3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Everyone,

Finally some good news, Both the WW2 condition Warwell and the Ramp Wagon have now been cleared by shapeways for production, so these are now available to purchase directly from shapeways using the link below.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/wildboarmodels

post-13109-0-90527500-1332864592_thumb.jpgpost-13109-0-05078700-1332864649_thumb.jpg

Enjoy

Wild Boar Fell

P.s. Thanks Paul, Jan and Neil for your comments and for the link (Time for a translator I think).

A small group of wagons, but with some interesting variations:-

ISO container carrier

Nuclear flask carrier

'Polyfilla' wagon

I've seen photos of them carrying bundled semi-finished timber (at Melton Mowbray, ISTR), but can't remember seeing any views of them with any sort of military vehicle, let alone a tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Yesterday I got some more work done on a few models to get them ready for a test print. Here are some pictures.

post-13109-0-36727600-1334132367_thumb.png

This is underneath the 80t warwell, all parts are joined by a small sprue so the bogies and mounting pins are all supplied with the body, these can then be removed from the sprue and assembled.

post-13109-0-50983800-1334132398_thumb.png

This is the early condition warflat, now ready for printing, just waiting for the completion of the rectank (and some money).

Wild Boar Fell

Hello again,

I have managed to get some more work done on the Rectank (WW1) done today, with it looking complete. So here are some pictures of them, if you have any suggestions I would appreciate them as I only know a little about these wagons. Also if anyone has some information regarding liveries that they carried such as 1914-1918 and then BR days, then that would also be appreciated.

post-13109-0-74593000-1334260572_thumb.png

post-13109-0-07890000-1334260580_thumb.png

I am not overly happy with the look of the jacks at the ends so any suggestion?

post-13109-0-08986200-1334260586_thumb.png

I am looking into the feasibility of doing some of the 60's built rectanks as well, I don't know what bogies they used but they appear to be similar to the Cambrian kits "ride control" bogies. But would people be interested?

Thanks

Wild Boar Fell

Hello eddyate,

That would look brilliant as a diorama! I was tempted to do it earlier, so made provision for it by making the axles and buffers separate, however I don't know how the two sides of the suspension were connected, currently/ what I was planning was for two fine bars between both sides these can be seen next to the arrows on the photo. Do people find this an acceptable compromise?

post-13109-0-16413300-1334694059_thumb.jpg

Shall look into creating this then.

Would love your views,

Wild Boar Fell

The document that first got me on the road for details on the ramp wagon

http://movcon.org.uk/History/Documents/DID/D-MCHS%200140.htm

Scoll to near the bottom there is a simple diagram showing the axle seperated from the wagon, only side view though but it may help. IT looks like a simple slide held in place with retaining bolts.

On another matter, your green for painting the wagons, up to the point when some fool invented "radar reflective paint", as if that worked, the military used to use a very nice "shiny" green, always shiny can't bull a dull paint. I aways knew it as Mid Bronze Green. The Land Rover dealer may be able to get this, Coded as RTC 4042 T GREEN. That's the expensive way, if you only have a need for one or two vehicles, the other alternative is a day out at one of these vintage military vehicle rallies, theres normally one or two traders selling all the different colours over the years. They normally sell it by the quart, it will need thinning, should out live you, its very stable, but the bronze does collect at the bottom.

I am looking into the feasibility of doing some of the 60's built rectanks as well, I don't know what bogies they used but they appear to be similar to the Cambrian kits "ride control" bogies. But would people be interested?

Thanks

Wild Boar Fell

Very much so - they are an interesting wagon that lasted until the 90's in certain places - the bogies are the Ride Control version

Are these photos of the ramp wagon at Beverley any use? I took them in 1994 and show the disconnected wheelset.

Ignore the grey object behind the wheelset in the second photo. That is part of the Schienenwolf.

Tony

post-11270-0-09428100-1334761369.jpg

post-11270-0-29971700-1334761387.jpg

post-11270-0-56082800-1334761405.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

Thanks you to both of you, thanks Southernman I though they looked fairly similar to the Cambrian kits ones, also thanks Tony, those photos are very useful and show the details I was unsure of, they are certainly of use. Looks an interesting place, Is the museum still going?

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

Very impressed so far. Any chance of warwell and warflat modern versions for those of us who don't fancy the Genesis/Matador offerings?

Hello,

Thanks, yes I have in development a modern warwell, (referred to as post 2003) but I am currently working on the bogie situation as I don't have any works drawings for them.

As for the modern warflats, I am currently leaving them for Genesis as some of my range overlaps with theirs so won't want to have too many products the same. Also I don't have any drawings for these currently.

Hope this is of use, please stay tuned for developments regarding the post 2003 warwells.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

The Museum of Army Transport at Beverley closed in 2003 and the stock was disposed of to various military installations. The ramp wagon went to COD Bicester which is not accessible to the public.

Tony

Hello,

Thanks for that Tony, shame it looked an interesting place to visit. Do you have any other photos of exhibits there as I am sure they would fit in with the theme of this thread, and I am sure many people would be interested in seeing them. That is of course if you want to. You never know you might inspire my next product/ design.

Thanks

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Just read the results of the RMweb/MREmag polls found here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/wishlist_result/2012_Results_Summary_00.pdf

And the Warflat wagons gained more votes than BR Semaphore signals! With the Warwells closely behind on 150 Votes.

Quick news update, Work is slowly progressing on the Ramp wagon diorama, and there is a possibility that the Warflats, rectanks and PFA's could be available for sale in the next 2-3 weeks.

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

The Museum of Army Transport at Beverley closed in 2003 and the stock was disposed of to various military installations. The ramp wagon went to COD Bicester which is not accessible to the public.

Tony

It had to close when it was discovered that the roof of the museum was in a dangerous state. There simply was not enough cash to repair it.