3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Everyone,

Not a Catfish (reminds me I want to get some of the Cambrian ones to go with this), but has been mentioned on here before (but not in OO).

Item two, other end of the spectrum so to speak.

Unfortunately the bottom one isn't from the Premier line, however I plan to look into their stuff at some point after I finish the Claughton I started a while ago. You are however on the right theme.

As for printing at Warley, I didn't notice any I recongnised on layouts, however the Z or T scale society had alot of prints on their stand as well as their being a stand of 3D printed road vehicles (The 3mm ones that were in MR magazine a while ago).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Like those....

Forgive the hijack WILD boar, but I think I should have posted these on here previously. It shows off your skill and hard work in creating the containers.

post-1261-0-20347100-1386708850_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-96328600-1386708974_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-27517400-1386708993.jpg

post-1261-0-50298400-1386709008.jpg

post-1261-0-77730300-1386709032_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-12915100-1386709049_thumb.jpg

They turned out brilliantly in my opinion. Big thanks to that wild boar...

• Like 10

Hello RS4,

Many thanks for posting your photos, you have made a superb job of them. They certainly put my two boxes to shame which haven't even been numbered yet.

Strangely the binliners have generated alot of interest over the last week or so, but i'm not sure why.

A quick look at the drawings shows they aren't to difficult to scale either.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

Hello RS4,

Many thanks for posting your photos, you have made a superb job of them. They certainly put my two boxes to shame which haven't even been numbered yet.

Strangely the binliners have generated alot of interest over the last week or so, but i'm not sure why.

The newly released "Big Freight 10" DVD has a piece on the GM-Roxby binliner trains (apparently part 1 of 2 or 3). That may be a reason.

Any progress on the gypsum boxes?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hello Mick,

That may explain it then,

No progress to report yet on the Gypsum boxes yet (does anyone know who built the older two variants of boxes? The newer ones are built by tectainer).

However some news on the container front see below link which relates to my second puzzle above.

Thanks goes to 'Satan's Goldfish' for his great assistance with this project.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/23763-warren-lane/page-97

More news still to come.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi you Wild boar you.

I'm sure someone out there has the full story, but from my searching around...

It appears that at first GBRF used the gypsum boxes that ran on the 2 wheel flats. It looks like two of these will fit on an FEA. Early photos of the working show the gaps in the train caused by only being able to fit 2 boxes on an FEA (one at each end of the wagon).

I assume the s-kits box is this version since 3 won't fit on an FEA (I bought 6 as a test since I was ordering some RHTT stuff from George).

So with a lot of gaps on the trains I assume someone ordered some slightly shorter boxes - the trains now run without any gaps on the flats. I'm only guessing here, but I'd assume that the old containers are still used - that's where the variation comes from ?

Anyone care to confirm or deny this ?

I've glued the s-kits boxes together and I'll be spraying them shortly. Still keen on the 3d print option though since making the current train load wouldn't be possible as the containers don't fit.

Photo of 3 containers on a Dapol FEA (albeit a FL one)

post-1261-0-48456700-1387114076_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi you Wild boar you.

I'm sure someone out there has the full story, but from my searching around...

It appears that at first GBRF used the gypsum boxes that ran on the 2 wheel flats. It looks like two of these will fit on an FEA. Early photos of the working show the gaps in the train caused by only being able to fit 2 boxes on an FEA (one at each end of the wagon).

I assume the s-kits box is this version since 3 won't fit on an FEA (I bought 6 as a test since I was ordering some RHTT stuff from George).

So with a lot of gaps on the trains I assume someone ordered some slightly shorter boxes - the trains now run without any gaps on the flats. I'm only guessing here, but I'd assume that the old containers are still used - that's where the variation comes from ?

Anyone care to confirm or deny this ?

I've glued the s-kits boxes together and I'll be spraying them shortly. Still keen on the 3d print option though since making the current train load wouldn't be possible as the containers don't fit.

Photo of 3 containers on a Dapol FEA (albeit a FL one)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I believe the S-kits boxes are too long - they should be a standard 20' ISO fitting. There was a similar problem of length with the RHTT modules - they were a shade over a scale 20'

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hi Mick

It could be that...they may be wrong ?

What has me confused is this picture :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_livings/7938365100/

Looks like an FEA with a container each end with insufficient space for a similar container inbetween.

I may need to wait and see if Matthew develops a 3D print ? Here's hoping.

Regards

Nick

These are the shorter wagons that were built for Tiphook, and leased to British Gypsum; they would originally have gone under the guise of 'PFA', but are now 'KFA', I believe. Why they opted for a design with so much wasted space is beyond me; perhaps they originally intended to use longer containers?

These are the shorter wagons that were built for Tiphook, and leased to British Gypsum; they would originally have gone under the guise of 'PFA', but are now 'KFA', I believe. Why they opted for a design with so much wasted space is beyond me; perhaps they originally intended to use longer containers?

Could they have been the easiest value for money option at the time? Use an existing design even though there's wasted space so they have a wagon straight away while something more appropriate is developed? Out of interest, are they based on the FIA, they look very similar?

I've done a bit more digging; there were thirty of these wagons, which DBS bought from British Gypsum a couple of years ago; not long after, DBS lost the contract to GBRf, so I'm not sure what became of the wagons. They're not the most useful type for general container work.

If they are similar to the more common types then they seem to be following a continental practice with the sizing. FIAs and mega frets are able to hold a 20ft and 30ft box at the most, a single 40 with gaps at each end, or a pair of 20s with either a gap in the middle or at the ends. 30s not being too common, the length almost makes sense when they're used with 45ft boxes but there's still wasted space. TBH these types of design have always confused me a bit.

Could they have been the easiest value for money option at the time? Use an existing design even though there's wasted space so they have a wagon straight away while something more appropriate is developed? Out of interest, are they based on the FIA, they look very similar?

I think they actually predated the IFA/FIA design; dating from the late 1980s, IIRC. They were built specifically for this traffic, and not for general container traffic, which is why I wonder if British Gypsum intended to use a specially design box.

The IFA/FIA/IKA/FKA family are designed to carry a range of non-ISO Swapbodies- the most efficent combination in terms of deck space is two 7.3m boxes, a popular combination in Germany. Sadly, UK-German intermodal freight never took off to an appreciable degree.