3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Bubbles,

I see what your on about, yes it may be better for economy's sake if you try adding these out of plastic card later, as well as the data panels, as I don't think I'll be able to fit them without making them far too thick. Sorry about this, but it should work out cheaper in the long run, 10 thou plastic card should do for both. If you want more info on the extra deck panels, try and find the article by Paul Stewart In Model Rail 96 (October 06).

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Good news, the first 3 test samples have arrived! I am glad to say that they in my opinion they look better than the first sample I had done, these now feature deeper frames, and are more solid and not as flexible as the original. They also do not feature the hand brake wheels and coupling hooks as these were unprintable. Hopefully these wagons should be available from this weekend as I am happy to make these available. (please note what you see in the photos is what you will receive).

Apologies for the poor photographs, but my main camera should be back tomorrow and these were taken quickly on top of my laptop.

Firstly WBM-001 Warwell (WW2 condition)

post-13109-0-47877600-1330715653_thumb.jpgpost-13109-0-02102200-1330715674_thumb.jpg

Secondly WBM-002 Warwell (Boiler Carrier)

post-13109-0-54950700-1330715730_thumb.jpg

Finally WBM-003 LMS 30t Rail Carrier (Warwell conversion)

post-13109-0-39474400-1330715830_thumb.jpgpost-13109-0-46276800-1330715849_thumb.jpg

Hope you like,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello again,

Here are the latest photos of these wagons, now with the first layer of topcoat before varnishing, I'm putting the WW2 warwell into green to suit the 1960's era for my layout (think it needs another coat), the others are in BR grey. Please let me know what you think of them.

post-13109-0-34837800-1330804815_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-87010100-1330804849_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-23839200-1330804885_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Looking good, I have been unable to find any pictures of the large hole in the middle of the well, was ths simple planked over in later years? Simple enough to do on the model with Wills planking or plasticard. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p152864854/e28aa50f7#h3adedfd9

Where did you get the Ratio bogies from? Having trouble finding them on the Net.

Whos wheels are you using?

What colour green is correct for army livery in the 60s and 70s?

Sorry about all the questions. Looking forward to seeing some interesting loads on these wagons.

Hello,

No problems about the questions, the holes were there as built, and certainly the boiler carriers retained them, but I am not completely sure when the were filled in on the MOD's wagons, probably as vehicles got larger. I have been unable to find any evidence for what the holes were for or whether there was a sub floor below it.

The ratio bogies I got were from Gaugemaster, though Rail of Sheffield do them as well. I am also using Hornby R8097 3 hole disk wheels, these aren't a perfect fit in the bogies, due to how ratio have designed the to accommodate the supplied wheels, but a bit of work will make them reliable.

The Paint I have been advised is a good match for the army green, upto present day is Pheonix Paints P76 S.R. Maunsell light olive (Dull).

This may help when you get it,

WBM 001 Warwell.pdf

Thanks for your questions

Hello,

If I was to bring out wagon packs of about 5 or 9 wagons, with a lower cost than individual wagons so you could make a rake would people be interested?

I ask as shapeways do discounts for orders over a certain volume, thats why my 3 wagons were printed together.

If you are interested please let me know.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello, It has come to my attention that there has been several orders of my products cancelled. This is a problem on shapeways behalf as they are now rejecting the CAD designs which I had printed, I am working on a solution to the problem, but this may take a while. All customers who have had their orders cancelled should receive a voucher from Shapeways of the same value as your order, I will endeavour to make the corrected product the same price as the original.

Sorry about this but it is out of my hands.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello again,

Just a quick message for all those wondering about the hole in the middle,

In this album on Paul Bartlett's website you can see on some of the less modified wagons the holes, or on one where a metal plate has been added in later years.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warwellbogiebolster/h367d8f04#hfc82e7e

I hope to have news on the problem solving soon.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

I am still working on a solution to the problems, but it is looking a bigger fix than first thought. I may also I future change my sales method to selling the models direct from me where I comission bulk orders from shapeways. This should lower the cost to you for your individual orders, as well as me being able to stop problems like what has just happened from happening again.

Also I am hoping to have a test print of some more wagons in the next few days if all goes to plan. If these are successful, they will initially be sold through shapeways until I can make the changes mentioned above.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

I have currently got the (Hopefully) corrected WW2 Warwell test print in production, with this there is also the PFA container flat, and the Ramp wagon.

I will make more details available when I can.

The Modern warwells are on the back burner at the moment as I need to confirm the bogie situation before I can have these test printed.

Wild Boar Fell

Hi WBF,

My order arrived today, the pair of Warwell are fine and appear the same as the ones in your pictures, I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Could you please advise me what paints and glue are safe to use on this material I usually prime with a Halfords or RS solvent based aerosol onto resin or brass models with plasticard overlays with no adverse affects.

