3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Roger, Thanks for that information and for explaining how the relieving bogies work. There is a photo of 1561S as deliver on pg 340 of 'Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume 2' which may be the one you are thinking of, with both its large tool boxes? 

The book I was thinking of is H C Webster's "British Railway Rolling Stock", published in the immediate post-war years (and pre-nationalisation, hence the singular "Railway" in the title). It is however the same photo as that which Peter reproduced in Vol 2 as you note, and is in fact a Ransomes & Rapier works photo, a copy of which I have in my own photo collection. To my shame/surprise/dismay I had forgotten both the latter!

The preserved examples of the first batch of 45-tonners can be found at Swanage (SR 1561S, operational), GCR (GWR 17, operational), Carnforth (GWR 18, OOU, unrestored, apparently for sale), Flour Mill (GWR 19, essentially operational but I believe undergoing overhaul), Of the six that were built, two have been scrapped, specifically GWR 16 broken up at Swindon in 1986, and SR 1560S broken up at Halesowen (ex-Tyseley) in April 2010.

The next batch built by R&R were for the MoS and included the two supplied to the LNER as replacements for two conscripted Cowans Sheldon cranes. Both of these two are preserved, LNER 951516 at the Bluebell and is presently undegoing cosmetic renovation, and LNER 941601 is preserved at the NYMR, currently out of use. One of the MoS military cranes, WD214, is preserved OOU at Toddington on the G&WR. These cranes (including the LNER pair) differed from the first batch of six principally in having the valve chests outside the crab sides and the valves operated by rocking levers (the earlier ones had the valve chests inside the crab sides). The two LNER cranes had RBs identical to the first batch, but the preserved MoS crane has the later type with hydraulic loading gear. There were other evolutionary detail differences (eg with boilers etc) during the construction of these cranes.

The final crane built to this basic design, and in fact the last crane built by R&R for a British railway, was the SR's 1580S of 1944. This had outside steam chests, hydraulic loading RBs, and in additional (and uniquely) Bulleid Firth Brown cast steel wheels. This crane is preserved and operational on the Mid-Hants Railway.

So at present seven of the nine of these built for British railways have survived into preservation.

Roger Cooke

The Breakdown Crane Association

www.bdca.org.uk

Hello Everyone,

Just realised that earlier this week marked 2 years since the start of this thread and I plan to do a summary post of what I have learnt when time permits.

In the meantime I appreciate that recently I haven't been developing much in the way of new designs, hopefully the below image will help demonstrate why I haven't had the time and money to do some of the other wagons I have mentioned.

post-13109-0-47892000-1390769519_thumb.jpg

If you look carefully you will see that the number of parts doesn't tie up, this isn't me having a mathematical breakdown, the others are just elsewhere.

post-13109-0-73732100-1390769520_thumb.jpg

I managed to have a good check yesterday of the latest design and prints of the crane and as can be seen below the jib is alot smoother than that of the prototype print, I think they have got the orientation spot on as even the conduit on the side has worked.

post-13109-0-81536400-1390769521_thumb.jpg

Finally the crab has printed beyond expectations, just look at all those teeth, the sides of the cab are also as smooth as anywhere this time instead of being stepped. Hats of to I.materialise for this one! (And also to shapeways who I have also been checking parts from too, better print quality than last time and all undamaged).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

It's been quite a while since I last visited this thread, but having just returned, I can see some very attractive 45 ton cranes.  Am I going to be able to get my hands on one of these?  Is it something you will make publicly available on one of the 3D printing web services?

Great work!

Andy

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your posts and great work by the way Armley Road (and RS4 on his workbench too), Painting and weathering looks good, out of interest what colours did you opt for?

Andy, Thanks for your interest in my cranes, they are currently pre orderable but only via my own website (I wont post a link to it to keep the Mods happy, but changing the fell in my user name to models would be a good starting place in a search engine).

I may have some news on the printing front in the near(ish) future with two other possible suppliers using machines at different ends of the spectrum, both may affect the way I do my containers. However I think I have seen enough boxes over the last few days to last a life time.

My exciting holiday container snaps (And that was just one of the small yards, not the main container port!) 

post-13109-0-87854100-1391543392_thumb.jpg

Don't worry though as this was followed by a visit to the superb Minature Wunderland, which I would highly recommend a visit too.

Stunning work, for instance the below is all in HO (please note no photo trickery, only cropping)

post-13109-0-00410900-1391543702_thumb.jpg

Hopefully back to some printing soon!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your posts and great work by the way Armley Road (and RS4 on his workbench too), Painting and weathering looks good, out of interest what colours did you opt for?

Andy, Thanks for your interest in my cranes, they are currently pre orderable but only via my own website (I wont post a link to it to keep the Mods happy, but changing the fell in my user name to models would be a good starting place in a search engine).

