3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Having seen some fantastic 3-d printed models on this forum, I decided to attempt to create something of my own using this new technology, having got some fairly basic knowledge, and after gaining some advice from Ben Racey, I created this Warwell and am creating other version to suit modified examples such as Bolster B's.

This is a boiler carrier so is missing the support jacks from each buffer.
lessons have been learnt designing the bogies and later ones will be thicker and have better bearings, but I am happy with the results and would like to hear your views.

WILD BOAR FELL

post-13109-0-94037200-1327269108_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-19432200-1327269147_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-04997800-1327269178_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 9

If they were available for sale and could be converted back to original condition, I would be interested.

I believe bufferbeams with jacks may be available from Gramodels as they already do a Warflat kit.

Tony

That looks very good, I guess from the couplings that this is 4mm scale, I would be very interested in these if you made them available

Is it possible to reproduce the rivet detail with this process?

http://www.flickr.co...hen/4454693559/ they are quite prominent on these wagons.

Bogies are available from several sources, Ratio do them.

Edited by bubbles2

post-13109-0-22266300-1327354715_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-59634700-1327354717_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-42386100-1327354720_thumb.png

Hello, thanks for your comments, just a few things,

• This wagon isn't 100% accurate, it is based on the plans in LMS wagons 2 but I have found the depth is 1mm to thin, this can be addressed if people mind,
  • Unfortunately the software im using (google sketch up) will not allow small round details so I cannot add rivets.
  • I have created some jacks, but havent printed them myself so cannot vouch for quality, but will create an original variant.

Thanks very much for the photo,

If anyone is still interested or wan't changes to be made I will attempt this so please let me know, then I will make them available on the shapeways marketplace.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Yes, that's right with Sketchup the min. radius is 0.5mm for a circle. Have you got the 'shapes' plugin, that can allow you to do 'domes' more easily than using short cylinders? I don't tend to try and do rivets myself, preferring to use plasticard, or paper, overlays embossed with any relevant rivet detail. That way the smaller detail doesn't get 'lost' when cleaning up the model once received.

Regards

Richard.

Hello,

Just to keep you upto date, I have also been working on one of the variants of Bolster wagons formed from converted warwells, these have has there sole bars depend, and deeper bogie pivots added. they also have scale planking effect on the surface, and will allow scratch built or genesis kits bolsters to be added, some modification should allow ratio bogies to be used (125), though I will probably investigate this as well.

Feedback is welcome on these, and If there is sufficient interest I will attempt to make these wagons available for sale.

Hope you like them,

Wild Boar Fell

post-13109-0-96230400-1327613897_thumb.png

post-13109-0-57831200-1327613901_thumb.png

post-13109-0-59424700-1327614253_thumb.png

• Like 1

That looks very good WBF. The deeper sole bars are certainly an improvement.

A sensible plan to use bogies that are already avilable.

I would certainly be interested in Warwells in original condition.

Edited by bubbles2

http://sketchup.goog...ubyscripts.html

A good book to have a look at, If you haven't got it, this is worth a read:Beginning Google Sketchup for 3D printing by Sandeep Singh, some good stuff in it!

I have been watching the threads on 3D printing for a while and, if this is what can be done with a first attempt, it is pretty impressive - congratulations!

Is Sketchup a good package to use as an introduction for someone who has never used CAD before? And is the book mentioned above pitched at "Janet and John" level - taking things slowly and using short words?

Many thanks

Eric

Edited by burgundy

Hi Eric,

If you've reasonable computer skills, then you should be able to use Google Sketchup, it's pretty straightforward to use - but as with all systems there are quirks. Yes, the book is in 'normal' text, if you can use windows you should be able to get into it.

Regards

Richard.

Hello, thanks for your positive comments, glad people are interested, does anyone happen to know the Ratio 125 diamond frame bogies are mounted, as I haven't managed to get one of these kits yet, what size diameter hole do they use? or do they come with their own mounting plate? any information is useful thanks, work on all 3 designs is progressing, as can be seen.

post-13109-0-46816600-1328046429_thumb.png

post-13109-0-50227200-1328046436_thumb.png

Hi Wild Boar Fell,

Latest screenshots show these are looking really good. There's a couple of notes I hope are constructive:

• Might be better leaving the brake handwheel and coupling hook. From my experience, the are likely not to print to well, and particularly for the hook, you'll want some strength in there if it's to be used - just put a cut out instead so you can thread a 3 link etc coupling through:
  • Some of the panels are showing as 'blue', indicating they are facing inwards, rather than white, as outward - it won't work for printing unless all surfaces face outwards - it will also need to be 1 'shell', you may have some separate shells on the inside of the model, perhaps?

Other than that, looks very good, look forward to seeing the printed version!

Regards

Richard.

Hello,

Thanks both for your useful comments,

firstly the bogies, yes I had seen the cambrian kit, which is a sensible option, the reason I decided ratio is they are more widespread/ more easily available, and they come as a complete kit. However once I know how both bogies are mounted I can draw up to different mounts so it is up to the customer to choose which they fit to the kit. (please note bogies are not supplied with the kit so must be sources separately).

I have now corrected the surfaces of the 3 wagons, and removed the minor faults that I found.

Lastly, thanks for the advise about the couplings and brake wheels, these are just test included on the test prints to see what is possible, if they are too brittle or don't print well I will remove them from the ones I make available.

Thanks again

Wild Boar Fell

Hi

the Warwell is looking great.

Would you be looking in to producing a Warflat as well. As I might be interested in both of these, if they can be done in N gauge, as the one that I brought would look better in yellow skin. As the correct bogie is already available from ATM.

Alistair

Hello Alistair,

Thanks for your interest, a warflat does look like a good project to try, not as complex as a warwell, not sure about scaling mine into n gauge though, as parts may be too small for my cad, however just had a look and these people seem to do some http://pgmodels.wordpress.com/page/10/,

Hope this is useful

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

Parkwood Models do an N gauge Warflat and Warwell - both now available exclusively from the N Gauge Society.

Cheers, Mike

Hello all,

As Mike says, tooling for the former Parkwood Warflat (WW2 version with fishbelly solebars) and Warwell has been acquired by the NGS. For those that cannot wait, I believe we have some kits available, however we are in the process of assessing the models before relaunching them.

The relaunched kits will be supplied with the correct diamond frame or Gloucester GP22.5 bogies (formerly the kits suggested using American-made types) and will also include decals.

We are working on the decal sheets at the moment, and if anyone has any information about the markings of these wagons during wartime that would be helpful.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello,

Am I correct in thinking that some of the WW2 warwells like I am designing still remain in use to day, on Paul Bartlett's website it certainly shows them in use in the early 1990's, if so were there any other major changes made to them than new bogies, buffers and air pipes? If there is enough demand and the body is similar I will also produce a modern variant. Please let me know if you are interested.

Finally does anyone in OO gauge make the correct GP22.5 bogies that Ben mentioned?

Wild Boar Fell