3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Does the alternative design make them any cheaper to produce or is it just an alternative method?

David

Hello David,

Yes they are cheaper to produce, but not quite as crisp.

It does mean that they are produced in the UK however so I don't have to pay for international postage either.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Evening Folks

I have now managed to get the Sheerness Steel PXA's painted up and mounted on their bogies, they still need couplings added and eventually a load.

post-13109-0-26648300-1411327056_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-33273300-1411327065_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the state of the Layout Diorama, it still has a long way to go and that sky is too dark (Even for Tup North).

I have now finalised the details for my next large project (To follow up the crane), which providing it isn't announced by someone before then will be announced on Saturday 18th October. This one will include 3D Printing (Utilising 3 materials for development), Laser cutting and Resin Casting and possibly even etching.

I may drop hints before then though.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 9

I have now managed to get the paintwork finished on the PFA (Only about a year after it was printed). 

Oddly I managed to get some decent lighting for a change, even if it was only one wagons length.

post-13109-0-67282800-1411588173_thumb.jpg

Also on the workbench is a model I meant to post a photo of the other day, it is an APCM Internal user box to fit a Bachmann salt van/china clay hood chassis. The print is a bit rough at the minute but was just to check the dimensions. 

post-13109-0-39679300-1411588413_thumb.jpg

This is how it should look

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/4311754541/in/photostream/

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

Hello Lee,

The Biomass's are progressing but some more development work is required to get the end detail to print better, also the axles have been on order for over a month and are still a no show.

(Anyone know where you can get large stocks of Romford axles?)

Also to answer James's post before, I think it is unlikely that I will do any complete multiple units for a good while (in hope that costs will fall soon and my design skill will improve), also any units would have to have a suitable RTR chassis available. If I could draw one, a 325 parcels unit would be a good one to fit those Bachmann 150 chassis's that are going cheap.

However I have plenty of projects lined up before then.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Looking good. When can we expect clues to the next major project? ;) I'll throw in an early guess of either some bogie vtg ferrywagons, or the 2 axle Cargowaggon which came in either single or pairs.

Can I request some more 20ft containers please bud? Plus some retro 40s aswell? I'll smile really nicely!

Cheers, need to do a few more variants before full production.

I am definitely not doing these two unusual containers though!

http://www.mremag.com/sites/10/images/article_images_month/2014-09/scotsman.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Hello Lee,

The Biomass's are progressing but some more development work is required to get the end detail to print better, also the axles have been on order for over a month and are still a no show.

(Anyone know where you can get large stocks of Romford axles?)

Also to answer James's post before, I think it is unlikely that I will do any complete multiple units for a good while (in hope that costs will fall soon and my design skill will improve), also any units would have to have a suitable RTR chassis available. If I could draw one, a 325 parcels unit would be a good one to fit those Bachmann 150 chassis's that are going cheap.

However I have plenty of projects lined up before then.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Awesome cheers mate :)

Any pics?

HSTFAN13

Lee

The Gypsums have also recieved a coat of paint now but I won't be able to finish them for now. The blue look right for the Tectainer style boxes but I think it is too light/bright for the original style boxes, any ideas paint wise (I have used Revell 50 Lichtblau, which will need finishing with a matt varnish)?

post-13109-0-00207600-1411852358_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

Cheers, need to do a few more variants before full production.

I am definitely not doing these two unusual containers though!

http://www.mremag.com/sites/10/images/article_images_month/2014-09/scotsman.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

They look a little suspect to me too......

The smooth side 8ft tall boxes in the background get my vote though, let me know if you need better pictures ;)

Hi Wild Boar

Revisiting my Gypsums, that have shamefully not been finished yet......

I opted for Humbrol matt 109, not the best light for photos this morning.

In my view it's close to a slightly faded container. Clearly many of them are very dark so I figured after weathering the blue would be right, and equally it's right on a lightly weathered version:

post-1261-0-53500400-1412007042_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-63904500-1412007067_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-62704700-1412007102_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-83081300-1412007140_thumb.jpg

I've stalled on the issue of transfers, but they aren't really a deal breaker, they would just add to the project.

I can certainly add the sheet for the old style container [with or without British Gypsum logo] then get weathering ! FEAs all ready to go.

Regards

Nick

• Like 4

Cheers for the photos there Nick,

Looking good. These may help for the transfers http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/The-Humble-Box/Non-BIC-coded-bulk-containers/Gypsum-Containers-British/

On another note, I have just been completing the Wishlist survey which feature the prototype for my next kit. Finally decided that its not better for me to wish for something I have already spend many hours and £100+ developing so far.

(okay thats not much of a clue but it narrow the field a little).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell