Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The Welsh Slate Museums Exhibition is on the 16th - 19th Febuary at Llanberis. The South Caernarrfonshire Model Railway Group will be there operating my new Layout Glen Gilllie, together with Rays layout Avago. Myself will be demonstrating various modelling skills. There will be other clubs and layouts in attendence plus the live steam outside. It is a real good show.

Peter

• 2 months later...

A lot of the shows in the more rural parts of Wales are struggling, owing to a lack of supply of suitable layouts that don't require large amounts of expenses (I thought of organising one in Pembrokeshire but hit the same problem). It's a vicious circle - few shows, so people don't build layouts for them (or if they do, the exhibition scouts don't see them!). So there aren't enough layouts to supply the shows.... and not enough shows to justify building the layouts....

So I'd like to encourage any Welsh layout-builders out there to design their layouts for exhibition and to publish them on here at least (in the modelling press better still) to help keep these shows going!

• Like 6

Don't forget the Steel, Steam & Stars III steam gala at the Llangollen Railway from 21st - 29th April (this month) ( www.6880.co.uk)

There are 15 layouts. I am there with Glen Gillie 00 and Waterley Cross 0 gauge and if anybody can help over the 9 days, especially during the week please contact me as now getting desperate.

I agree with RJS1977 comments we in South Caernarfonshire MRG have not staged our annual show for last 2 years due to the increased costs of bringing layouts, hall hire etc and the drop in attendance figures. Instead we have had a couple of Open Days with just one or two layouts and demonstration by the members down at our unit in Nantlle.

I on the other hand have my own trailer and 4X4 and in some cases can take 2 layouts to a show and a demo stand for the same cost as taking 1 in fuel but then we need 4 operators and so it pushes the cost up for overnight stays.Some of my layouts can be seen on my profile if anybody interested. Please feel free to contact me.

A lot of the shows in the more rural parts of Wales are struggling, owing to a lack of supply of suitable layouts that don't require large amounts of expenses (I thought of organising one in Pembrokeshire but hit the same problem). It's a vicious circle - few shows, so people don't build layouts for them (or if they do, the exhibition scouts don't see them!). So there aren't enough layouts to supply the shows.... and not enough shows to justify building the layouts....

So I'd like to encourage any Welsh layout-builders out there to design their layouts for exhibition and to publish them on here at least (in the modelling press better still) to help keep these shows going!

I'm near Newcastle Emlyn, and hope to have a small exhibition layout sometime, but don't hold your breath. I used to do lots of exhibitions, and all my layouts have been built for showing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is a link to this year's Cardiff Show

http://www.cardiffmodelrail.org.uk/

As not all the layouts have been confirmed, it would be improper to post details at the moment.

Please note the venue has changed since last year and is now

Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf,

Llandaff North,

Cardiff.

The older members may remember it as

Glantaff High School !

More information will follow

Brian R

Folks, Don't forget the annual Fathers Day charity event in the PUmping Station, Cardiff

THe good folks of Lord & Butler have arranged another free weekend-long exhibition,

in support of a good cause - this year, I think it's the McMillan Trust....

Shame there aren't too many shows outside the more densely populated areas of Wales...

I'd accept an invitation for somewhere further West

and my expenses are travelling in a family-size car, and accomodadtion - if needed

Any organisers in Pembrokeshire out there? It's my fave place :)

Hi gang

Hope all are well, sorry I have been a bit quiet recently, close family bereavement, illness, etc etc. Anyway, hoping to be back on track from now on!

Planning on getting to the Lord & Butler event on the Saturday, coming up by train from the far west!

It would be nice to have an exhibition of some sorts in Pembrokeshire. Does anyone recollect there being one at some point?

Nearest ones to me have been Aberaeron or Carmarthen, since I have lived here anyway.

Offer still stands Marc of a cup of tea and butty if you are down this way!

Hopefully see you soon.

Hi Two Tone Green

Not really in the Haverfordwest Club on a regular basis nowadays due to other commitments, but three members and myself did get across to the Bristol show the other week.

One thing I do miss about living in Sheffield was the abundance of exhibitions to go to most weekends. I use to set myself a maximum limit of four hours drive each way, but most shows were less than two hours drive. Got to see a lot of the Midlands and Northern England over the years!

Folks, Don't forget the annual Fathers Day charity event in the PUmping Station, Cardiff

THe good folks of Lord & Butler have arranged another free weekend-long exhibition,

in support of a good cause - this year, I think it's the McMillan Trust....

Shame there aren't too many shows outside the more densely populated areas of Wales...

I'd accept an invitation for somewhere further West

and my expenses are travelling in a family-size car, and accomodadtion - if needed

Any organisers in Pembrokeshire out there? It's my fave place :)

Mark

As previously mentioned, I did think of organising a show in Pembs but couldn't find much in the way of layouts. (If you PM me some details I'll bear you in mind if I find any more!).

The only other shows I'm aware of in West Wales are Carmarthen and Aberaeron but I gather they both struggled this year.

• Like 1

Mike, 2 Tone - just noticed your posts too. If you have layouts that could be exhibited, drop me a PM too.

Potentially that gets me up to 6 layouts which could be the basis of something, especially if the Pembrokeshire Scale Modellers were invited too.

Only trouble is the hall I was thinking of booking's now about to be knocked down and rebuilt so isn't taking bookings at the moment!

Richard

• Like 1

My layout is well and truly fixed at home but could manage a demo layout doing DCC, DCC Sound and computer control software.

Only during winter months though. Little chance of getting to do another RR&Co get together for people let alone attend exhibitions as a exhibitor during the warmer months.

• Like 1

If there were more local exhibitions it might inspire me to do something, but don't give me any deadlines!

John, deadlines are the best thing for motivation ;)

It would be great to see more exhibitions in Wales,

so anyone with ideas, please post them.......

PS. A nice weekend show in the sunny West is a must.... :)

• Like 1

John, deadlines are the best thing for motivation ;)

I know, but they're also the best thing for causing stress ;)

I'm thinking of building a small/micro layout that I can run my EM stock, that's been in a box for many years, on. The broad gauge micro layout will take too long to finish, as I need to build more rolling stock and fix loco problems. Just need to fit it in with major work on the house, sorting out my few acres, and trying to make a living!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all.

I dont mind throwing my hat in the ring....................

happy to take a welsh based layout to a welsh show,

had a build fest of late and will have three available come the end of the summer, but only for a short time as one at least has to go...... space for storage is a killer in a two bed flat. lol, but the girlfriends garage is now suffering as its well damp....

castle works, a small steelworks based on allied steel and wire.

waun gron parc halt, a diorama of the cardiff city line station,

and sanatorium road, network rail stabling point loosly based on something similar to taff sidings at the rear of canton.

Marc. see you on saturday at L and B show. i will bring some of the scratch built infrastructure machines i have made to show you.

Rol Minor

Hi all

Looking forward to L&B on Saturday, bought my rail and plus bus tickets today, so all set for the venture eastwards!

Trade-off is that I have to take eldest daughter shopping in Cardiff centre after spending an hour or so at the exhibition!

Who else will be around late morning/early afternoon then?