3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello,

Am I correct in thinking that some of the WW2 warwells like I am designing still remain in use to day, on Paul Bartlett's website it certainly shows them in use in the early 1990's, if so were there any other major changes made to them than new bogies, buffers and air pipes? If there is enough demand and the body is similar I will also produce a modern variant. Please let me know if you are interested.

Finally does anyone in OO gauge make the correct GP22.5 bogies that Ben mentioned?

Wild Boar Fell

They are the same just new bogies and air braked.

For bogies try John Talbot of Appleby Model Engineering.

Mark Saunders

Hello

Just a quick update, can you guess what it is yet?

These are the first plans for the USA case trucks used by the LMS, they look fairly similar to the warflats, and some were converted to bolster use, I will produce the original variant of this wagon with the jacks as well.

Wild Boar Fell

Edit: Here a link to this sort of wagon http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ww1warflat/h1b445b23#h1a06a7d1

post-13109-0-82675200-1328381439_thumb.png

post-13109-0-17907200-1328381442_thumb.png

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Here are some views of the two modern Warwell designs, one has no plates over the buffers, the others do (these seem to be a more recent alteration).

Some of my models are available now to preview on the shapeways market place, the strange names are just the design names and will be corrected when available for sale, on the same point, ratio bogies are currently on order before I finalise the design and order the final test prints, so should be available for sale in a couple of weeks. Hope this isn't too long to wait.

Wild Boar Fell

post-13109-0-81834800-1328468214_thumb.png

post-13109-0-06752300-1328468218_thumb.png

post-13109-0-00615400-1328468221_thumb.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just to keep you upto date with what is happening, The ratio bogies have now arrived and I have modified the wagons cad files to suit these bogies, also today I have ordered samples of the:

• LMS 30t rail carrier (Converted warwell),
  • Warwell original condition with jacks,
  • Warwell boiler carrier.

Hopefully these will be with me before the end of the month, so hopefully I will be able to make them available for sale, these will be around the £15 mark if your interested so please let me know what you think,

Finally here are some drawings of my latest project, the ramp wagons for the ends of the rake of warwell or warflats. Next project will be the warflats, Any good ideas for future projects, preferably with scale plans?

post-13109-0-65394200-1329255799_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-20048100-1329255802_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-29822700-1329255806_thumb.png

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello again,

Thanks all for your comments, Interestingly I have the plans for the two flatrols you mentioned, they would certainly make an interesting project. Does anyone know where a photo of these wagons may be or if any exist, as I have tried Paul Bartlett's website but with no success.

Bubbles, thanks for your interest, unfortunately they aren't available for pre order, but after I am happy with the samples, you can order as many as you like. This technology means that they are made to order, though this does mean it may be 2-3 weeks before you receive your wagon.

Kelly, Warflats are next on the list so will be a couple of months off, however if enough people buy the warwells, I may be able to order samples earlier.

Thanks again,

Wild Boar Fell

p.s. Does anyone know the livery details for the warwells in both WW2 guise and BR 1960's, and what colour of paint would be suitable for these especially a humbrol equivalent. Any information would be great. WBF

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Hello again,

Thanks all for your comments, Interestingly I have the plans for the two flatrols you mentioned, they would certainly make an interesting project. Does anyone know where a photo of these wagons may be or if any exist, as I have tried Paul Bartlett's website but with no success.

Bubbles, thanks for your interest, unfortunately they aren't available for pre order, but after I am happy with the samples, you can order as many as you like. This technology means that they are made to order, though this does mean it may be 2-3 weeks before you receive your wagon.

Kelly, Warflats are next on the list so will be a couple of months off, however if enough people buy the warwells, I may be able to order samples earlier.

Thanks again,

Wild Boar Fell

p.s. Does anyone know the livery details for the warwells in both WW2 guise and BR 1960's, and what colour of paint would be suitable for these especially a humbrol equivalent. Any information would be great. WBF

They were on Paul's site, but disappeared with the end of Fotopic. Hopefully, he'll find the slides and re-scan them one day. There is a photo of one in one of the Bradford Barton albums from David Larkin; although he suggests it's a coil wagon, it is one of the ingot-mould carriers that worked from BSC Landore.