I may have some news on the printing front in the near(ish) future with two other possible suppliers using machines at different ends of the spectrum, both may affect the way I do my containers. However I think I have seen enough boxes over the last few days to last a life time.

My exciting holiday container snaps (And that was just one of the small yards, not the main container port!) 

attachicon.gifDSC03243.jpg

Don't worry though as this was followed by a visit to the superb Minature Wunderland, which I would highly recommend a visit too.

Stunning work, for instance the below is all in HO (please note no photo trickery, only cropping)

attachicon.gifDSC03368a2.jpg

Hopefully back to some printing soon!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hmmmmm, containers..........

Minature wunderland looks good too! Just so I can work out what I'm doing and when, when are you likely to get to look at the retro boxes again?

Keep up the good work :)

Over Christmas, I have completed my model of a Parrot wagon. I found that the joints between the end sections and the middle were not that strong and so I reinforced them with brass channel glued on the inside of the framework where it was lease noticeable. Paul Bartlett's photos show that the buffer beams and buffers were much more heavily constructed than the outline drawing that he posts would suggest, and so I made new buffer beams and fitted heavy duty buffers with 16" heads. I also added the brake hand wheels, although I had to use 6 spoke wheels rather than the 4 spoke units actually fitted. 

The packing case is assumed to be the right size for a Brewster Buffalo, based on the dimensions of the aircraft. However I doubt if many of these were actually landed in the Britain as they were found to be unable to match the Focke Wolf 190s and the Messerschmitts, so they mostly went direct to the colonies and Russia.

Colombo

Photo attached

post-740-0-29842100-1391632057.jpg

• Like 3

Hello, 

Thanks Armley Road, Satan's Goldfish and Colombo for your post.

Armley Road, thanks for posting a photo of your containers, the use of different blues/weathering to represent the different ages of box looks effective to me. Are they sat on Dapol FEA's or a pair of Hornby KFA's? I also wish I could afford a rake like RS4's (or Even half a rake would fit nicely) too, but somehow don't think I will be getting a full set for a long time or at all. Still had the fun of designing them though.

Satan's Goldfish, I briefly touched on my previous post about alternative suppliers for my containers, I will hopefully be receiving photos of a test print of one of my containers soon (along with some other info about them) which may mean that I need to design my containers slightly differently to suit a different machine, once this area has been researched then I shall get cracking with the containers again. That means that they may be a 'while' but hopefully before the middle of the year (I will update here with any progress though).

Colombo, thanks also for your post and photo, that does look superbly done. That is the first parrot (of mine) I have seen that isn't in my own fleet, I think the replacement buffers you have added definitely look better. Could I ask what the tie down eyes are make from, and do you have a thread about your layout?  

Cheers everyone,

Wild Boar Fell

Photo attached

Hurray - back to the proper wagons after all those containerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  :lazy:

Very nice looking build - shows what a fine job WBF has done with the Parrot design. :locomotive:

The buffers fitted to the ex-LNER wagons when we were using them as cable layers were these:

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshire%20models%20and%20supplies%20website_057.htm

Colombo, thanks also for your post and photo, that does look superbly done. That is the first parrot (of mine) I have seen that isn't in my own fleet, I think the replacement buffers you have added definitely look better. Could I ask what the tie down eyes are make from, and do you have a thread about your layout?  

WBF,

The tie down eyes were made from Roxey Mouldings Side Chain Eyes and Hooks, product code 4A135 which are on their web site. I did not use the hooks, just the eyes. The loops were made from florists soft iron wire which was wound round a drill and snipped off, then threaded through the eyes which I had to drill out to size. Can one buy florists soft iron wire these days? ( Google it: oh yes - Eileen's Emporium sell something similar).

Southern Man,

Thanks for the lead to the correct buffers. Bless you, now I should really change them...argh!

My layout has appeared in the LNER forum, but not as a formal thread.

Colombo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update today, 

I believe I have now found someone else to print my containers which appear to give better detail as well as a smoother finish than my current container prints whilst being slightly cheaper too, I have test photos of one of my binliners printed but I won't post them on here as they aren't my photos. I have now ordered some prints of these so will post photos of those when I get them.

The last few days has seen me start another 'diversionary' project but hopefully this can be completed in not too long a time, its something a bit different to previous projects, so lets see who can guess what it is from the chassis (not completely finished).

post-13109-0-00654600-1393351265_thumb.jpg

Answers on the back of a postcard...

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

Bio mass hopper?

Will be good to see how the next batch of containers come out with the smoother finish, poised and ready to order!

A very good guess indeed!

It really is a big beast, as the body itself will use the same amount of plastic as one of my containers. It is currently split into 3 major sections: roof, body and chassis and is being designed to accept the correct Bachmann TF25 bogies. A few other parts like buffer heads and mounting pins will be separately printed items.

A similar perspective showing the other major components.

post-13109-0-76676200-1393369656_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 8