Wadebridge, North Cornwall in 00 (formerly Padstow)

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

I have been inspired to start a brand new layout, and stick to it. I was thinking about Padstow, but the new signal box is based on wadebridge so i am now going to try and build wadebridge. this new layout will come in useful with the building of penquite, ie swapping the stock and not having to buy all new, and as i love all things southern i decided i would try to build it. i already have two WR locos, 2x 55xxs 5500 and 5552. these will be used for bodmin services. i also have T9 120 but not in the correct livery. thanks for looking

• 1 month later...

If it is of interest to you "Wadebridge" was featured in January 2010 edition of Railway Modeller, although that layout is in O guage and is set in the 1850's and 1860's.

Kev

For Wadebridge you want Modellers Back Track Feb/March 1995 which has the 1mm/ft scale drawings of many of the buildings. Providing very useful for my N scale Wadebridge project. Both Wadebridge and Padstow are surprisingly large sites (although not as big as say Launceston which would be a cracker given room). Lack of space on the other side of the room alas meant I couldn't do a modern image Wadebridge + Padstow even with some judicious 'Beeching' of the plan - so I shall probably stick Tresmeer there instead.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

HI Padstow

Have you looked at the book called ; An Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway, by Irwell press.

Has all the track planes and signal layout For Wadebridge , a very good book and well worth getting if you are going to build this line .

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

HI Padstow

Have you looked at the book called ; An Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway, by Irwell press.

Has all the track planes and signal layout For Wadebridge , a very good book and well worth getting if you are going to build this line .

All the best

Darren

Absolutely agree, and it is very readable to boot, so modelling the line is not a necessary reason for buying it - anyone with a fondness for the Southern in the West will love it. What's more, at least one illustrious RMWebber had a major hand in the additional writing produced for this much-enlarged edition. The depth of research is simply stunning in some parts. As Darren says, Highly Recommended!

HI Padstow

All the best

Darren

Not all the Wadebridge track plans are correct. For the late era plans check the photographic evidence and it shows clearly that at least one pair of points are missing from the sketch layout.

Comparing maps and the main Wadebridge drawing is also a good idea as the maps and drawing don't appear to tally well in both directions at the scale quoted (although has someone put it over two pages its a pita to measure anyway)

Alan

Archived