3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

I have tried using brass rod in models to stop sag before but brass is too bendy/bouncy/elastic, not sure the right phrase but you know what I mean, and will sag with the model unless you have space for a pretty large piece.

Best wishes

Simon

Angle would stop it flexing; bar or rod wouldn't.

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick notice for the people who have expressed an interest in my cranes (especially those who expressed it around December/January), I have send out an email today about shipping them as the first ones (batch 1) should ship this Friday, please could you check your spam folder as the message may have gone there instead. For people who have not received an email, don't worry, batch 2 should follow within the next 2 months.

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Something new on my desk today;

GWR 6000 King

Okay not 3D printed;

post-13109-0-47378000-1410197157_thumb.jpg

This is though,

post-13109-0-17876700-1410197173_thumb.jpg

And this is laser cut!

post-13109-0-90814700-1410197148_thumb.jpg

Still another 14 bits left, but these are flying across from Holland at the moment.

I don't think I need to give any more clues.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edit: The print is alot better than it looks in the photo.

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Something new on my desk today;

GWR 6000 King

Okay not 3D printed;

attachicon.gif20140908_182017.jpg

This is though,

attachicon.gif20140908_181711.jpg

And this is laser cut!

attachicon.gif20140908_180956.jpg

Still another 14 bits left, but these are flying across from Holland at the moment.

I don't think I need to give any more clues.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edit: The print is alot better than it looks in the photo.

I'm not 100% sure where this is going, is it either log carriers or am I going to need to create me some vtg ferry wagon transfers?

'Tis a KFA end - the give-away are the bars across the holes to (supposedly) prevent logs coming through the holes. Utilising the Heljan Cargowaggon flat. Now that the MDF laser cut ends aren't available - it needed someone to take up the project.

How are you doing the stanchions? 3D?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

'Tis a KFA end - the give-away are the bars across the holes to (supposedly) prevent logs coming through the holes. Utilising the Heljan Cargowaggon flat. Now that the MDF laser cut ends aren't available - it needed someone to take up the project.

How are you doing the stanchions? 3D?

Cheers,

Mick

Spot on,

The kit is based on the previous Andy7 kit (The design of which I now own, mine isn't a copy), but has been tweaked for the materials at my disposal. The stanchions will be 3D printed by Shapeways and the whole thing should be available soon at £8 a wagon (Flat not included). 

More details to follow,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Spot on,

The kit is based on the previous Andy7 kit (The design of which I now own, mine isn't a copy), but has been tweaked for the materials at my disposal. The stanchions will be 3D printed by Shapeways and the whole thing should be available soon at £8 a wagon (Flat not included). 

More details to follow,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Sounds like a plan! Pity I don't need anymore..................

Cheers,

Mick

Okay as promised, something new (sort of)

A modified design of my PDUK Chassied PXA bogie box that I abandoned about a year back. Now its back but with integral sides and a more solid chassis (and cheaper).

I am hoping to have a rake of these (with some scratch built JNA's and the printed sheerness PXA/JXA's) running for the debut of our new club layout 'Arley Dale' at the Warrington Show (Shameless Plug) in October. For the show these will be running on off the shelf Bachmann Y25 bogies instead of my printed GP25's which they should have. I also still need to have a crack at buffers for these.

Body 

post-13109-0-25541300-1410469398_thumb.jpg

Chassis

post-13109-0-85633400-1410469408_thumb.jpg

Both

post-13109-0-13188000-1410469418_thumb.jpg

For comparison

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55938574@N03/10024752566

Also by swapping the chassis I will be able to build some more JNA's (GERS 4400) too.

Whether I will be able to produce the PDUK PXA Steel hoods remains to be seen.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pdufcoilpxa/h22811c5c#h22811c5c

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 8

Hello Neil,

I am hoping to get my crane painted this coming week as it is the first time in ages I have had completely free. My model won't have the lining on it that I want it to have (I shall get someone else to do this for me). I shall put photos up as soon as it has a decent coat on it.

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

P.s. Anyone know someone who does lining?

http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.php/Ransomes-and-Rapier/ADRR95215-Album/scan0001

(95215's match wagon had lost its tool boxes by this point but my model will retain them for now).

• RMweb Premium

I would say that with a small (about 3" total height) compass bow-pen you should be able to replicate that lining quite easily.. A bit of practise first mind.

Larry of this parish does, but I don't think he does it commercially any more, I'm sure you'll find someone. (I'm only just starting to play with my bow pens, which is surprising enjoyable!)

Andy G

edited for compass size

Edited by uax6

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried a bow pen a few years back and the results weren't great (more practise is required I think), but I was thinking more of having them done with lining transfers instead of paint.

In other news, a new thermocouple has been installed, printer back in business!

As I won't be making RMWeb Live, did anyone have to hear what Hatton's plans for 3D printing are?

