Heljan loco wheels for 31.5mm gauge track

Dmudriver

Hi

I am in the final stages of planning my new layout and I want my pointwork building to 31.5mm gauge, widening out to 32mm for the rest of the track on the layout. My reasoning being to get better looks but, principally, better running. So far, I've used Peco pointwork and some Marcway.

I recall seeing somewhere (and I can't find it through the search facility) a thread where a modeller was talking about thinning down some of the Heljan wheels and flanges to enable (or improve) running on 31.5mm track. Before I get too far, I want to be sure I can run the locos OK. I've got a 33 and 2x 37s.

Can anyone else remember this, or has anyone any experience of running Heljan locos on 31.5mm track?

Rod

Hi

I have experience of running a 31.5mm layout, Heyside, and there are problems with Heljan diesels. The early Heljan diesels had a bizarre profile, that would sale through PECO pointwork, but not through 31.5mm. However, they seem (or had it pointed out to them) to have recognised the problem, and the later diesels have a far better profile. While I can't give a definitive answer for all Heljan diesels, I can say that I have experience of the following:

Hymek No

47 No

20 Yes

Deltic Yes

Mk 1 coaches Yes

No = they won't go through at all.

Yes = they will go through without adjustment.

I have no experience of their other diesels.

If someone wants to bring a chipped Heljan diesel to run on Heyside to expand the list, I am more than happy to give it a run.

Richard

Hi Richard.

Thanks for that. It ties in with what I remember from what I'd read before - that the early ones were problematic. However, the 37 is right in between the ones you've listed!!!

I'd like to take up the offer to run it/them on Heyside, if that really is possible. And it would fill out your list of what will and what won't!! I've looked at some of your Heyside threads and it looks really interesting. I'm in the process of planning a new layout as I said above and more knowledge of 31.5mm gauge would be useful. Could I pm you?

Rod

Archived