Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

I have the following dates of some shows in God's country

NewGOG 22nd April at Lysaghts Institute

Swansea MRC 7th/8th October at LC2

West Wales 0 Gauge, Bronwydd Arms 7th October (With Gwili Railway Gala)

Cardiff MR Exhibition 21st/22nd October. Not sure if back at Ysgol Glantaff.

I imagine that with the conflict in dates, one or two shows may change........

And I may have misinterpreted some information, but hope these help.

Chris

I hope some dates do change as I am at the Swansea Show and the West Wales Show.

Thus, Mountain Goat, you see why it's difficult to run a Gig Guide in South Wales... :no:

It does seem as if perhaps there should be some sort of co-ordinating body - given how few shows there are in the area (which in some ways is rather a vicious circle - there aren't many shows so few people build exhibition layouts, which means there's a shortage of layouts to attend shows), it's a shame when two fall on the same day.

That said, my father and I did manage to attend the Woollen Mill and West Wales O gauge shows on the same day last year!

It does seem as if perhaps there should be some sort of co-ordinating body - given how few shows there are in the area (which in some ways is rather a vicious circle - there aren't many shows so few people build exhibition layouts, which means there's a shortage of layouts to attend shows), it's a shame when two fall on the same day.

That said, my father and I did manage to attend the Woollen Mill and West Wales O gauge shows on the same day last year!

The way things are going, in a year or two I might have enough layouts to put on an entire exhibition. But I can only operate one at a time!

The Woollen Mill and WWOG on the same day last year worked out OK for me, as I live less than 2 miles from the Woollen Mill. It seems the WWOG show clashes with Swansea next year, but they've moved to Bronwydd to be on the same day as the Gwili Railway Gala. I wasn't impressed with the parking at Bronwydd this year, as I was lucky to get a space.

I have been advised by the committee that owing to unforeseen circumstances, Barry and Penarth Model Railway Club regrettably have to cancel their 2016 Open Day which was planned for November

As an ex member, this is surprising. Cant recall the event not happening before?? Hope the club have not lost the rooms, I know the con club has been struggling since the smoking ban

I'd hardly call the event at the Wool Museum a model railway exhibition. Only two layouts this year, and the rest was static models, many non railway. The two layouts were the OO9 Teifi Gorge, that seems to appear at every local show, and a tiny American N gauge that I think was at Bronwydd the other week.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Yep Prestatyn Show tomorrow and I will be there demonstrating building work and also with the new bridge based on the Severn Railway Bridge which when finished will be about 10ft long. Will also have a number of my other models depicting the coal mine, a research vessel and some 7mm scale models am making for a 7mm layout.

Hope to see some of you there.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Yep Prestatyn Show tomorrow and I will be there demonstrating building work and also with the new bridge based on the Severn Railway Bridge which when finished will be about 10ft long. Will also have a number of my other models depicting the coal mine, a research vessel and some 7mm scale models am making for a 7mm layout.

Hope to see some of you there.

Peter

Thanks Peter, looking forward to seeing how the bridge in particular is coming on!

Martyn.

The Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2017

Sponsored by Lord & Butler, Cardiff Model Rail Centre, Penarth Road, Cardiff.

Saturday 21st. January, 2017   10:00am – 4:30pm

Scout Association Headquarters, Fields Park Road, Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9HX

Admission -  Adults £3.50p,  Under 14s Free 

Ample free parking

Public Transport – several Cardiff Bus services stop outside ‘The Halfway’ public house, Cathedral Road which is less than five minutes walk to the venue.

. . . . .o o o o o 0 0 0 0 0 o o o o o . . . . .

In cooperation with Messrs Lord & Butler, who have graciously offered to sponsor the event , several local modellers have agreed to exhibit their layouts in a one day show where all proceeds will be donated to local charities.

Further information will be published shortly, but  some of the exhibits and demonstrations so far offered include.........

Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings
Brian Rolley
Early 1970s dingy urban goods yard inhabited by a handful of wagons and a diesel shunter or two, which is operated using a card system, based upon the ‘Inglenook’ principle
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88144-rosamund-street-low-level-sidings/

Wales, rails and steel
Marc Smith
Beatifully modelled 4mm scale ‘00’ South Wales steel works setting with thunder, lightning and rain effects.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21148-my-new-project-south-wales-steelworks/page-1

Sheep Lane
Rob Gunstone
4mm scale ‘00’ overgrown sidings somewhere off the Somerset & Dorset Joint, in its’ dying days, which features some fine examples of weathering..
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94613-western-diversion/

Trevanna Dries
Wayne Crowley
4mm scale ‘EM’ china clay dries somewhere in Cornwall, and which can be operated in several eras including ‘Speedlink’ and early privatisation.

Penny Lane
4mm scale ‘00’
Joshua Lovell
A work in progress, and featuring a night setting . An EWS depot with a wagon repair depot servicing mainly steel wagons. Mainly EWS locos with the last of the earlier railfreight sub sector making an appearance,.

Moose Creek
Brian Tucker
3.5mm scale ‘HO’ set in blizzard conditions, somewhere in the Canadian north west. Featuring Canadian Pacific and British Columbia Railway locomotives, both steam and diesel.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85615-moose-creek-a-world-from-abercynon-fach/

Hafod Road
Steve Dodd
4mm scale ‘00’ – a larger layout which can be operated in different eras.

