BRM now available online as an e-mag

Dicky W

Is Zinio just a reader & would something like Google reader work just as well, outside of Apple that is ?

If I subscribe can I have multiple versions of the same edition in different devices ? In other words If I download an edition to my PC can i also have the same edition on my Android device ?

• RMweb Gold

Zinio is a reader with DRM, so although you can view it on different systems with one purchase you are still tied to Zinio.

I think Ian's (roundhouse) point was that how long will Zinio last and/or will Zinio support all systems and what happens to your purchased content then? Does it become unuseable?

Cheers, Mike

Is Zinio just a reader & would something like Google reader work just as well, outside of Apple that is ?

If I subscribe can I have multiple versions of the same edition in different devices ? In other words If I download an edition to my PC can i also have the same edition on my Android device ?

Yes, once you've opened a Pocketmags account and downloaded the magazine, it can be viewed on any platform.

• RMweb Gold

Zinio is a reader with DRM, so although you can view it on different systems with one purchase you are still tied to Zinio.

I think Ian's (roundhouse) point was that how long will Zinio last and/or will Zinio support all systems and what happens to your purchased content then? Does it become unuseable?

Cheers, Mike

Mike

Spot on.

I know Zinio is available on IOS (ipad etc) Android, Mac and Windows t the moment so it is pretty versatile.

Dicky W's point about getting the hard copy is fine but if you have already subscribed to the electronic version then how many will want to pay again for the hard copy?

As I have mentioned before its not an issue for me as I generally throw most magazines away into the recycling after a few months.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only one here who is copying his old magazines with a digital camera and looking at them using Cdisplay?

I now have the last 40 years almost completed for a couple of the mags and am working through others now. The originals are still in the garage but I needed some more space in my 'den' and so this has worked very well. Using the online indexes, thanks, I can find what I want very quickly.

The advent of electronic copies on a CD of RM means I now have 8 years of those on 10cm of shelf and I have about another 20cm of DVDs containing my archive. I'm not giving them or selling them to anyone else and I have saved about 6 metres of shelving.

Am I going to continue with this?

Yes, because as many of you are saying you don't really own the thing and are relying on others not to cease production.

A good 14mp camera cost me £60 from the ebay Canon outlet and it has taken me quite a few hours to reach this stage but now I am on top of it all, I copy every new mag pretty sharpish and then can take my copy about or email it to myself to look at elsewhere.

So there are workarounds and ways and means.

Has anyone else done this?

Is there a flaw in this?

Cheers

Ian

I have now subscribed to BRM but have not figured how to download issues for local reading. I cannot find an issue download option and reader software download on Pocketmags site. If anyone knows how to download, it would save a lot of time waste loading pages. Reading online with loading pages all the time is slow even on my broadband connection. Their trial Microsoft Silverlight based reader version is a little better than the old Pocketmags reader for speed and flexibilty. I am using Google Chrome as my base browser so wonder if Silverlight works better with an Internet Explorer browser? I could try it in Firefox too.

Also did not realize until after completing subscription that it starts with the next month (April) so now have to buy March separately as I did with February to read Graham's Fisherton Sarum article.

you can connect your Kobo/Kindle/device to get whatever meejar you want.

Morning.....Waiting 10 years does not appeal to me, had a look @ your Amazon model railway bookstall this morning.

Very good Andy....But, then checked their Kindle ebook availabliity :no: 0. of interest......

Am I the only one here who is copying his old magazines with a digital camera and looking at them using Cdisplay?

I now have the last 40 years almost completed for a couple of the mags and am working through others now. The originals are still in the garage but I needed some more space in my 'den' and so this has worked very well. Using the online indexes, thanks, I can find what I want very quickly.

The advent of electronic copies on a CD of RM means I now have 8 years of those on 10cm of shelf and I have about another 20cm of DVDs containing my archive. I'm not giving them or selling them to anyone else and I have saved about 6 metres of shelving.

Am I going to continue with this?

Yes, because as many of you are saying you don't really own the thing and are relying on others not to cease production.

A good 14mp camera cost me £60 from the ebay Canon outlet and it has taken me quite a few hours to reach this stage but now I am on top of it all, I copy every new mag pretty sharpish and then can take my copy about or email it to myself to look at elsewhere.

