little known class 73 livery 1967

• RMweb Gold

In 'Power of the Electro Diesels' it states that E6018 was painted in 1967 as an experiment to test and evaluate it's visibility to "track staff and oncoming train crews".

This is is backed up in 'The Electro Diesels - An illustrated History of classes 73 and 74' which also adds that it was part of wider BRB research into visibility (see posts 3, 4 and 5). The loco was returned to a more conventional livery in 1969.

Cheers

Griff

Edit

Of course both books are from the Colin Marsden stable ... so he would back up his own research wouldn't he :fool:

• RMweb Gold

ive often wondered why they didnt paint yellow around the windows of engines with noses, class 37 40 etc.

Can you imagine how filthy they would look after a short time running, I know that they have the same frontal area as any other flat nosed locomotive but the fact remains they were notoriously difficult to keep clean (around the windows - they frequently got missed between washing machines and yard brushes and if a WR machine it all got missed ^_^ ). Furthermore IIRC one of the reasons they choose Rail Blue was that it hides the dirt well.

A useful find Michael. I have been well aware of this loco (from 'Power of the Electro Diesels') originally and a few photos have appeared. Very few of them appear to be in colour and have always left me wondering whether when the loco was repainted from its original rail blue with small yellow ends and white window frames, how was the roof dealt with. This photo shows once and for all that the existing rail grey roof was retained. Also the numbers had to be repositioned behind the cabs.

Regarding the wrap round yellow cabs, this was flirted with on a few units at the time by the Southern. According to my records (supplied by John Atkinson) the following SR units were so equipped:

Oxted unit 1319 received blue with full yellow ends wrapped round to include cabside windows on 27-2-67. White unit numbers were provided on the yellow end.

4-CIG 7303 had green with full yellow ends wrapped back as far as the cab vestibule door on 8-3-67.

A very minor degree of wrapping round where the full yellow end was carried round onto the bodyside as far as the leading cabside door (rather than just painting the front) was also applied to 4-LAV 2950 (green), 2-BIL 2009/11/21/26/38/50/53/56/60/74/83/89/93/96/116/121/130/141/146/147/150 (all in green) and 4-COR 3109/12/25/27/40 (all in blue). Dates of repainting of these units can be supplied if required

• 2 weeks later...

And with the running numbers at the 'wrong' end to whit. You will also note Mr Carroll's use of the 'MC' terminology :sungum:

That must have been the first Pennine in Blue/Grey as there is a freshly painted MBSL lurking in the background.

Al Taylor

• 3 years later...

I recently picked up a Hornby pressed steel class 121 body in blue with wrap around ends. Did any of actually receive this colour scheme or was it only the Gloucester class 122 that received it. I was gonna repaint it but the windows are so well glued in that I'll probably snap the body trying to get it out!

I recently picked up a Hornby pressed steel class 121 body in blue with wrap around ends. Did any of actually receive this colour scheme or was it only the Gloucester class 122 that received it. I was gonna repaint it but the windows are so well glued in that I'll probably snap the body trying to get it out!

No, I don't think so.  Hornby were challenged on the livery and pointed in support to a photo of a Gloucester one that they had used as evidence!  Basically, they got it wrong.

• 2 years later...

Archived