Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

• RMweb Premium

Re the Welshpool show. 

The Club doesn't meet in Newtown, but at (or technically, near) Garthmyl between Newtown and Welshpool. Our biggest contingent of members comes from Church Stoke. Until recently for a while I was the only member living in Newtown!

But the reason the exhibition is in Welshpool is that it is a much better venue than any in Newtown and they make us really welcome. It's right on the main shopping street and so very visible to the passing trade. But all those reading this are more than welcome of course. Last year we had 500 through the door, a record for recent years. Help us to beat that in 2015.

I'll post details in the Exhibitions thread when they are finalised by our tireless Secretary.

Jonathan David

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've never been to the NEWGOG show - well, to be honest, I've never been inside the Lysaght, either.

What's this show normally like - much in the way of layouts - trade support - demonstrators - that sort of stuff?

Edited by Huw Griffiths

This is its second year, it's a great location recently renovated, last year was one room this year it's two, good trade support about 5 layouts and a big test track.

I was there last year with my Canton this year I'm just visiting. It's run by Fred Lewis sponsored by the gauge o guild. well worth a visit

Opens at 10AM

Sat 24 Oct 2015 Welshpool ...............................Well it's the Newtown club, but they are holding it in Welshpool.

That's the Welsh for you, but is so typical as the Colwyn club hold their show in Llandudno.

Perhaps they ought to hold the Cardiff show in Barry?

Any predictions about the score this evening?  

I don't think we'll see another 30-3 this time (more's the pity)

Ooh that being my birthday looks like I know what I'm doing now! 

Any news about a date for the Colwyn/Llandudno Show please?

(I was going to say 'in case SWMBO can't make it' but thought it might confuse the issue).

Hi DDolfein

Below details of the show taken from there web site.

Colwyn Model Railway Club 

Exhibition  2015

SATURDAY 25TH & SUNDAY 26TH JULY.

10.00AM - 4.00PM

CRAIG Y DON COMMUNITY CENTRE.

QUEENS ROAD. CRAIG Y DON.

LLANDUDNO.

LL30 1TE.

ADULTS £3.50 - CHILDREN £2.00.

PLENTY OF FREE PARKING

REFRESHMENTS AVAILABLE.

I will be there with my layout Watermill Halt DCC (see the thread on here)

Peter

• 5 weeks later...

Wittering Moor in 'N' should be finished by then but I can't offer it for display - I'm running an event on the Sunday (see below).

Will have to look for another venue I can reach in under three hours!

• 3 weeks later...

CARDIFF SHOW 17 - 18 October 2015.

I'm sure it's here somewhere here, but I can't see it....
Their 30th South Wales Show, (Oh happy memories when it was in Sophia Gardens...)
at Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf (CF14 2JL)
Admission £5, under 12's Free.
Visit http://www.cardiffmodelrail.org.uk/for more details.

I think the web site should have white lettering on the dark brown totems, might be easier to read.. ?

Edited by Penlan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm given to understand that is correct. Due to the RWC matches there is a lack of reasonably priced hotel rooms in the city where exhibitors and demonstrators can be accommodated. The nearest reasonably priced hotel rooms are in Swansea, Gloucester and Aust, too far away to expect them to travel back and fore during the show. I'm told he organisers attempted to set a new date a week or two later, but the venue was unavailable. As a result the 2015 show appears to have been cancelled.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked the Swansea show and there seemed to be a good few kids looking at the layouts as well, which was good to see.

My favourite lay-out, I have to admit, was the Vale of Rheidol narrow gauge that looped round itself three times in a circuit. Good fun to see. 

There were some really nice looking much larger models there too (Gauge 3 or bigger). 

I went with an engineer and her soon-to-be husband. Hopefully they will get the model railway bug. 

It seems that exhibitions are a bit like buses in my sleepy part of West Wales. Nothing for ages, then two come along at once!

24th October - West Wales O Gauge Group in Carmarthen - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/10204-OpenDay

24th October - Model Rail Show, National Wool Museum, Drefach Felindre - http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/wool/whatson/8402/Model-Rail-Show-/

I suppose it will have to be a frantic drive to get to both of them, rather than the planned leisurely bus trip to Carmarthen, although the bus does pass the Wool Museum on the way to Carmarthen.

It seems that exhibitions are a bit like buses in my sleepy part of West Wales. Nothing for ages, then two come along at once!

24th October - West Wales O Gauge Group in Carmarthen - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/10204-OpenDay

24th October - Model Rail Show, National Wool Museum, Drefach Felindre - http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/wool/whatson/8402/Model-Rail-Show-/

I suppose it will have to be a frantic drive to get to both of them, rather than the planned leisurely bus trip to Carmarthen, although the bus does pass the Wool Museum on the way to Carmarthen.

Strangely,neither is listed in the Modeller...

I think local events are kept secret. I only discovered the one two miles down the road because someone exhibiting there happened to mention it on the Narrow Gauge Modelling Online forum last night. And I was aware the the O Gauge one may be happening sometime so went Googling for it.

Apparently there's a general modelling exhibition in Hermon (Pembrokeshire) next month, but the internet doesn't seem to know about it!

I will be at the Carmarthen show doing a DCC PC Control demo. Always a nice show, well worth a visit even if you are not into 7mm.

A great friendly bunch :sungum:

Unfortunately I am now into 7mm, but fortunately I haven't got the slightest interest in DCC, so you won't be able to persuade me to spend even more on it :jester:.

I've found the Welsh to be extremely secretive about their exhibitions, apart from Cardiff MRC's.
Oh, and Swansea has appeared on RMweb too.

Carmarthen, I must look that up as I'm seeking some local knowledge (OK, Llandileo) on a PO wagon who's owner I cannot trace anywhere in Directories etc., Dunn & Co., Llandilo (sic) circa 1920.

Carmarthen show details.

The Annual Open Day will be held on 24th October 2015 at the usual venue, Community Education Centre, Furnace Road, CARMARTHEN, SA31 1EU. Parking at the adjacent St. Peter's Public Car Park, SA31 1AN

There will be 6 x '0' gauge layouts, including Penfold Priory, Witham Friary, and Highmead Bay, plus Test Track, 2 rail FS and 16mm, with DC and DCC on all tracks, 6 traders, model display, demonstrations, Bring and Buy, Refreshments etc.

Further details from 01267-241232 or mpmarritt@yahoo.co.uk