3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello,

I have today been doing some costing of the crane incase I realise it as one of my kits under the Wild Boar Models name, as this kit will not be cheap and requires a large number of parts from 2 printing companies and an etch company, I am considering releasing it as a boxed kit inclusive of all printed parts mentioned in a previous post, the etches, wheels and bearings (10 axles and 20 bearings per kit) and any instructions. The kit in this form is do able for £150 and would only require rigging (i.e thread or wire), and painting + maybe transfers (TBC). I am not at a point to take orders but, I would be grateful of any expressions of interest to see whether it is worth me investing a fair sum of my money in an inital production run of approximately 5 models. Please bear in mind that the material used will prominently be polyamide and will hopefully be slightly smoother than that of the prototype shown. I shall see about transfers if their is sufficient demand, also I may be able to produce the later build variants that went to the LNER and the remaining SR cranes (as well as the Longmoor crane!),

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

To confirm the crane will be OO, the N gauge one if released would be via County Rolling Stock. The OO one mentioned above will be Wild Boar Models.

I now have most of the gears in their approximate location and will keep a look out for more precise information,

Below shows the file at version 118 or Test Print 2 stage.

post-13109-0-82722300-1378764919_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-28905200-1378764924_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-29944400-1378764928_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

Hello Paul,

Cheers, producing the kit how I stated above will be a big learning curve to me but will hopefully allow me to make it and other kits more detailed and more complete.

Interestingly the Peter Tatlow quotes the last of the crane type I have modelled, as finishing service in April 1988.

Thanks,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

Today 2/3 of the crane test print 2 turned up simultaneously from I.materialse and Shapeways. I therefore have the majority of the crane but am waiting on the weight relieving bogies, pulley arms and propping girders etc. All the parts received today appear to have turned out very well especially given the fact that I ordered them Sunday night/ Monday morning (very early morning). The match wagon, carriage and crab appear to have printed far more smoothly than previously and feature more detail, the first print of the jib is promising but does have noticeable layering down the side, this may be due to the large nature of the part being hurried for the priority service (two of my parrots suffered the same problem when ordered under the same circumstance but the normal speed production run did not). The FUD cylinders and jib trolley are sharp prints and the cylinders push fit into the crab (recommended to be glued though), the box seemed a bit of over kill for a fret only a couple of centimetres square. The main kits so far has been test run on the main layout and has been running okay especially when consideration is given to the awful back to backs on the axles I modified and have yet to sort, the main problem however was caused by my makeshift bogie to keep the distance between the match wagon and main crane (a ratio diamond frame bogie with NEM couplers blue tacked onto it, a combination of the coupling falling off and it being too light). I will now wait until next week for the arrival of the other parts to give it a thorough testing.

Please find my awful quality photos below.

post-13109-0-20582600-1379021782_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-25606900-1379021796_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-04709800-1379021809_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 9

Hello Everyone,

HST FAN, thanks for you interest, at present I haven't managed to get any more work done on the container flats as the I am still in doubt over a few parts of it such as the spacing of the lugs for different size containers, I still want to produce it, but it has taken a back seat. As for new kits, I may have a few kits on the horizon that break from my 3D printing, these are to be confirmed however. The next project after the crane will be to finish off the Perch and the rest of the LWRT. However I am open to ideas, also the BEP will hopefully be out shortly as I will be recieving prices (and hopefully ordering the prototype) next week.

This afternoon I have drawn up some of the cast plates for the side of the crane, and I am wondering if the text and detail is too small to etch? I am not to concerned if not all of it is legible but would some of it still be readable?

I have included a scale for reference, each segment on the left hand line is 4mm

post-13109-0-76386700-1379177882.png

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

For anyone who may be considering ordering anything from shapeways at the minute (your own design or one for sale) there is a 20% off code given on there website for the following materials

Alumide,

Polished Alumide

White Strong & Flexible (WSF)

White Strong & Flexible Polished

Elasto Plastic

However it only lasts until the 20th and is only valid once.

