PCs Workbench

Paul Cram

The Branchlines frames have a much better outline. The motion is a bit too chunky, though, so you can use the Comet valve gear fret instead. Also beware the Branchlines cast crossheads - they are generic and not easy to work with.

Hi Morgan, thanks for that but I have already assembled them. It was when I came to fit the exactoscale hornblocks that the cut out size became apparent. I have acquired a set of Branchlines frames from ebay and I am considerer binning the comet ones and using these. This is partly why I haven't progressed this further yet.

Damn, too late!  That might be a wise move noting Ivan's additional comments.

Assuming you are using the old metal Exactoscale hornblocks and guides IIRC they are 5mm extreme width whereas most others are 6mm.  A good trick I found is to just put one slit up the centre of the cut out and then fold out each resulting side of the cut out to 90 degrees.  The resulting slot comes out very close to 5mm and then the Exactoscale guide can be slid into place.  It worked a treat on a set of Comet Black 5 frames.  I don't see why the technique could not be applied to other designs with nominal 6mm wide cut outs that are half etched.

Morgan

Edited by mlgilbert30

The Branchlines frames have a much better outline. The motion is a bit too chunky, though, so you can use the Comet valve gear fret instead. Also beware the Branchlines cast crossheads - they are generic and not easy to work with.

Thanks for that, I'll look at mixing the comet parts for the motion as these are already built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...