BRM now available online as an e-mag

Dicky W

I can't see the combined relevance of these points at all, it's just confusing on so many levels.

Well, that's not surprising since the post of mine you quoted had no connection with the one from Oldddudders but was a follow on to the one above from bcnPete (Which I had quoted to make the context clear)

Regards

Keith

I tried the April digital copy of BRM I use a imac desktop and downloaded the New reader and all worked smoothly for me a digital mag has its pros and cons

Was the download worth it the cost was 2.49 : I know I could have downloaded for my iphone at a one off price of 1.99 but my eyesight is not all that great and I have not bought my iPad 3 yet I think it is a bit too dear as for an extra 1.00 I can get a hard copy which I can take to the dunny or read in my bed

What I did like was the way I could zoom the pages of articles and by doing so also let me view all those nice small print adverts without the use of a magnifing glass

If I wanted to print out an article I could also I could take a screen grab if I wished

It would have been nice to have the option of downloading the mag to my hardrive to read ofline; there may be a way to do this pray tell if you know.

another wee niggle is the lack of a way of linking to the adds by being able to click on a web link or even being able copy and paste that would be a true digital magazine

I enjoyed my digital experience with BRM but at the moment I will prefer a hard copy which I can read anywhere without worring if my batteries will hold out

eddie

I purchased a single issue digital copy of BRM to test delivery medium and check out the mag in consideration of a subscription. Chose the Feb back issue because it had had articles of greater interest to me over April's. I do like the mag itself.

Re digital delivery? As an international reader,

I like: the saving -significant for us, the release date access advantage vs ordinarily a three week delay for receipt of airmailed hard copy, the zoomability aspect, digital as a solution to the perennial hard copy storage problem.

I didn't like: sans freebie inclusions, the restriction of logged in online access only. e.g. yesterday I wanted to read my copy and for whatever reason, the reader decided to go into an access loading loop and wouldn't load content no matter what I tried. In the end I gave up. Annoying. And, what if in three or four years from now, let alone a decade on, I want to refer to a back issue article? I think the digital delivery concept is good, but until I can download my paid for copy to my local drive for unrestricted personal access distributable to whichever device I choose to view it at the time, digital will remain a good idea in theory failing to meet my requirements in actual execution. And I say that as someone who has wireless access in every room of the house 24/7 via SmartTVs, laptops and PCs.

The new reader. Apart from the loading problem referred to, once loaded the new reader has worked well thus far without an observable glitch of any sort on Chrome running under 64 bit Win 7.

• RMweb Gold

When I went into Synaptic and typed in Silverlight there were a number of packages to choose from to install.

There were two plugins one for Chromium and one for Firefox.

If I get chance I will try and take a screen shot for you.

Peppermint OS does use Lubuntu as it's base, it could be that it uses a different repository, I'm not too sure though.

Cheers

Ian

@traction: Thanks for the info. Could you please tell me the name of the package you installed? Synaptic only finds a package called "nant" when searching for "sliverlight". Is it this one?

Hi

I decided to give this a go as if it worked I would save heaps of cash as we pay $12.00AU for this mag.

I went with the March mag as it was my FREE copy but also got the April one aswell. Once I paid and found both mag in my account I clicked on one and took me to the reader page, I clicked on the new reader and I need to download silverlight which I did and after a few mins I was able to read this great mag.

As I have an Ipod I installed the app and downloaded it, which did take about 6 mins but once done I had no problems reading. I also tried it on my Android tablet but which no luck, the poor old thing just conldn't handle it..

All in all a good way to have access to your mags and saving money at the same time.. (More money to buy trains with)

Stuart-Au

Can someone confirm the following quote from the BRM website;

"Not only do you get your copy of BRM the moment it's released, once downloaded you can read it whenever you like without the need for an internet connection."

Reading some of the posts here suggests that you cannot save your copy and can only access it online.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

"Not only do you get your copy of BRM the moment it's released, once downloaded you can read it whenever you like without the need for an internet connection."

Reading some of the posts here suggests that you cannot save your copy and can only access it online.

