Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

• RMweb Premium

Mid Wales Model Railway Show at Welshpool (Newtown MRS) also on 24th October, though I can't imagine anyone trying to get to that and Carmarthen and Drefach Felindre in a day. Details on the exhibitions thread though not in the Diary because it said I didn't have permission.

Like many, mainly a local show with many families visiting off the street (it is on the main shopping street in the Town Hall).

Jonathan

Many, many thanks to John Gray of Swansea MRC who has very kindly looked through many directories in Swansea Library and found the information I seek.
Dunn & Co., were Colliery Agents circa mid 1920's.
The power of RMweb..  :sungum:

A “SMALL” MODEL RAILWAY SHOW - CARDIFF

. . . . .o o o o o 0 0 0 0 0 o o o o o . . . . .

Sponsored by Lord & Butler, Cardiff Model Rail Centre, Penarth Road, Cardiff.

Saturday 23rd. January, 2016
10:00am – 4:00pm
Scout Association Headquarters, Fields Park Road, Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9HX
Admission (to be set – all proceeds to local charities)

Ample free parking
Public Transport – several Cardiff Bus services stop outside ‘The Halfway’ public house, Cathedral Road which is less than five minutes walk to the venue.

In cooperation with Messrs Lord & Butler, who have graciously offered to sponsor the event , several local modellers have agreed to exhibit their layouts in a one day show where all proceeds will be donated to local charities.

To date, the owners of the following layouts have agreed to attend.

Many will be familiar to RMweb members.

Rosamund Street by “br2975” -4mm urban goods yard in the early 1970s. - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88144-rosamund-street-low-level-sidings/

Chemical Complex (Barry Docks) by “natural” – 4mm scale current model of a chemical and intermodal installation – http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88132-chemical-complex-barry-docks-terminal/

Shepcote Lane – 4mm scale Privatisation era Sheffield area steel works featuring working wagon tippler

Cogirep by “Barry Ten” – HO scale French industrial complex.- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56643-cogirep/

Moose Creek by “BrianT”– HO scale Canadian loco servicing facility set during a snowfall.- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85615-moose-creek-a-world-from-abercynon-fach/

Minster by “Minster” assisted by “Danemouth”– 4mm scale modern era terminus set in the Welsh borders:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/24137-minster/

Dragon Steels by “Wayne37901”– 4mm scale South Wales based steel works:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46664&start=50

Haverfordwest – 2mm scale ‘modern image’ with military traffic.

Poynton Sneer by “Marc Snmith”- 7mm scale minimum space shunting layout - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56443-poynton-sneer-sidings/
OR ALTERNATIVELY
Brachty Bridge also by “Marc Smith”– 4mm scale urban Cardiff, in a plastic storage box ! - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/157-roath-minor-aka-bracty-bridge/

Further layouts will be added to the list once confirmation of their attendance has been received.

Lord & Butler will have a trade stand at the event.

Please note:-

(i) the venue is on two levels and depending upon the number of exhibitors, two, possibly three layouts may be exhibited on the upper level.
Access to the upper level is only achieved by a flight of stairs.
(ii) At this time there are no plans for refreshments to be provided.

Further information will be added, when it becomes available; so watch this space..

We look forward to seeing you there.

Looking at the size of some of the layouts, they shouldn't have a problem being carted up to the first floor.. :no:

This may be just the thing to get me out the Village and another Christmas Dinner do,

BUT it's only a couple of days before Burn's Night.... which I'm hosting.

Anyway, well done Lord & Butler. 

Edited by Penlan

Looking at the size of some of the layouts, they shouldn't have a problem being carted up to the first floor.. :no:

Agreed Sandy.

But really intended more for the advance warning of visitors.

Better they are warned in advance, than turn up on the day, part with their charitable donation and then find it difficult (or impossible) to access some of the exhibits.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

br2975,, Arghhh
I must learn to visit as a Visitor, not an exhibitor, now the layout's retired...

... and I'm past lugging things around.
I'm now checking if there's an 6 Nations International on that weekend? :no:

Good, first match 6th Feb.

First at the Principality, 13th Feb

Edited by Penlan

br2975,, Arghhh

I must learn to visit as a Visitor, not an exhibitor, now the layout's retired...

... and I'm past lugging things around.

I'm now checking if there's an 6 Nations International on that weekend? :no:

Good, first match 6th Feb.

First at the Principality, 13th Feb

I have the same problem.

One problem I encountered was that my layout was initially built for home use, not exhibitions, and in order to clear bookcases etc; at a viewing height of almost 5'0" - complete with lighting pelmet etc.

