches have screw links attached. 

I'd like to see a photo of how you connect up the coaches if you get a chance, Adrian built up a few for me from left over etches just before he closed is books - I've fitted Kadees to the bogies but i'm not that happy with the way they look so looking for alternatives.

The side that is away from the normal viewing angle has the paper bricks that are supplied and the viewers side will have embossed plastic brick sheets.

Ah, my mistake, I thought they were the concrete platform edges which is what I have, they look all wrong for the area. I forgot Peco do a plain version that you can add your own brick/stonework sheets to.

I also see you have the Bachmann/Kernow signal box. I'm in a bit of a dilemma over this. The Stone one (Wadebridge) is the right material for my location, but the steps and rodding exits are on the wrong side, Bude has the steps on the right side but brick built. I guess I'll have to compromise for the time being until I get time to scratch built something.

I've not come across Townstreet Models before i'll have to look them up.

All the best

Ray.

I'd like to see a photo of how you connect up the coaches if you get a chance, Adrian built up a few for me from left over etches just before he closed is books - I've fitted Kadees to the bogies but i'm not that happy with the way they look so looking for alternatives.

Ah, my mistake, I thought they were the concrete platform edges which is what I have, they look all wrong for the area. I forgot Peco do a plain version that you can add your own brick/stonework sheets to.

I also see you have the Bachmann/Kernow signal box. I'm in a bit of a dilemma over this. The Stone one (Wadebridge) is the right material for my location, but the steps and rodding exits are on the wrong side, Bude has the steps on the right side but brick built. I guess I'll have to compromise for the time being until I get time to scratch built something.

I've not come across Townstreet Models before i'll have to look them up.

All the best

Ray.

Hello again John (Good morning this side of the pond, probably midnight over there).

Dare I say that we seem to have similar aims and choice of hardware.  I have to cope with a septuagenarian's eyesight and fumbling digits, so I chose to abandon 3-link and screw couplings in favour of modern narrow tension lock. This also helps avoid buffer-lock on my layout curves. I know it doesn't look as good, but when eyesight becomes an issue, a compromise becomes easier.

post-489-0-78537000-1360061577.jpg

Adrian has been busy!

PB

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Need to figure out a station nect.  Was thinking about one from the Townstreet range.

Thoughts or ideas from the the teeming masses are always welcome

John

Nice stock!

Mrs. Sasquatch got me the Wills CK16 southern style station kit for Christmas. These kits are a little time consuming but very adaptable and give excelent results. Being an LNER modeler I will adapt it by doing away with the fancy tiles, there are wills brick sheets, slates and windows in the post.

Peco do a stone or brick station with station house to extend it and Bachmann's OO Highley Station House (44-142) might also suit your location.

Good to know that there's a few of us on the west coast!

Shaun.

Nice stock!

Mrs. Sasquatch got me the Wills CK16 southern style station kit for Christmas. These kits are a little time consuming but very adaptable and give excelent results. Being an LNER modeler I will adapt it by doing away with the fancy tiles, there are wills brick sheets, slates and windows in the post.

Peco do a stone or brick station with station house to extend it and Bachmann's OO Highley Station House (44-142) might also suit your location.

Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

t

Thanks for your interest in my project. There are only a handful of on this side of the world.  I'll take another look at the Wills kits.

thanks.

Your pic looks like how I feel some days

John

Hi Shaun,

t

Thanks for your interest in my project. There are only a handful of on this side of the world.  I'll take another look at the Wills kits.

thanks.

Your pic looks like how I feel some days

John

Nice stock!

Shaun.

I've also got some LNER equipment. I was going to do a small (2x6 foot) layout od a coal mine. Perhaps I'll work onthat when the "big" project needs a break

John

• RMweb Premium

Me too! Theres a small LMS shelf layout in the office for when it's too cold in the garage......

Then there's Dunster, the GWR exhibition layout. Didn't have the space for any of these back in Europe. 

Edit:    And... I`ve always wanted to build Ventnor West, Southern!

Over the weekend I turned the layout around so I can start working on what I'm calling the North side of the yard. Picked up some more turnouts and pressing on. I'll post some pics later tonight, once the camera is re-charged.

That's a nice collection of Northstar coaches John. I only managed to get hold of 3 from Adrian from etches he had left over before he closed his books. Totally missed out on his Pull/Push sets. BoHoo. I have a BTK, BCK and a TK (think that's the right terminology) , I'll dig out the diagram nos. and post a picture if your interested.

Ray.

Some promising carriage formations beginning to appear. What will be your longest train?

PB

Not sure, Adrian did a real nice 5 car set for me in Olive, so that will be the longest no doubt. I've got a number of plastic coaches as well as a few Comet's I've built. I'm trying to stay Pre-war as much as possible. Just ordered a few seats and hand barrows from Ivan at Southwark today.

That's a nice collection of Northstar coaches John. I only managed to get hold of 3 from Adrian from etches he had left over before he closed his books. Totally missed out on his Pull/Push sets. BoHoo. I have a BTK, BCK and a TK (think that's the right terminology) , I'll dig out the diagram nos. and post a picture if your interested.

Ray.

always love to see pics of what others have and are doing

• 3 weeks later...

A nice package of goodies from Southwark Bridge Models arrived last week. Some various platform barrows and seats.post-10493-0-74067300-1363237766_thumb.jpgpost-10493-0-32000300-1363237790_thumb.jpg

Looks like I've got a nice little project this weekend

Archived