Moorland Road
Chris. Locke
4mm scale ‘00’ set in the late 1960s / 1970s BR green to blue transition period; all in a length of 7’6”

Other layouts......
In addition members of the Pontypridd Model Railway Club will be displaying a U.S. themed ‘HO’ scale layout, and members of the Bay Model Railway Group will be exhibiting a British Railways Southern Region terminus in 4mm scale ‘00’ featuring third rail electrification.

Invited DEMONSTRATORS include amongst others........

Hywel Thomas
An accomplished 4mm ‘EM’ scale modeller. Hywel will primarily be demonstrating the construction of buildings for his Morfa Bank Sidings layout, set in the Port Talbot area in the early 1970s. Some of Hywel’s work can be found here:-
http://emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_morfabank.html

Graham Tierney
Another renowned modeller, Graham will be demonstrating some of the techniques used in building rolling stock and structures for acclaimed Cardiff 4mm Group layouts Aberdare, Ynysybwl and the clubs current project Pencader.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/33493-ynysybwl/

Barrie ‘Baz’ Jones
Not just building wagons, and weathering them, but their loads as well
Also, once you’ve seen what Baz can build from the household items other folk discard (e.g. an operating wagon tippler), you’ll never throw anything out again !
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115627-shepcote-lane-tippler-sidings/

Watch http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117565-cardiff-small-model-railway-show-2017/    for further information, and any updates.

Brian R

post-1599-0-85624600-1480930515_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 5

• 11 months later...

Prestatyn annual Charity MRE this Saturday:

post-28743-0-94235200-1512394041.jpg

Layouts attending (correct at 1st December) are:

"New Pandora & Geirionydd" - Welsh 0-16.5 mining set in the hills around the Conwy Valley.

"Nannerch" - 'N' scale model of the real station on the Ex LNWR Mold to Denbigh line.

"Lapford" - 'N' scale minimum space layout based on the Exeter - Barnstaple line.

"Maentwrog Road" - Nick Gurney's new 'OO' DCC micro layout of the explosives handling siding *DEBUT*.

"Dim Lle" - 009 Mid Wales 2ft gauge practice.

"Trains of Yesteryear" - '0' Scale classic and modern tinplate trains.

"Seabank" - Group run 'G' scale layout.

"New Bridge Junction" - "N" scale GWR practice Junction layout.

"Llamedos" - '0' scale branch terminus BR late steam / early diesel practice.

"Kingston Servicing Depot" - '00' scale Diesel Depot set in the 1980s.

"Pontypandy" - '00' scale branch terminus set in the Valleys.

"Marlboro Junction" - '00' scale busy terminus - DCC.

"Onabujit Halt" - 'N' scale small space layout built "on a budget" as the name suggests!

"West Ridge, MT" - 'HOn30' American narrow gauge layout set in Montana.

Traders:

World of Motion

Davenden Models

PL Models

North Wales Gifts

Roger Burke.

Modelling demonstration by Peter Midwinter of this Parish.

The Holywell Society & Greenfield Valley Heritage Trust - display of rail/tramway artefacts and photos.

Plus other stands.

Hope to see you at our show, please say hello if you can make it.

Edit to add info.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 2

Prestatyn annual Charity MRE this Saturday:

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1510179091064.jpg

Layouts attending (correct at 1st December) are:

"New Pandora & Geirionydd" - Welsh 0-16.5 mining set in the hills around the Conwy Valley.

"Nannerch" - 'N' scale model of the real station on the Ex LNWR Mold to Denbigh line.

"Lapford" - 'N' scale minimum space layout based on the Exeter - Barnstaple line.

"Maentwrog Road" - Nick Gurney's new 'OO' DCC micro layout of the explosives handling siding *DEBUT*.

"Dim Lle" - 009 Mid Wales 2ft gauge practice.

"Trains of Yesteryear" - '0' Scale classic and modern tinplate trains.

"Seabank" - Group run 'G' scale layout.

"New Bridge Junction" - "N" scale GWR practice Junction layout.

"Llamedos" - '0' scale branch terminus BR late steam / early diesel practice.

"Kingston Servicing Depot" - '00' scale Diesel Depot set in the 1980s.

"Pontypandy" - '00' scale branch terminus set in the Valleys.

"Marlboro Junction" - '00' scale busy terminus - DCC.

"Onabujit Halt" - 'N' scale small space layout built "on a budget" as the name suggests!

"West Ridge, MT" - 'HOn30' American narrow gauge layout set in Montana.

Traders:

World of Motion

Davenden Models

PL Models

North Wales Gifts

Roger Burke.

Modelling demonstration by Peter Midwinter of this Parish.

The Holywell Society & Greenfield Valley Heritage Trust - display of rail/tramway artefacts and photos.

Plus other stands.

Hope to see you at our show, please say hello if you can make it.

Edit to add info.

This exhibition is still on, albeit there may be a couple of amendments due to the weather.

In the unlikely event of the weather causing cancellation I will post on here in the morning.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see this advertised anywhere on the web but while I was in Conwy last Saturday 30th December noticed a few A4 flyers advertising a small "N" guage at a local church within the town walls. Not a bad little show, nice layout of Ruthin station and a large "N" layout under construction.

Just shows power of local adverts placed round the town on lamp posts etc

• 2 months later...