At exhibitions it's a bit too high for some visitors, and those in wheelchairs.

If I lowered it, the pelmet and lighting would obstruct the view of those of average height, or taller.

This has attracted comment from some visitors, even though any inconvenience is unintentional - but is mentioned in the layout fact sheet.

The venue, has an elevated area that overlooks the main hall, and the elevated area is also available and could accomodate up to three layouts (depending upon size etc); access via a flight of stairs.

As for the clash with any sporting events.......................

It was planned with the Six Nations in mind - knowing that the first fixture was several weeks later.

The fact that Cardiff City v Rotherham Utd. is on the same day will not have such an impact (well not for most visitors !)

Brian R

• Like 1

I remember a broad gauge layout at a Bristol Show once,

fairly soon after the White Ladies Road exhibitions, down by the docks area.
I'm 5'10" tall and the rail height was above my eye line. 
Or so I seem to remember, and I know I should remember the exhibitor's name,  but it's eluding me.

Rotherham, Uhmn,

I shan't cry over that one and I expect the Premier Inn at Whitchurch still has a few rooms available that weekend.

I shall be making it a social event if I come, with some friends from the Cardiff Club (MRC, not AFC).

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

I remember a broad gauge layout at a Bristol Show once,

Or so I seem to remember, and I know I should remember the exhibitor's name,  but it's eluding me.

Was it  one of Mike Sharman's creations ?

I recall him at one of the Bristol Shows many years ago.

Brian R

No not Mike's, his were always at around 3' if not lower.

I have 'Pete Waterman' in the back of my mind, but I'm sure it wasn't him.

Pete Waterman was a member of the Broad Gauge Society many years ago, so it's not impossible.

Just been talking to Mike Marritt who is organising the West Wales '0' Gauge Group show in Carmarthen on 24th October and due to the size of the visiting layouts it was decided last night at a committee meeting to not have demo stands as space is tight and a worry about blocking emergency escapes.

So I wont be doing my DCC & Computer Control Demo.

Please, no cheering

• 2 weeks later...

No not Mike's, his were always at around 3' if not lower.

I have 'Pete Waterman' in the back of my mind, but I'm sure it wasn't him.

There was a former colleague of mine in Avonmouth who modelled broad gauge- I wonder if it was his layout? Can't remember his name, but he worked in the labs at Tenneco.

Just got back in from having visited both West Wales shows today!

There were some nice models at each - the card models at the Woollen Mill were very well done - some so well done it was hard to tell they were card, and Teifi Gorge will be good when it's finished. I also came away with two Hornby Merco tankers for £15 each. The layouts at Carmarthen were all very nice!her

Also called in briefly at the Teifi Valley Railway but not much sign of life there despite the website saying they are open at weekends and for the October half term :-( Some signs of life at the Gwili though.

Edit: Messaged the TVR Facebook page and they confirmed that they *were* open, there was somebody in the cafe and the train was up the line at the time we arrived.

Edited by RJS1977

Some photos from Carmarthen:

Inglewood Sidings. Despite having planned several shunting puzzles, and almost having one of my own running, this was the first one I'd actually played with, and my first experience of using DCC. The shunting was good, the Kaydees annoying, and the DCC too complicated!

post-7091-0-05545600-1445707677.jpg

post-7091-0-77716600-1445707693.jpg

Highmead Bay. West Wales O Gauge Group's layout

post-7091-0-05328500-1445707709.jpg

post-7091-0-38129500-1445707723.jpg

Penfold Priory, by Bridgened Model Railway Club

post-7091-0-94162000-1445707738.jpg

post-7091-0-25776700-1445707751.jpg

I might have to investigate whether WWOGG can put up with having me as a member!

Yes, Teifi Gorge was very good (and will be better still when finished), though (apart from a couple of poor track joints) I thought the tram layout was quite a good example of how to make a decent layout with readily-available items (apart from the overhead). Though personally, had it been my layout, I would have installed some electronics on the back straight so that when one tram went behind the backscene a different one appeared at the other end.

I took quite a few photos of both shows - I'll upload them later.

I went to the exhibition at the Woollen Museum, but the only decent layout was The Teifi Gorge Railway. I didn't take any photos, but there's a thread about it here.

Unfortunately you are required to sign in... So I was unable to view any photo's.

Hello BG John,

What was the problem with the DCC and Kadee couplings on the shunting layout.

I must admit I was a tad surprised to see a DCC set up on the layout. With one loco and a few trucks it is over kill. I did not stop more than a few seconds at the layout as there was always some one talking to the operator so cannot comment more. Did the loco have lights, sound may be that needed DCC ?