BRM now available online as an e-mag

Dicky W

• RMweb Gold

Steve

It's Pete actually :P

Thanks Ian...Yes I have iPad 2 and the latest IOS software. I downloaded the app and was able to download the freedie and next two issues.

But now, it downloads one issue and then crashes out during the second...it looks like BRM are looking into it though as Steve notes above.

Thanks, Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I have tried this with pocketmags on a Windows 7 laptop and couldn't download so I have printed them using the microsoft xps printer option and saved them on my hard drive as xps files that I can look at anywhere. It is not brilliant as you get the whole screen saved and only one page at a time, or two if in landscape, but I would like them to get it to work as a download please.

Thanks

Ian

When it does work, you have wait 10-15 seconds for the next set of pages to load to silverlight every 6 pages. Sounds like BRM picked a technological clunker for an online software reader service. Glad the subscription was fairly cheap.

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with solving the proble, - lets hope BRM can solve the issue soon.

Just to tidy this up, I emailed Pocketmags and after a dialogue with one of their staff by email, he informed that they were awaiting a new app update to be cleared from Apple, which should clear the download problems.

In the meantime, he reloaded my account with all the copies and I have downloaded them again successfully.

So not all bad news... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I read all this thread and together with my own trails and tribulations (Have an older MAC and it basically will not work), I cannot but wonder why BRM cannot simply make it a downloadable pdf format. Sure there might be a few "pirate" copies out there, but I suspect that the vast majority of us would pay our dues. I would also suggest that "pirating" could be "discouraged" by applying the old practise of putting a few deliberate mistakes into each download so that the copier could be identified. Lets face it no one in our small field is going to go through an entire mag to find "their" downloaded mistake. Note, i must give Pocketmags technical people an atta person. Very impressed I was when I was trying to resolve my issues

Hi all,

The next digital edition of BRM (June 2012) will be available from pocketmags or itunes on the 10th of May with a few enhancements:

- Linked contents page (selecting the page number in the BRM contents page will jump to that page)

- List of contents (the pop-up list of all of the issue's main sections available in the reader)

- Web links are all working (click any MRL or RMweb link in the issue, such as extra features or videos, and your browser will open them)

cheers

Chris

PS: The video of the RMweb members day last weekend should be ready in a couple of weeks - I'll post a link when it's done. Missing those pasties...

By Reginald Mafekin Goatley-Prodding.......

"BRM? BRM?! I can't understand what all the bloomin' fuss is all about! Just because Graham Hill became Champion driver in one of their little go-karts it went to their heads.....Never did get on with G.H., that little diego-type moustache and all, looked like a smarmy matinee idol, wore brown suede shoes with a blazer, what....anyway, back to BRM, I ask you who is intetested in a racing-car company that went out of business in the seventies????"

RM G-Prodding Instructor I.A.M. (Rtd) M.C.S.C.C.

P.s. I see some of you chappies are having problems with your 'Pads', I'll ask Bronwen to give you a call. She's had to use them.ever since a nasty moment at the end of the 1953 London to Brighton when I nearly put the De Dion into the front of the Quaglio's Novelty Rock Emporium, shocking to-do eh, what? How was I to know the cameras were there for some film business, er, Guinavere er, Genitals er got it 'Genevieve'. Daft place, Brighton, to make a film about Dutch gin, what?

RGMP

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Have you got rid of the annoying page turning yet? It looks great at first but very quickly becomes annoying, Hornby Magazine use Pocketmags but doesn't have the annoying page turning.

Regards,

Peter

• 1 month later...

I recently saw that the Magazine was available as an App and download so I thought I'd give it a whirl . I need an extra fix of UK Railway Modelling. The App works fine, the issues download with no problems and all works fine and dandy through Apples "newstand" There's lots to like about the presentation of the printed page through the App, like being able to scroll through extra pictures in the side boxes in the Ashburton article. Big thumbs up on that feature. But I'd really love a way to be able to turn off the page turning.

Ian

I don't have a page turning problem with the Windows reader. I do have to re-size to get the pages to turn if that's what you are talking about. I have had no auto turning of pages.

By Reginald Mafekin Goatley-Prodding.......

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Zinio is a reader with DRM, so although you can view it on different systems with one purchase you are still tied to Zinio...."

Well, I was with the Durban Rifle Militia for ten years and never knew anyone called Zinio, are you sure he wasn't with the TITs? [Thessaloniliki Infantry Troop] This tied-up thing is a little disturbing, too.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Yes, once you've opened a Pocketmags account and downloaded the magazine, it can be viewed on any platform. Is there a flaw in this? "

Certainly! The First Class Waiting Rooms are on platforms 1 and 3 only.....and you are not allowed to carry loaded weapons on the train!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

" t finished paging through the April BRM issue on Firefox latest version browser on a 64 bit Windows 7system with over 4 GB ram and tons of empty drive space...........

We too, have plenty of empty drive space. Since we bulldozed the Angora Moleskin Trouser works and planted coffee we have acres of space....

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Is it possible to read the e-magazine on other operating systems than Windows and OSX? I've got Ubuntu (A Linux OS) on my computer. Moritz. "

Dear Moritz, I too had awful problems in Kenya until I discovered Milk of Magnesia, do try it...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm running Peppermint OS and have tried this with Chromium and Firefox web browsers. I went into Synaptic package manager and installed the Silverlight plugins for the browsers. Ian

Aha! Someone else who carries an adrenaline injector, I've diguised mine as a natty button-hole holder, and the lights? At last, something I understand.....We did this after the tungsten bulbs blew in our imitation cartwheel chandelier, great improvement, and the budgie doesn't burn his feet when on occasions he makes a bid for freedom...

