3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Would be nice if one of these was done

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15038/12196898123/

Yes it would, and it hasn't gone un-noticed. 

However Bachmann seem to be modelling their flats in ISO container condition, and not in their original form with the BR locking system which these used.

I am therefore considering modifying my kit as to a Pre ISO version if their is interest (and develop a range of suitable boxes). A Caboose would be a nice (and iconic) addition.

I shall see,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hmm I wonder why I have these...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/sets/72157645391045660/

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 4

Finally here are those photos I promised.

First up is the 1st test print (bottom) which due to the drawings I was working from being scaled wrongly were about 4mm too short. This has been corrected and locking points have been added and test printed this morning (top). I have further updated this design and created the FGA, but printer trouble today has thwarted all attempts to print it.

attachicon.gif102_1502.JPG

As can be seen some wisps still need cleaning off it, and a little cleaning up but I am happy with how it has worked.

attachicon.gif102_1507.JPG

On the Biomass front, I must thank Lee (HSTFAN13) for suggesting this project as it is proving great fun, I now have 9 bodyshells produced (2 prototypes and 7 production ones). But the printer failure has prevented me from printing the last one for my rake. Once I have some Dapol couplings I will get the chassis locked down and then I can actually run them. An initial quote for transfer is turning me towards doing them in the as delivered scheme of plain grey with data panels.

attachicon.gif102_1498.JPG

attachicon.gif102_1500.JPG

Please note that they haven't warped, that is distortion in my camera (I have checked).

Edit: Forgot to add that since the first print the surface quality of the sides has improved drastically, meaning the sides only need about 5 minutes work each an only a little filler and filing. The roof doors do need filler however due to the stepping.

Still plenty more fish in the sea where projects are concerned.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Both FFA/FGA and Drax biomass wagons look amazing :)

HSTFAN13

Lee

Interesting item but, sorry for being thick, I have not seen these in use before (spotting this one at NRM though) so my question is, what were they used for?

Best wishes

Simon

They are Freightliner Cabooses, they were intended to replace Guards vans on the trains but it proved not to work as their use was short lived.

They never received ISO fittings due to their early withdrawal!

Some of the "Outer" wagons retained the steps for use with these till they were scrapped.

Mark Saunders

Hi Matthew

We went to the NRM on Wednesday, these maybe somewhat late.... But maybe of some help to someone out there ?

Since I'd last been (about a year) the FGA had been moved, which was handy..

post-1261-0-17553700-1406355906.jpg

post-1261-0-55170600-1406355916.jpg

post-1261-0-52256800-1406355927.jpg

post-1261-0-35783800-1406355938.jpg

post-1261-0-24894100-1406355953.jpg

post-1261-0-97084600-1406355964.jpg

post-1261-0-43462200-1406355976.jpg

Regards

Nick

• Like 4

Out the back - the line where they usually have a steam engine running brake van rides or similar.

These were out there before but on a different siding - maybe nearer the freight liner sidings.

Hi Matthew

Returning to your binliners, I see that Railtec are doing the KFA transfers for the GMC sets now.

Too late for mine I feel, but an interesting development none the less.

Regards

Nick

Neil, your wish is my command for a Photo Friday special!

This is the first test fitting of the packaging (without instructions), all the parts in the top 2/3 are parts for the kit whilst the bottom 1/3 is a 'stockbox protector', the box still needs a bit of work to get everything to fit properly, but is 95% of the way there. The crane at the bottom of the image is my production prototype which still needs to have its painting finished (hence my reluctance to photo it before now), it has however been test run and checked for fit etc.

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

post-13109-0-49482400-1406908675_thumb.jpg

Edited to attach photo (twit)

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 7

This is the last of this batch of wbf's 80s containers that I had. It fought me a lot this one, and now I can find no good angle to picture it from, it looks a lot better than this picture shows, for some reason no detail shows on the white and some of the red ribs look filled in on every picture I take.

post-9147-0-92985100-1407172723_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Richard,

The OO gauge Perch is currently on hold until I can find a viable way of doing it, the prototype was far too costly to make available. The other problem with the YEA is its length meaning the model had a tendency to sag over its length (only slightly).

It a shame as its one I would quite like for myself.

However there should be a few interesting thinks coming up on the Modern Wagon front in the near future that will hopefully make up for this.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Today has seen a bit of test running, now that the biomass's chassis has been figured out and a coupling arrangement (self centring) found.

Below are some photos of the successful run on the test track, I need to sort out those drooping couplers though.

Please note this wagon hasn't had its extra parts fitted yet (such as electrical cabinet, air tanks, buffers and door rams), and is in as printed (I.e unsmoothed) condition.

post-13109-0-59597200-1408140560_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-74856700-1408140573_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 7

Neil, your wish is my command for a Photo Friday special!

This is the first test fitting of the packaging (without instructions), all the parts in the top 2/3 are parts for the kit whilst the bottom 1/3 is a 'stockbox protector', the box still needs a bit of work to get everything to fit properly, but is 95% of the way there. The crane at the bottom of the image is my production prototype which still needs to have its painting finished (hence my reluctance to photo it before now), it has however been test run and checked for fit etc.

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

attachicon.gif20140801_164003s.jpg

Edited to attach photo (twit)

Nice stuff.... how did you cut the foam/sponge?? I might have to do that for my future models but heard foam is tricky to cut :(

Hello Richard,

The other problem with the YEA is its length meaning the model had a tendency to sag over its length (only slightly).

Wild Boar Fell

Stupid thought, but would having holes to insert bracing pieces (such as brass rods etc.) to stop it sagging?