An Asymetrical double outside slip in 2mm

StuartM

• RMweb Gold

Moreswell viaduct

pedantic mode on....you mean moorswater viaduct....pedantic mode off... :laugh:

Thanks Stuart...makes it more difficult to photograph though!

I think the next time I need some complex turnouts built...I will be sending you a paid up return ticket to Barcelona...lovely stuff :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work there Stuart. A well made point will often work without the check rails most of the time. The check rails are there for the odd time the wheels are trying hit the crossing nose. Your 04 must be a sure footed beast.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Pete, blue tack, along with cocktail sticks, are two of the most important elements in any modellers toolkit!

Cocktail sticks?...to add the cherry in the Vodka Martini...shaken, not stirred... :D

I have tooth picks instead in mine Jerry...and now Blu tack!...

Been using Blue tac for years and wouldn't be without it (your welcome)

It gets used for so many things

Like holding bits of brass or rail in place while soldering

Temporarily holding bits of building together while the glue sets

sticking lineside equipment in place

Holding track down until glued or pinned

and of course as temporary buffers from time to time

I too use cocktail sticks which are another useful tool along with cotton buds

It's enough to make anyone starting making their own trackwork (albeit with kits) .. i.e. me.. weep. Absolutely superb!

thanks Jon

A year ago I couldn't make a simple turnout for toffee but patience and persistence (or as head office calls it ocd and stubbornness) can overcome most learning curves :banghead: :good:

thanks Jon

A year ago I couldn't make a simple turnout for toffee but patience and persistence (or as head office calls it ocd and stubbornness) can overcome most learning curves

I too found trackwork quite intimidating at first, but I have now come to realise that it is actually one of the simpler tasks in model railways. Most of the components are readily available, along with jigs to make things easier. It follows a few simple rules. Compare that to scratchbuilding a loco, for example!

The truth tables have now been worked out and proved and all the relivant sections wired to a connection point on the underside of the baseboard from which they can be connected to the control circuit once it's built.

At the moment I've run some tempoary wires from the connection point to a breadboard on the top of the baseboard.

Each section of the slip or tandum turnout has a different coloured wire and the ten wires from the trackwork are connected to the back of the breadboard (silly name I know) and jumper wires are then used to connect the wires as required and is a good way working out what connects to what with out having to constantly twist and untwist the wires together.

post-10866-0-10823700-1329002976_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-44609400-1329002990_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-60277000-1329003011_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-33054900-1329003029_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Hi Stuart

Orange and violet can be joined together electrically as both are controlled by the first switch.

Hth and keep up the good work

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Stuart on your electrical contacts shoun't the last one be reversed i.e + green - red/black. Your approach is different to mine you seem to have made the common crossing one piece electrically with the stock rails. I would wire it as two normal turnouts intermingled with the obtuse crossings and slip rails fed via a double pole switch linked to the associated turnout at the top. I.e if the turnout is thrown to allow something to cross over the slip ( or divert onto the slip rail ) it would be fed from the top line. I assume you would feed the green/yellow through a separate section switch. I try to avoid too many section switches.

Don

Don,

The sections wil be switched by relays operated by transistors operated by a pic so one button press will switch all sections on/off as required

Also never having done this before I'm working it out as I go along.

Look upon this as the prototype version; The production version would be built with all the mistakes corrected

John,

The turnout mecanisims used to switch the blades are homemade units constructed from plastic and brass

Thanks

I'm still riding the learning curve but I learn something with each new turnout.

The easitrack chairs stick to the pcb sleepers no problem using super glue.

It's the solders that hold the rails inplace, the easitrack chairs are all left loose until everything is completed and proven to work, then and only then do I glue them in place

Rgds,

StuartM

That's inspiring work Stuart.

The idea of combining the plastic chairs with soldered track is great.

Have you had any trouble with the easitrac chairs distorting with the heat? I assume you slide them on at the last possible moment.

Cheers

That's inspiring work Stuart.

The idea of combining the plastic chairs with soldered track is great.

Have you had any trouble with the easitrac chairs distorting with the heat? I assume you slide them on at the last possible moment.

Cheers

They are a pain to use but to answer your question, they are all slid onto the rail and the rail is soldered at 2 or 3 points, if I have to solder near the easitrack chairs I slide them out the way, solder the rail and then slide them back into place, which is why I don't glue them down until the trackwork is completed. However try as I might one or two do succumb to heat or mechanical damage.

Guest jim s-w

Nicely spotted, thanks! :locomotive:

How's BNS coming along ?

Your welcome. As for BNS, the layout itself, it isnt. I havent touched it for nearly 5 months.

Cheers

Jim

Your welcome. As for BNS, the layout itself, it isnt. I havent touched it for nearly 5 months.

Cheers

Jim

That's a shame, I enjoyed viewing it and meeting you at Truro last year or the year before (we discussed signalling) but sometimes it's good to take a break from long term projects. Best wishes for its continuation at some point

Rgds,

StuartM

Euston we have a problem

The rebuilding of the Tandem Turnout has created a problem which slowly became apparent after I’d wired the Tandem Turnout up and tried to run the 04 through it. The first issue being that for whatever reason the replaced sleepers did not go down as level as I’d thought and this led to a slight unevenness in the track causing the 04 to wobble badly when crossing one of the frogs. In order to overcome this flaw I placed a sanding block across the whole turnout and sanded the railheads until all railheads were the same height. This in turn caused another problem; although my trusty 4 wheeled mineral wagon ran through the point flawlessly the 04 didn’t, banging and bouncing its way in a dreadful manor and this was because now the railheads were lower, the flanges were bouncing along the tops of the easitrack chairs, ahhhhhh!. :banghead:

The really annoying thing is that my converted class 24 with drop in wheel sets traverses the Tandem turnout perfectly as does the mineral truck but the 04 with turned wheels won’t and because I want a shunting layout and not another depot the only realistic option is to rip this turnout up and start again. At least this time I’ll know how it goes together.

I should point out the big lesson for me here is that next time I build complex pointwork I’m going to use a sheet of 2mm steel as the base so I can ensure (as much as possible) a dead flat level running surface.

I'm away from the workbench for a few weeks now so this will have to wait until sometime in March before it can be rectified.

• RMweb Gold

Bad luck Stuart. I prefer to lay track in situ on the baseboard that way once its down I don't have to move it. Other than knocking the sharp edges off here and there I would not expect to sand the top. However if a sleeper appreared high I would either replace or sand that.If low a bit of thin card packing will do the job.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that Stuart.

Are you sure you don't want to use the 24 as the shunter?! Might be easier...

Walk away, come back fresh and it will go better next time (coming from the guy whose models always go through a catalogue of highs and lows)

Stuart - still inspirational.

Your efforts inspired me to get a bit more ambitious and have a go at a 3 way turnout, which so far has gone well.

I now have to work out how to wire it up, having dived in as usual, into the mechanicals!!

I look forward to seeing mk2 sometime.

Chris

Archived