So there are workarounds and ways and means.

Has anyone else done this?

Is there a flaw in this?

Cheers

Ian

Morning.....An excellent effort. :O ...when can we reference on line ?....

Is there a flaw in this?.

How long is it since you last modelled.....? :angel:

"I have now subscribed to BRM but have not figured how to download issues for local reading."

AFAIK you can't unless you download an app version of the mag to an iOS or Android device. According to the Pocketmags FAQ to which Dicky posted a link a couple of days ago, the Windows/OSX version only works for online reading in a browser with the Silverlight plug-in installed (which, if all the entrail-reading with regard to Silverlight's future is to be believed, may point to a somewhat limited life).

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just subscribed to the digital version, doing my bit to save the planet and also reduce the piles of magazines in the house!

It would be nice have an option to switch off the gimmicky page turns, it is a novelty at first but soon becomes very frustrating, a certain other model rail magazine seems to use the same method but no gimmicky page turns.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I have just downloaded the App and had a look at the free issue. I find the page turning feature quite nauseous. It would be much better without it and will make me think twice about taking a subscription.

Tim

UGH!!!! the Silverlight based web reader is really bad but the old browser is worse. I am not enamoured of the Zinio reader version but it is far better than the "@!" reader PocketMags provides for those who do not own an IPAD or Android IPAD clone.

Okay specifics.

I just finished paging through the April BRM issue on Firefox latest version browser on a 64 bit Windows 7system with over 4 GB ram and tons of empty drive space. It is highly annoying every 10-20 pages for the next 10-20 pages to download. The downloads appear to take between 90 and 300 seconds. The material appears to be locally cached for the session. But once you log off and then return you have the same download delay every 10-20 pages.

I have a 100 kb DSL connection working full strength that downloads PDF's about the size of this magazine in about 120 seconds. (Monthly MRH download and Zinio Hornby Magazine download.) so it is not the network.

I will admit I am becoming biased towards Model Railroad Hobbyist's business model of publishing. They fund the magazine entirely on advertising revenue. They give away the monthly PDF to subscribers. If you pass it on to someone else that is just more eyeballs for the ads. The ads all have embedded links to the advertisers.

Okay specifics.

I just finished paging through the April BRM issue on Firefox latest version browser on a 64 bit Windows 7system with over 4 GB ram and tons of empty drive space. It is highly annoying every 10-20 pages for the next 10-20 pages to download. The downloads appear to take between 90 and 300 seconds. The material appears to be locally cached for the session. But once you log off and then return you have the same download delay every 10-20 pages.

I have a 100 kb DSL connection working full strength that downloads PDF's about the size of this magazine in about 120 seconds. (Monthly MRH download and Zinio Hornby Magazine download.) so it is not the network.

I will admit I am becoming biased towards Model Railroad Hobbyist's business model of publishing. They fund the magazine entirely on advertising revenue. They give away the monthly PDF to subscribers. If you pass it on to someone else that is just more eyeballs for the ads. The ads all have embedded links to the advertisers.

This is an excellent way of doing things.I have bought a few things from these embedded ads & I found it very handy & quick.

My feeling on electronic versions of magazines is "You want to sell me an electronic version of a magazine which is cheaper that the printed version, fine.Just let me download it & do with it what I wan't just like a paper copy"

I dislike any form of electronic control like what Apple practice. If that's the way they want to do it, then forget it. Not for me Thank you.

... It is highly annoying every 10-20 pages for the next 10-20 pages to download. The downloads appear to take between 90 and 300 seconds. The material appears to be locally cached for the session. But once you log off and then return you have the same download delay every 10-20 pages.

Given the almost ridiculous ease of flicking through a paper mag (even amongst other 'shoppers' ;) ), I'd say that's a pretty major disincentive.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get as far as the 10-20 pages issue - if it was even going to arise. The fact that this is through a re-seller is a bad beginning, although it is the way of the world. Then I am required to have an "account" - why? When will certain members of the online retailing world realise that since they never send, by mail or electronically, anything until after I've paid, that an account is not necessary? If I walk into a shop, with cash or plastic in hand, they don't ask me to open an account, do they? Just give me the download and it's up to me what I do with it - copyright etc issues apart, of course. I have no problem respecting those.