Normal disclaimers, no personal gain, just thought it may be useful (will be to me when I place an order soon). 

Who will be the first of us to do working coach gangway bellows in Elasto Plastic?

Hope this helps,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello WBF,

It's not always easy to predict what detail will etch successfully.

Theoretically, the minimum definition is equal to the thickness of the material - so 5thou brass can etch finer detail than 10thou brass.  For your name plates, as structural strength is not an issue, I try 5 thou and see how they come out.

cheers

Ben A.

On 5 thou I suspect you are going to be disappointed - 2 thou maybe. But you'll still get the 'sense' of the writing being there so if you have the detail you might as well put it on.

Alan

Cheers Alan,

Do you know anywhere who does etching that fine? PPD only do don't to about 0.2mm or 8 thou (ish) that I can see, possibly someone like PH Designs?

Thanks,

Wild Boar Fell

Cheers Alan,

Do you know anywhere who does etching that fine? PPD only do don't to about 0.2mm or 8 thou (ish) that I can see, possibly someone like PH Designs?

Thanks,

Wild Boar Fell

I've done 2 thou or thereabouts via PPD for one thing. I think Bill is right however that to get the sharpness you need at that resolution you would be looking at Chemix (aka Precision Micro and now Meggitt or some such as they've been taken over again)

Alan

Hello Everyone,

Thanks everyone who has given me advise about etchings, I am now finishing the designs and will contact a supplier for a quote,

on the kit front, I have decided that I will now make the kit suitable for the following cranes:

4x GWR 1939 order

2x SR 1939 order

But now also

2x LNER 1942 order,

Therefore I am now adding some extra parts for the chimney gear and WR bogie tool tray,

I therefore wish to provide the following options regarding match wagons,

GWR 2 standard + 4 extra tool boxes,

SR/ LNER (as built) 2 standard tool boxes,

and

SR 1 standard tool box + 2 bogies (fixed),

however I will have to be informed in advance as it would be too expensive to provide all the boxes and bogies as separate parts.

The idea for adding the LNER option is because I have seen photos of one of the ex LNER cranes in Lined BR black late crest livery (Working on the LMR as it was transferred there) in the 60's, it would therefore allow me to model both LMR cranes. Somehow I doubt both will fit on the Boar though!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 1

Now for something completely different,

well sort of!

I am having a break from designing the crane as the design is in lock down awaiting delivery of the rest of the prototype (stuck in a warehouse in Germany at the moment).

I have therefore decided to get cracking again on the LWRT, so I have added some bogie mounts to the wagon and altered the rail runners, The wagon should accept cambrian fabricated Y25's. I have also started on the stabling vehicle for one end of the rake, so here is how far I have got.

post-13109-0-90118200-1379425970_thumb.jpg

The prototype BEP is also on order now.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Now for something completely different,

well sort of!

I am having a break from designing the crane as the design is in lock down awaiting delivery of the rest of the prototype (stuck in a warehouse in Germany at the moment).

I have therefore decided to get cracking again on the LWRT, so I have added some bogie mounts to the wagon and altered the rail runners, The wagon should accept cambrian fabricated Y25's. I have also started on the stabling vehicle for one end of the rake, so here is how far I have got.

attachicon.gifYEA STABLING 005.jpg

The prototype BEP is also on order now.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Is this the Porpoise Chute wagon?

Ian_B

• Like 1

Hello Ian,

The part I am currently working on is the Stabling wagons which is where the crane is kept during transit/ storage and is at the front of the train (when laying track), the chute (Porpoise) is at the very back.

Hopefully these photos from PB's site should help.

Stabling wagon

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/perchporpoise/h53dceed0#h53dceed0

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/perchporpoise/h53dc62da#h53dc62da

Chute wagon

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/perchporpoise/h53dccf4a#h53dccf4a

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/perchporpoise/h53dcb1a0#h53dcb1a0

The main frames of the wagon appears to be common to all bar the power wagon as the deployment end of the chute wagon.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1