Mystery GW 14XX

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

As a follow on to my enquiry about Farish 00 kings, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50452-info-on-old-00-gwr-king/page__gopid__582420 at the bottom of the box was this, given to me at the same time years ago. The chassis has H.I.D. stamped on it.(anything to do with Hamblings?) It looks to be somebody's production with 'seamless' brass joints in the superstrucure (no evidence of scratchbuilding/solder etc..)

post-6728-0-42296000-1326722031_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-50401400-1326722065_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-63426100-1326722080_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-65139200-1326722534_thumb.jpg

And for the next challenge any idea on the origins of this 'Jinty/Bagnall' monstrosity. It seems to have been moulded in lead or something similar.

It's worse than my favourite Gaiety Pannier! I use it as a track weight!

post-6728-0-50949800-1326722756_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-44513700-1326722775_thumb.jpg

The 14xx looks as if it was based on the Roche drawing as was the K's one. The footplate area in front of the smokebox is to short on both models. The 'Airfix' one was based on a better drawing and is 'longer' in this area.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 8 years later...

The "Jinty" is a LBSC E2.

I can't remember who made them, but Reidpath seems about right. They were ten a penny. They were push along toys like the Budgie Jinty. Got one somewhere bought from Hattons in the 1970s. He had a huge box full of them.

https://www.diecastvintagetoys.co.uk/budgie-224-2-locomotive

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

I've got an 0-6-0 body picked up at Shipley show a couple of years ago.  Pretty certain it's SR.  There's not a lot of room inside the body which, in a way, has compromised my intention to motorise it  as a mega-hauler which I'm sure it would be with a High Level gearbox and Mashima motor!

1077388215_Essartank.A.jpg.da4c1f3fd539bb7629c7503404a49290.jpg

No chimney, dome or whistles but I'm sure I'd have something to fit ^_^

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So it seems they did a round top and a Belpaire firebox version.

Assuming they are all from the same source.

Jason

Ha!  Never noticed that!  I think they are the same - but proof would be useful:unsure:

According to what can found on Google yes they did round top and Belpaire firebox versions of the 0-6-0T. 

There were two round top boilered locos used by P D Hancock both attributed to Stewart Reidpath and Bertiedog had a topic a few years ago relating to a Belpaire boilered example.   " A rather tired at over 66 years old Stewart Reidpath 060, a product designed Pre-war but made in the late 1940's and on to about 1952. It is the sister of the Reidpath 060 with a plain boiler, with the top changed to a Belpaire box."

As I have been unable to acquire a Stewart Reidpath catalogue or trace a definitive history of the company I am afraid that is the best evidence I can place before you relating to the production of the two types.    

Malcolm 

• Thanks 1

Undertaking more SR/Essar research and I came accross this posting by Bertiedog on April 5, 2011 in the Essar Locomotives.  How rare? thread.  As Bertiedog worked for Hamblings I presume this is necessary confirmation two types of 0-6-0T were produced.

Malcolm 

PS - I note Bertiedog was last active on RMWeb in Sept. 2018.  Has he passed on or is he just not posting on RMWeb anymore?

That list is right, the Bulleid should be included as S-R made the moulds and did the castings for Hamblings., the same applied to the 08 Diesel(sold as LMS/ GWR as well. Gnats were not sold direct from S-R, only Hamblings. There was an HO version of the cast standard tank, without the Belpaire firebox top, sold pre-war only. Stewart Reidpath personally preferred HO to 00, his ESSAR motor design could fit either scale.

The cast standard tank in 4mm has two version, one with Belpaire and one without. The brass mould used was the same, with just the top part of the mould changed before pouring the lead in. The Belpaire boxed one was also made for a time with a tapered top boiler, to be sold as a GWR variant. I was told the mould part got damaged and was discarded, so these are the rarest.

S-R moulds were brass/bronze blocks, held together by hinges and pegs, in several parts that were assembled and fitted into steel tongs to handle them. The whole lot was heated on a gas ring to about 200C to dry it and ready it for casting. One cast was made and discarded, the temperature would then be right for further castings as long as no problems occurred.

Very much a cottage industry production, low volume, but did make a very sound body for further detailing. I do know the details from very direct experience as I worked at Hamblings in the period that they still cast accessories etc., with the then elderly S-R moulds. I also repaired several, and tried to trace the loco ones, but the then owner had removed the loco ones and they vanished. At various points in the 1950/60/70 period the old moulds were used for further production in the Cecil Court workshop, or by Kirdon or other sub contractors, so exact age of the castings is difficult to determine, but no locos were made after about 1959/60, only the bogies, parts and buffer stops etc., All Hamblings cast parts were ex S-R products bar some moulds made by me.

Stephen.

• Informative/Useful 5

20 hours ago, dunwurken said:

The Belpaire boxed one was also made for a time with a tapered top boiler, to be sold as a GWR variant. I was told the mould part got damaged and was discarded, so these are the rarest.

This would explain why one I placed a bid for on ebay a couple of years ago went for over £100. It was a very nicely painted with the GWR roundel, safety valve with top feed and the original SR/Essar mech which did not appear to have much running. I always wondered why a non prototypical loco sold for so much money.

Dave R.

• Like 1