In my several readings, using both old and new readers, I have failed to find any way of downloading - but you can print any pages that you wish.

In my several readings, using both old and new readers, I have failed to find any way of downloading - but you can print any pages that you wish.

In which case, as Biggles articulately points out (and unless I'm missing something), you're not really buying it, just paying to access it. It's hardly the same:

...I think the digital delivery concept is good, but until I can download my paid for copy to my local drive for unrestricted personal access distributable to whichever device I choose to view it at the time, digital will remain a good idea in theory failing to meet my requirements in actual execution.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Yes, I can see that statement at: https://www.model-ra...igital_editions

But the PocketMags FAQ page at http://www.pocketmags.com/information/

says:

Online reader: Digital issues are viewed in-browser using the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. This plugin is freely available for most web browsers on both PC and Mac. An active internet connection is required while reading an issue. The online reader includes many new features, including on page videos, image galleries, hyperlinks and page jumps. Pages can be printed using the print menu on the reader (printing can take up to 1 minute, in this time your browser may become unresponsive).

My red.

Some conflicting info?

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

In that case, I am glad I only punted on the 6 month subscription to begin with.

Perhaps BRM can work with PocketMags to try and improve the situation...as in principle, its a good idea.

• RMweb Gold

I mainly use Zinio for magazines.

Just tested Zinio on my tablet in airplane mode and I can read the magazines I have downloaded previously (as opposed to the reading online option) without an internet connection.

Maybe BRM could use Zinio for purchasing online?

Ian

• RMweb Gold
Maybe BRM could use Zinio for purchasing online?

I have BRM (and Hornby Magazine) on my iPad and it is downloaded in just the same way as other magazines I buy through Zinio and can be read offline.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I use Zinio as well for Rail Express and it works offline.

My concern is more about long term compatability and support for different OS (I don't think Zinio has a reader for Linux).

Ideally the magazine (and book) publishing industry could learn from some of the mistakes that the music industry made ie that customers don't like DRM...(which is not the same as saying I want everything for free!)

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Mike

You are dead right.

I didnt buy DRM protected music as I wanted to play it on more than one device, so I used to buy the CD's , rip to mp3 then put on my devices / central server. Now that music is DRM free I purchase downloads from Amazon. I have never pirated MP3 files.

The same would apply to magazines for me. Currently I download the ones that I would normally throw away after reading and buy the paper ones of those I want to keep (such as Back Track etc).

Ian

The OP has gone quiet on the subject, a simple post would clear up the confusion :scratchhead:

The OP is actually busy today and I can confirm his whereabouts since your last post 2 hours ago.

I will ensure that I'll discuss the relevant perspectives about different readers in due course with the appropriate parties and come back to you at a future point.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm....

Tried to read my 3 downloaded mags this morning on the iPad and everytime I touch the 'read' button, the screen goes black and I get nothing....everything else is functioning okay with the iPad so bit perplexed...anyone else had this or I am just being a bit thick today?

Hmmm....

EDIT: Still the same 4 hours on and even stranger, when I opened the app on my iPhone, it asked me which issue I wanted to download for free....as if I had not already undertaken a subscription.

Not as impressed now but I don't blame BRM, I am guessing its the people who I had to set up the account with. Time for a mail to them me thinks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with accessing the digital version of BRM when off-line. We're currently in discussion with Pocketmags to find a solution.

Until a solution is found, we recommend that if you want to keep your digital issues of BRM on your device you should use iTunes and download the magazine via the App Store. Links to this can be found on our website: www.model-railways-live.co.uk

I'll keep you updated on our discussions with Pocketmag.

Thanks,

Steve

Brand Editor

• RMweb Gold

Try uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it. Just guess as I had to do that with another magazine reader before it would download the magazines.

Thanks Ian - tried that twice but now I have only 1 issue wheras before I had 3 issues :(

I'll keep you updated

Thanks Steve...

• RMweb Gold

Steve

Sorry that my suggestion are it worse.

Do you have the latest iOS on your ipad with the Newstand app?

In the Newstand, you can install BRM app then download rh magazines. Woks on my iPad with the latest iOS updates.

Ian

Archived