Livery in BR days, at least for the fitted or piped wagons, was bauxite/red oxide- they still, in 1973, carried plates saying they were on loan from the War Department to the GWR/LMS. The Flatrols still carried side chains, as well as continental screw couplings.

Hello,

Thanks both of you for your help, that's lucky that its bauxite, its the only suitable colour that I have. just seen an article that mentions black or dark grey for wartime use, especially the ramp wagon. Does anyone know a suitable shade for the olive drab then? Probably best I consult the humbrol chart.

Cheers

Wild Boar Fell

Hello again,

Here are the first CAD's of the warflats as promised, the colours shown are only to show possible livery schemes for these wagons, since these cads were drawn I have added the vacuum cylinder to one end. I will post updates when more changes have been made.

post-13109-0-67204700-1329429588_thumb.png

Warflat later condition, jacks removed.

post-13109-0-72914400-1329429591_thumb.png

Origional condition with jacks,

post-13109-0-88044900-1329429593_thumb.png

Same as above, other end

Hope you like them

(any opinions/ comments welcome)

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello,

Just to let you know what's going on. I have been modifying my designs to allow them to be accepted by shapeways, as the origional drawing keep showing problems, this means I have had to make the detail larger. Unfortunately this means that the price has also increased so will be above the 15 pound mark. Sorry about this, but its necessary for the wagons to be fully printable.

Hope your still interested, also please continue asking for other projects.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Just to let you know what's going on. I have been modifying my designs to allow them to be accepted by shapeways, as the origional drawing keep showing problems, this means I have had to make the detail larger. Unfortunately this means that the price has also increased so will be above the 15 pound mark. Sorry about this, but its necessary for the wagons to be fully printable.

Hope your still interested, also please continue asking for other projects.

Wild Boar Fell

MOD PFAs?

Thanks Brian,

Some very interesting photos, I counted 16 warwells in one of those rakes, plus some interesting loads, such as the PFA's, also thought I saw a GWR conger wagon in there as well.

Here are the latest views of the modern warwell, as per Brian's photos, feel free to compare and suggest changes.

post-13109-0-76434300-1330285460_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-16027500-1330285464_thumb.png

Wild Boar Fell

Hello again,

With my first 3 prototypes now in production with shapeways, here are my first CAD images of my PFA flats as previously mentioned, please be aware these are not the finished designs and I am willing to make any alterations if you deem them necessary, so please give feedback. Colours used are just to show detail, but are roughly accurate to the real wagons (when ex works!). Please also note that the holes in the axle boxes are designed to take Romford bearings to allow Romford 10.5 disk wheels to be fitted.

post-13109-0-21727800-1330465425_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-48871200-1330465430_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-68409700-1330465427_thumb.png

Hope you like.

Wild Boar Fell

P.S. WW2 warwell, Warwell Boiler carrier, and LMS 30t rail carrier should be available for sale in the next few weeks, If all goes well, then modern warwells and ramp wagons should follow probably a month or so later.

Looking good WBF, where can these be bought? got a direct link to the shapeways page for them?

Hello Kelly,

Sorry cannot be bought yet, but as soon as their available I will post a link (If that is allowed?) I need to finish making my store front first as well.

Glad people are interested.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Kelly,

Sorry cannot be bought yet, but as soon as their available I will post a link (If that is allowed?) I need to finish making my store front first as well.

Glad people are interested.

Wild Boar Fell

I'm sure one of the Mods or Andy would clarify that point. But when they are available I'd like the details.

Look forward to seeing the final product.

Here are the latest views of the modern warwell, as per Brian's photos, feel free to compare and suggest changes.

post-13109-0-76434300-1330285460_thumb.pngpost-13109-0-16027500-1330285464_thumb.png

Wild Boar Fell

I like the look of your Warwell WBF, I know you have already said about the problems of adding rivets but I wondered if there is a way of reproducing the ribs on the inclined parts of the deck. I guess these are short strips of flat metal welded to the deck of the real wagons to aid the grip of wheels or tracks of vehicles.

Edited by bubbles2