Low relief buildings for backscene - progress so far:

norseman

I am currently making low relief buildings that I plan to include in a future layout. My latest efforts are these structures, a small industrial building + a shop alongside it. Worked on the shop today, and will probably finish it with the chimney + downpipes tomorrow. Need to slate the roof of the industrial building, but have received much appreciated help from my 10 year old daughter who loves the fiddly work of cutting slates!

Here are a few pics:

401537_266154930116701_100001665894114_676556_1519263877_n.jpg

jan_20_2.jpg

jan_20_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It must be good to have help with the fiddly bits! I like your chosen way of modelling low relief - to include part of the roof sloping to the back. To me this gives a sense of the rest of the house you can't at the back see actually being there. I also like the way the path in front of building gives it a sense of location already. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Steve.

• 3 months later...

These are all scratch built, and pure fictional buildings. When it comes to building very low relief buildings only a cm or so deep, there is no reason why that can't be done. Only thing I would suggest is that you use industrial buildings with a flat roof, or so called London Terraces, as these don't have a sloping roof. Otherwise the roof would be very steep and probably unrealistic. In my opinion.

Archived