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

A modified design of my PDUK Chassied PXA bogie box that I abandoned about a year back. Now its back but with integral sides and a more solid chassis (and cheaper).

I am hoping to have a rake of these (with some scratch built JNA's and the printed sheerness PXA/JXA's) running for the debut of our new club layout 'Arley Dale' at the Warrington Show (Shameless Plug) in October. For the show these will be running on off the shelf Bachmann Y25 bogies instead of my printed GP25's which they should have. I also still need to have a crack at buffers for these.

Body 

attachicon.gif20140910_224143.jpg

Chassis

attachicon.gif20140911_212801.jpg

Both

attachicon.gif20140911_213220.jpg

For comparison

Also by swapping the chassis I will be able to build some more JNA's (GERS 4400) too.

Wild Boar Fell

Hi wild boar

When do you think these will be available for sale?

Nik

• Like 1

Body 

attachicon.gif20140910_224143.jpg

Chassis

attachicon.gif20140911_212801.jpg

Both

attachicon.gif20140911_213220.jpg

For comparison

Wild Boar Fell

Morning buddy, well i'm impressed! Well chuffed you've now done the PXA Chassis as wanting a rake of these :) also the "POWELL DUFFRYN" we are really wanting that massive beefy beast and would be amazing if you did decide to do the chassis and ends in 3D then we could always make some kind of hood for it to fill the middle in.

Many thanks for the update anyway and also i'm keeping my fingers crossed on a smaller vac braked hopper wagon that you said you may look at doing aswell ;)

Hello Wild Boar Fell

Great news on the printed ends and stanchions to convert IGA Cargowaggon flat in to a KFA log carrier

Staying with the Heljan IGA Cargowaggon flat I wondered if you had considered printing the rollers and stanchions as in the conversion to a continuous welded rail carriers as in Martyn Read's excellent photograph

mogs 37116

post-22664-0-11058900-1410866791_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Evening everyone,

Whilst the paint dries on the crane (Reckon I should of painted the forth bridge, its quicker), time to answer some questions

Hi wild boar

When do you think these will be available for sale?

Nik

Nik,

I need to get the buffers and bogies sorted yet and have Shapeways make them and then sort out some instruction. This may mean its a few months yet, but as a rough guide I believe bogies (without axles), Chassis, body and buffers are do able for £20-25 a wagon although they will need some plasticard for the floor. I shall keep this blog posted with updates as things progress.

Morning buddy, well i'm impressed! Well chuffed you've now done the PXA Chassis as wanting a rake of these :) also the "POWELL DUFFRYN" we are really wanting that massive beefy beast and would be amazing if you did decide to do the chassis and ends in 3D then we could always make some kind of hood for it to fill the middle in.

Many thanks for the update anyway and also i'm keeping my fingers crossed on a smaller vac braked hopper wagon that you said you may look at doing aswell ;)

Cheers Richard, thought you would like them. Having seen how the KFA ends work, I am sure the ends of the PDUK Hoods could be done to fit the chassis and maybe some formers for the hood too (Not sure the hood would work well printed). This would take a similar timescale to the above.

Think we may be waiting a while on that other one though, unfortunately.

Hello Wild Boar Fell

Great news on the printed ends and stanchions to convert IGA Cargowaggon flat in to a KFA log carrier

Staying with the Heljan IGA Cargowaggon flat I wondered if you had considered printing the rollers and stanchions as in the conversion to a continuous welded rail carriers as in Martyn Read's excellent photograph

mogs 37116

Hello Mogs,

Thanks also, that looks an excellent suggestion. I shall have a look and see what I can do when I have some spare time.

The next print to show should be a little industrial box, but interesting in its own way.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All looking good!

Out of interest, would you ever be interested in printing coach components, something like a Class 313?

Even just (say) the individual sides of a unit and cab end might be good, just something like an aid to scratchbuilding?  

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Okay photo time,

its finally painted!

Please excuse the back scene it is a 80's- Present day wagon works photo plank 'The Boar Foundry' which is very early in its construction and I will document its construction later on.

As for the crane, built awaiting varnish & transfers before the full rigging is applied.

post-13109-0-91700900-1410983344_thumb.jpg

I was going for one of those factory portrait kind of shots, but its in colour. 

post-13109-0-07770100-1410983320_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-84304800-1410983332_thumb.jpg

I think I should leave the photography to Mr York and Mr Nevard!

Enjoy,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 11

Goes to varnish some binliners, 1 to check the finish. Fine.

Returns to spray the remaining 9, 4 cans later still has 9 to spray.

Doh!

At least I have the artwork for the panels done.

I will print some off tomorrow and check they look all right (+ photo them). Not sure if I can post the artwork on here as it uses company logos which I do not have copyright for, don't worry however the panels are for personal use only and are not for sale. I will however post some photos of them on the finished containers.

Wild Boar Fell