RM G-Prodding Instructor I.A.M. (Rtd) M.C.S.C.C.

[Am I possibly the only person on this forum who does not understand a single word of the foregoing thread??????]

Doug [scribe to RM G-P]

Some Moons ago, well January 31st I had a wing about not getting broadband here in deepest Norfolk, In fact a BT engineer who was repairing the line said I had no chance of getting it.

Well a miracle has occured! BT dug a trench fron the nearest town 5 miles away and put a pipe in it, to the nearest box a mile and a half away,and I guess later put a cable in it. Then Last week I got a phone call from a lady who was not trying to tell me I could claim back PPI, but told me I could get broadband!!!!!! So I signed up to BT and ......Yes It has Occurred we have broadband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I may sign up for the New BRM Magazine but only if they have stopped repeating themselves on the same page several times! I couldn't check to see if there was an improvement last month as the two shops I normally view BRM in didn't get it last month(or they both sold out before I got there which would be unusual)

Right now off to peruse the rest of RMWEB at up to 6Megs(so my speed checker tells me)

TheQ

still can't use a mobile phone round here though!

Some Moons ago, well January 31st I had a wing about not getting broadband here in deepest Norfolk, In fact a BT engineer who was repairing the line said I had no chance of getting it.

Well a miracle has occured! BT dug a trench fron the nearest town 5 miles away and put a pipe in it, to the nearest box a mile and a half away,and I guess later put a cable in it. Then Last week I got a phone call from a lady who was not trying to tell me I could claim back PPI, but told me I could get broadband!!!!!! So I signed up to BT and ......Yes It has Occurred we have broadband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I may sign up for the New BRM Magazine but only if they have stopped repeating themselves on the same page several times! I couldn't check to see if there was an improvement last month as the two shops I normally view BRM in didn't get it last month(or they both sold out before I got there which would be unusual)

Right now off to peruse the rest of RMWEB at up to 6Megs(so my speed checker tells me)

TheQ

still can't use a mobile phone round here though!

Check the mouse in the wheel is still alive - if he doesn't keep running you won't get any of that elektrikery stuff!

• Administrators

Steve - yes, you can buy individual issues (going back to May 2011) and they cost just £2.49 each. Subscriptions are £10.99 for 6 months or £19.99 for 12 months.

The Q/Autocoach - I'll ask Chris (our digital editor) to reply to you once he's in the office.

Thanks all,

Steve

PS - For anyone who has not seen BRM as a digital magazine, we'll be at the RMweb Members Day on Saturday and would be more than happy to demo the digital magazine. See you there.

Here a question Hopefully I'm Not repeating(if so I missed the reply) but as a ball park figure just how big is a full down load of BRM?

The Q

hi Q,

It varies a little from issue to issue (sometimes the issue is larger owing to a supplement) and we're now plugging in extra photos as interactive galleries which can add a little to each download, but in general we try not to exceed 120mb - which is a standard download size for this kind of magazine. Also, we have some new software in the works which will enable each issue to be smaller *before* we start adding more bells and whistlles - such as the odd video here and there (watch this space..!) but even then we'll stick to the 120mb maximum.

cheers

Chris

I was looking for the software and library and have not found it as I unpinned the link and now cannot find it in program files.

#

Hi Autocoach,

I'm guessing you need the link to Pocketmags (our online digital edition store) which lists all of the available issues of BRM as well as an offline reader, an online reader, and links to purchase (as well as get the free sample issue).

Here's the link: http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?titleid=856&title=British+Railway+Modelling

cheers

Chris

hi Q,

It varies a little from issue to issue (sometimes the issue is larger owing to a supplement) and we're now plugging in extra photos as interactive galleries which can add a little to each download, but in general we try not to exceed 120mb - which is a standard download size for this kind of magazine. Also, we have some new software in the works which will enable each issue to be smaller *before* we start adding more bells and whistlles - such as the odd video here and there (watch this space..!) but even then we'll stick to the 120mb maximum.

cheers

Chris

T

Thanks for the info, my hard drive will last another year then....

Just a thought! Somewhere in the thread some one mentions that they are expecting a high take up of eBRM. If it happens, that will reduce the number of paper ones... this would of course put up the costs of producing them, and I could see a downward spiral occuring.

I also wonder whether, if there are reduced copies in the shops will there be a reduced takeup by new readers? since, I like I suspect most others, bought their first copy after browsing in a papershop.

The Q

#

Hi Autocoach,

I'm guessing you need the link to Pocketmags (our online digital edition store) which lists all of the available issues of BRM as well as an offline reader, an online reader, and links to purchase (as well as get the free sample issue).

Here's the link: http://www.pocketmag...ilway Modelling

cheers

Chris

Chris

I was looking for the files location where the Pocket Mags reader had installed itself along with magazine download files so I could check their size. I did finally find it installed in an unusual location rather then the standard Program files folders.

Ken Adams

(By trade I am a web based systems administrator so I like to find things in standard places.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I got the latest version of the BRM App last night and still no option to turn off the annoying gimicky page turn. When will it be switched off or at least give us the option to do it? It really does spoil reading the digital version of the magazine. As previously stated Hornby Magazine doesn't have it and they use the same distributor.

Also the quality of the pages on the new Retina iPad is very poor with very poor rendered fonts compared once again with the Hornby Magazine version which is nice and crisp.

Peter

Archived