So, grinding my teeth about having to do that, I go through and open this silly "account" and download the April edition, which is about 30% cheaper than the March edition I paid cash for (without an account - hint, hint) when I was in the UK. Tried the "old" reader, but couldn't get the screen-size I wanted. Tried the "new" reader - ditto. No sign of a zoom to suit my needs - I have a 24" monitor. So that's that. I didn't get past the ad pages.

• RMweb Gold

I just downloaded the app and thought I would give the 6 month subscription a whirl.

I am viewing it on an iPad and its very nice to view it like that...but I have to agree that the page turning gimmick is now wearing off.

As a couple of suggestions, is it possible to:

- lose the gimmicks and just keep it clean and simple

- separate the ads from the modelling so there is need to scroll page after page of box shifters to see the models? Normally when I buy the paper copies of railway mags I rip the centre portion out and bin the ads...

Agreed on the account stuff above - I did it just to try it out and I will re-evaluate when the 6 months expires.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get as far as the 10-20 pages issue - if it was even going to arise. Tried the "old" reader, but couldn't get the screen-size I wanted. Tried the "new" reader - ditto. No sign of a zoom to suit my needs - I have a 24" monitor. So that's that. I didn't get past the ad pages.

Had another go today, using the "new" reader, with rather more success. Disappointed that I had to log in again - cookies not used, presumably - but after that things got much better. I discovered that clicking within the printed part of the page then enabled the mousewheel to act as a zoom. I did not encounter any difficulty in turning pages one by one immediately on demand, so the 10-20 page issue afflicting others wasn't true for me. I did find, however, that the magazine seemd to abruptly end after 116 or 117 pages. The offer of moving forward was there, but the still-numbered pages were all blank. As the printed March edition had more like 150 pages, this seemed odd. I also felt I had missed the ad-heavy rear quarter of the mag, which is where you might think the revenue lies, but maybe not.

- separate the ads from the modelling so there is need to scroll page after page of box shifters to see the models? Normally when I buy the paper copies of railway mags I rip the centre portion out and bin the ads...

Well the advertisers wouldn't like that would they, the rest of the magazine is just there to get eyeballs on the ads. Fine if they use the MRH business model and give the mag away, not so good if you have to pay. So I will continue to read MRH and give BRM a miss.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is possible.

I'm running Peppermint OS and have tried this with Chromium and Firefox web browsers.

I went into Synaptic package manager and installed the Silverlight plugins for the browsers.

When selecting which reader to use I did have to select "OLD READER" as the new one tries to download the mag but nothing is shown on the screen.

The old reader works fine though in both browsers.

Cheers

Ian

Is it possible to read the e-magazine on other operating systems than Windows and OSX? I've got Ubuntu (A Linux OS) on my computer.

Moritz.

I did find, however, that the magazine seemd to abruptly end after 116 or 117 pages.

Ian, was the last visible page 116 which was the diary dates (if the page # tallies with the print copy)?

Well the advertisers wouldn't like that would they, the rest of the magazine is just there to get eyeballs on the ads. Fine if they use the MRH business model and give the mag away, not so good if you have to pay. So I will continue to read MRH and give BRM a miss.

I can't see the combined relevance of these points at all, it's just confusing on so many levels.

• RMweb Gold

Ian, was the last visible page 116 which was the diary dates (if the page # tallies with the print copy)?

Looking through again, things have got worse - so I'm sure it's the new reader, which I think they advise is in beta test at this stage. I found nothing after page 15 - then "sporadic" filled pages - and when I came back through the same pages were now blank. The reader lets me go as far as page 141, then no further, so I'm sure it's the filling of the pages that is just not happening. I'll give a try in the old reader shortly and report back.

• RMweb Gold

The old reader reached Page 140 no problem. It does take time to download - but if you read sensibly from Page 2 you wouldn't really notice - took a couple of mins to load the lot. No adjustment on the zoom - close up or normal, nothing in between, and no doubt that's why the new reader is felt necessary.

Archived