Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

just had a splendid day at the waterfront museum on swansea marina adj to the leisure centre,

there is a solely model railway exhibition there, mainly displaying the various Neath club layouts and assorted modeller stands,

also trade support from MIB and others incl war world scenics and amberly tools, some cracking childrens layouts that really had the younger ellement transfixed, ( Sir Topham hat is operating one layout.........)

IT IS FREE........ and still on tommorow. from ten till 4pm, car parking in the multi storey op. is freee on sundays to boot.

come along there really is something there for the whole familly troop.

• Like 1

Hi again....

Saw this thread this morning, and popped along to the venue with Mrs RW.

I took my Pentax Papilio binoculars along for their first exhibition "test run".

post-6897-0-92299900-1346599004.jpg

Introduced myself to Naturol and we had a good chat...

He took up my offer to look at his Castle Works layout through the binoculars, and I think he was hugely impressed.

I'll let him give his own account later, suffice to say they're on his Christmas wish-list already.

Associated binocular threads are here:

1. http://www.rmweb.co....th-bincoculars/

2. http://www.rmweb.co....gh/page__st__25

The exhibition seemed very popular with the children, and I saw several parents making train-related purchases on the back of it.

From a personal point of view, it was good to see an exhibition in Swansea.

It's been much too long since the last one.

South West Wales modellers need to rise up and put on a show - the venue is ideal.

(I would volunteer if circumstances allowed - on call commitments prevail),

Randall

Edited by RandyWales

Introduced myself to Naturol and we had a good chat...

He took up my offer to look at his Castle Works layout through the binoculars, and I think he was hugely impressed.

I'll let him give his own account later, suffice to say they're on his Christmas wish-list already.

So, mid 40s and he still believes in Santa ?

Brian R

(his big brother)

the sceptic in me had the idea of binoculars to view a layout at close quarters as very much a bit whoop whoop,

But........ what a fantastic experience, i can liken it to the moment that Chris Nevard showed me pictures of layouts taken in studio conditions with decent light and no background interfearance for the first time, none of my hotch potch 3 pixel tatt with a flash.

a first class 3D experience which easilly fools the mind to beleive you are in the scene, in real life, ( helps having a very good quality loco to focus on mind, with fine detail a plenty ( Hornby -08 ) and then a Dapol 67 in EWS livery on the N gauge layout next door,

Yes I can confirm. the binocular view is highly recommended.

great chat with Randy... and he looked after the layout for ten whilst i nipped off, Top Gent.

all in all, a great weekend, shame about the slow puncture on the van and the new tyre needed.

doh

Rolz.

• Like 1

...shame about the slow puncture on the van and the new tyre needed.

What a bummer, Paul....

Discount parking in the multi on a Sunday, but watch out for the nails...

Glad you appreciated the bino's....

Tell the truth though!

Your first remark began with the letter "F".....

Randall

• 1 month later...

Hi again...

I've just returned from a really good outing to the Cardiff exhibition.

I was very impressed by Naturol's Sanatorium Road. He was running around very stressed when the show opened because his DCC Controller failed to work.

I'll let him fill in the details, suffice to say that Paul and his mate Steve had to operate with the controller virutally hidden away underneath one end of the layout.

I'd also wager that Paul will need a pint or three tonight...He was giving Steve detailed operating instructions in step-by-step-by-step, button-by-button-by-button broadcast proclamations.

You could sense the anxiety of a first outing. If he still has a voice after today....

To say that I am impressed with Paul's new layout is a massive understatement - I spent an age watching the movements.

I don't think he'd mind me saying that the layout hasn't got detail at the microscopic level, but what it has got is atmospheric detail in abundance.

Of special note are the many excellent (hand-built) Infrastructure vehicles - they looked superb under close scrutiny through the lenses of my Papillio binoculars.

Another layout I was very impressed with was the Scalefour Allt y Graban Road by Bernie Baker.

It is a simple layout in concept, having a slightly inclined double track mainline along the front, with a couple of sidings to the rear, but it captured the mood of a small yard to perfection.

Watching the trains go by through the binoculars was amazing... I went back time and time again to drink it all in.

The highest compliment I could pay would be to say that this is a layout I’d love to own.

I began by feeling slightly self conscious using the Papillio binoculars at such a large exhibition,

However, I handed them over to many operators and spectators for a trial, and everyone who tried them was very surprised and highly impressed by the realism.

The esteemed Geoff Kent was also expressed astonishment when he viewed some of his own superb buildings through the binoculars.

The only downside of the day...