Hello Bubbles,

Glad to hear your orders arrived correctly, I have used Halfords primer on my models (2 coats), and treated the grey wagons to Phoenix precision post 64 grey, though this is for my 60's layout and pre 64 grey is probably more accurate. All enamels should be fine on this material as I have used humbrol and phoenix paints with no problems. The green for later wagons is p76 Maunsell light olive (dull) and will suit certainly 70's onwards and probably 60's if not before. For WW2 I am not totally sure but have heard of Dark grey, Black or bauxite. Having said that I've just found a video of the excellent Rowlands Castle which shows some mid grey warflats.

Hope this is useful.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Here are a couple of photos of my wagons now that they have been painted, I need to get around to putting all the numbers on them now!

post-13109-0-38425700-1331923825_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-62516200-1331923846_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-51500400-1331923867_thumb.jpg

Please say what you think of them.

Really need to get my layout out of winter storage and take some proper photos.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

While some of the next wagons are having the prototypes made, I have been looking at future projects and have found plans for a WW1 Rectank, as can be seen here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rectank/hff833cd#hff833cd, also In that album you can see photos of the 80t warwell trolleys that were mentioned a few months ago. This means that I can now draw these up as I already have some scale plans, but now know the finer details. If people would be interested in either of these wagons for 00 gauge please post on here, If there is demand then I will produce them.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Just a quick update, here are the first CAD files for the 80t warwell wagons as mentioned above, there are still changes to be made such as to the buffers. These wagons will not be suitable to manage tight curves and some compromise maybe necessary for them to navigate 3rd or 2nd radius. Anyway as always feedback and questions welcomed.

post-13109-0-34990600-1332453864_thumb.png

post-13109-0-40914700-1332453866_thumb.png

post-13109-0-25760700-1332453868_thumb.png

A further update on projects will be posted sometime this weekend concerning other current projects and those in development.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Further to yesterdays posts, here are the images of the ramp wagon I have just had printed. You may notice that one of the jacks had broken off, probably in transit but is now re attached with a blob of poly cement. I am very happy with the quality of this print (my first venture into FUD) and am pleased with the level of detail. Also arrived today is my latest print of the WW2 Warwell, with a corrected file (though the wagon is physically identical to the original). I am then going to check with Shapeways that there are no problems with the files before I make them available for sale, hopefully though you may be able to purchase them from next weekend.

post-13109-0-42938400-1332529628_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-85179100-1332529714_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-87733900-1332529748_thumb.jpg

Enjoy.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello,

Just been working on the 80t Warwell, I have made some alterations to the bogies to improve the tightness of curves they can go around. Below are graphics of the bogies at the tightest they can go, What do you think of the compromise on the bogies, worthwhile?

post-13109-0-22743600-1332709427_thumb.png

post-13109-0-30982100-1332709434_thumb.png

post-13109-0-26058600-1332709553_thumb.png

Also does anyone know what height an NEM pocket should be above rail head?

After this its looking like a RECTANK may be next.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 1

That would look like a pretty tight curve- the ones within Landore were pretty tight, and I never saw one with the bogies that far outside the wagon. Should anyone want to model one of these, note that they were unfitted, but had UIC screw couplings and side safety-chains. All the ones I remember were (faded) bauxite; they carried plates saying they were on loan from the War Department.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for that information Brian, what sort of time would that of been?

Good news, I have had the WW2 Condition Warwell cleared for sale and there are no problems showing with the files at shapeways end so these are once again available for sale at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/wildboarmodels

Thanks everyone, Ramp wagons shouldn't be too far off either.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for that information Brian, what sort of time would that of been?

Good news, I have had the WW2 Condition Warwell cleared for sale and there are no problems showing with the files at shapeways end so these are once again available for sale at http://www.shapeways.../wildboarmodels

Thanks everyone, Ramp wagons shouldn't be too far off either.

Wild Boar Fell

Early 1970s- I worked at Landore in the summer of 1974, and again at Easter the following year. There's a photo of one of 'our' wagons in 'Pre-Nationalisation Wagons of British Railways' by David Larkin, published by Bradford Barton in the mid-1970s. He mis-identifies it as a coil carrier, because of the large wooden baulks on the deck- these were used to locate the ingot mould before chaining down. These wagons worked some pretty long journeys; sometimes as far as Ravenscraig.

Finally made time to fully read your thread, and I must say I'm very impressed! I especially like the ramp wagons and the 80 ton warwells, as these have never before (to my knowledge) been available in OO. I will certainly order some of these. Keep up the good work!

Sierd Jan