Missing Thread

Didn't see the thread so don't know when/where/how the pictures were taken, and this cuts across the "copyright" thread elsewhere in RMweb. If they were taken at an exhibition, with or without the layout owners permission, surely the copyright lies with the photographer? The priciple is the same as photos of celebrities at airports etc.

If the pictures were taken by the layout owner then they are his alone to publish if he sees fit to do so.

Don't want to set off a competing copyright thread, has this been discussed there?

The topic has been removed as the images may have been published without the layout owner's consent.

Thank you for the clarification Andy. Hopefully just a misunderstanding & we can all view what appears to be a wonderful layout.

Didn't see the thread so don't know when/where/how the pictures were taken, and this cuts across the "copyright" thread elsewhere in RMweb. If they were taken at an exhibition, with or without the layout owners permission, surely the copyright lies with the photographer? The priciple is the same as photos of celebrities at airports etc.

If the pictures were taken by the layout owner then they are his alone to publish if he sees fit to do so.

Don't want to set off a competing copyright thread, has this been discussed there?

It did appear the photographs were taken where the layout normally resides, therein may lie the problem.

I visited Retford a good four or five years ago through a friend, and the first thing Mr Jackson asked, was that photographs or videos taken were not subsequently put up on the internet. I have respected that request ever since, and will continue to do so.

It seems only fair, and the right thing to do, to abide by the laws of the house, though obviously if our Norwegian friend was unaware, it's a simple enough mistake, and no harm done as the thread is no longer in public view.

I'll let you know when I've spoken to the owner.

Totally understandable if the images were taken at the owner's home as discussed above but if they were taken while at a show by someone else then PMP's comments apply. I think I may have a couple of images I took when it (part of it) was on show at some expo. Though I think I would still respect the owner's wishes not to post.

However, if the thread contained a more general discussion about the layout, giving the owner of the layout a say on the reinstatement of the thread is a bit questionable and amounts to censorship. Surely there is no such bar on discussions of a layout merits/demerits on RMWeb?

Totally understandable if the images were taken at the owner's home as discussed above but if they were taken while at a show by someone else then PMP's comments apply. I think I may have a couple of images I took when it (part of it) was on show at some expo. Though I think I would still respect the owner's wishes not to post.

However, if the thread contained a more general discussion about the layout, giving the owner of the layout a say on the reinstatement of the thread is a bit questionable and amounts to censorship. Surely there is no such bar on discussions of a layout merits/demerits on RMWeb?

There wouldn't be a bar on discussion I would think. Its the photographs which might be the problem & a discussion on a layout wouldn't have the same appeal without photos..

From memory the appeal of the thread was the pics and I can't recall too much in the way of comment or description. If I'm correct and you removed the pics, the bulk of the content would be gone.

Just realised I sound like a Sun reader, but in the case the pics really did say it all.

• RMweb Premium

Those of you hoping to see something of Retford on RMWeb need not worry too much. When Hawk visited and took the photos, it was on the understanding that they were to be for publication in a very good magazine that he is involved with, published in Norway and were not intended for use elsewhere. There has been a bit of a misunderstanding over this, which has been all sorted out now.

Although Hawk's pictures were very good quality as photos and as a record of his visit, they were taken on what was a very informal day and there was no attempt at any form of prototypical running, due mainly to there not being a full operating crew. There were just two, Roy and a bloke with a rather big bald patch, which he hadn't seen before because he doesn't usually look at the back of his own head (damn & blast!).

This resulted in a number of the photos showing situations and operations on the layout that would never have happened in real life and therefore don't normally happen when the Retford layout is being operated "properly".

Initial discussions had already taken place regarding having something about Retford on RMWeb and these have now been taken further forward.

Roy, quite rightly, wants his layout to look its best on here (as far as something still very much "work in progress" can) and so arrangements are in hand for a further photo shoot to take place in the near future, with more emphasis on recreating the correct operating practices of the real Retford.

So please have a little patience and it won't be long before Retford is back on RMWeb, with some words to go with the photos.

Tony

• 6 months later...

Archived