The dick-h3ad representing the O-Gauge Guild was obnoxiously rude to me calling me a sad individual when I tried to help an elderly gentleman with poor vision who was struggling to examine the motion on a static ‘’O-Gauge” steam locomotive on a rolling road. He was using a hand-held magnifying glass. I got him to try using the binoculars, but as his wife explained, he had very limited vision. He appreciated me trying to help, but it was to no avail.

Randall

Edited to increase the Font size and add photos

post-6897-0-83729400-1350752132.jpg

post-6897-0-96428000-1350752024.jpg

post-6897-0-60959600-1350752042.jpg

post-6897-0-37152300-1350752061.jpg

post-6897-0-51171300-1350752068.jpg

post-6897-0-97760700-1350752090.jpg

post-6897-0-29179500-1350752097.jpg

post-6897-0-19338800-1350752116.jpg

Edited by RandyWales
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All in all a good show though I feel the traders could have done more. Great Venue with plentiful parking and easy access. My lad had a good time, as did his eight week old sister who expressed her enjoyment by sleeping throughout.Lots of familiar faces

Sanatorium Road was a high light.

One downside was the uncanny quiet surrounding said Sanatorium Road.................

Rob

br2975, I'm not sure what nhy581's point is either, although it maybe that the room you were in was a little detached from the rest of the show,

though if one wanted the toilets, you would have known where your (and other displays) were.

Each time I looked into the area where Sanatorium was based, the layout seemed to have plenty of people around it,

perhaps nhy581 means the layout's quite running, and the viewers were so absorbed in the operation of the layout, they were left speechless... :locomotive:

Think positive. :mosking:

Edited by Penlan

br2975, I'm not sure what nhy581's point is either, although it maybe that the room you were in was a little detached from the rest of the show,

though if one wanted the toilets, you would have known where your (and other displays) were.

Each time I looked into the area where Sanatorium was based, the layout seemed to have plenty of people around it,

perhaps nhy581 means the layout's quite running, and the viewers were so absorbed in the operation of the layout, they were left speechless... :locomotive:

Think positive. :mosking:

Sandy.I suspect it's intended as an attempt at humour, as 'nhy581' is a work colleague, where it is accepted that both I, and my brother 'naturol' have the ability to be a little on the loud side !!.As I was unable to attend this years show, and my brother also undertook duties on the door, I've no doubt 'nhy581' is referring to the relative peace and quiet emanating from the rear of the layout..You can rest assured 'nhy581' will be dealt with in an appropriate manner..Brian R

Edited by br2975

..... is referring to the relative peace and quiet emanating from the rear of the layout..

The rear of the layout, ah!!!! No wonder, for as far as I can remember it was operated from the front :nono:

• RMweb Gold

And your point is ?

Your input/observations/general presence were sorely missed...................that's all..........

• 4 months later...

Advance planning!

Is there a L&B show in Cardiff planned this year chaps?

Not seen any mention of it anywhere, so any information would be very welcome.

Hello Mikey

Nice to see you on here - it's been a while sir....

Last I heard, the annual L&B show was not on...

But I did hear rumours that there may be a very small version of the show

Apparently, ownership of the Pumping station has changed hands,

and the new guys weren't so accomodationg, re allowing extra space...

As I said though, someone did say they had heard L&B may now do a small event....

I'll speak to Peter later

They now seem to be putting their efforts into supporting the new show,

which is organised by the Cwmbran modellers

Last year, that took place in the old cinema in Newport

I took "Bracty Bridge" along, for a rare outing....

Shame you couldn't make that one

It might be the way forward for the L&B show,

as it's such a large venue...

mind you, I'm hoping they'll only hold shows during the warmer months in future...... brrrr

Cheers

ATVB

Marc

EDIT: Appologies -
Forget everything I've just said above!

Apparently, they have now convinced the new owners to allow the extra space needed,
and it WILL be going ahead!
Might even be slightly bigger this year.... yippeee :)

Cheers again

Marc (who should have phoed to check before his previous post)

Hi Marc!

Long time no talk, will explain when we next meet!

Great to hear the show should be going ahead, keep us informed.

Annual trip to Cardiff must happen at all costs!

:-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the one in the waterfront museum in swansea is on again this year on the 31st aug-1st september. I have been told,been asked to take my layout down there again. their is one in carmethern the 4th of may in the libary.

mike

Thanks for the info kingfisher / mike

Keep posting any upcoming shows on here,

and we'll help promote the hobby in Wales :)

Cheers / Hwyl

• 1 month later...

got the times for the show in swansea 31st aug-1st sept 11am -4 pm. already working on my layout for the event this year plus some new things I have been planing.

mike

Have to make sure I get up for this show then :-)

• 2 weeks later...