3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello All,

Just looking at some of my photos of flats, the flats in the below link appear very similar (to me) to the FCA's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_livings/7932872798/lightbox/

but a close up of them I took at Carlisle shows they have fixed mounting pins (a bit like the Hornby KFA's) so I wonder if that may be a reason, I.e the 30ft pins stop the 20ft box fitting in the centre?

post-13109-0-84174000-1387132599_thumb.jpg

Just a theory,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

Hello All,

Just looking at some of my photos of flats, the flats in the below link appear very similar (to me) to the FCA's

but a close up of them I took at Carlisle shows they have fixed mounting pins (a bit like the Hornby KFA's) so I wonder if that may be a reason, I.e the 30ft pins stop the 20ft box fitting in the centre?

DBS currently use FCA's on the FFPS-Newbiggin gypsum traffic - definitely three boxes fitted. I think that when 2x20' boxes are loaded to a 60' flat, they're normally at either end to minimise any weight distribution issues.

Cheers,

Mick

Hello All,

attachicon.gifDSC09639s.jpg

Just a theory,

Wild Boar Fell

Those ones are FCAs; the ex-BGL ones rejoice in the name 'FBA'. Most seem to be abandoned (sorry, 'stored') in York:-

http://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/F-TOPSCode/FBA/i-TMnMxRp

The road salt traffic was originally handled on former Boplate and Condor flats, then on FCA wagons (the EWS/DBS 'standard' twin-wagon flat) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mick,

Thanks for that, a while back you stated that 2 variants of the containers were 7/8 heigh, just to clarify is that 7 foot 8 or seven eighths of full height?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

Found the post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50852-3d-printed-warwell-now-includes-other-wagons-military-industrial/?view=findpost&p=1103845

I think it means ribs that are 7/8 of the full height (with a horizontal panel across the top)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Cheers for the link Brian, interesting looking wagons, individual design rather than the usual fixed pairs.......apart from KFAs.

Yes the usual reason for leaving a middle gap is to even weight distribution. The FFA/FGA flats are a good historical example for this; some started bowing in the middle due to not being loaded evenly or having a 40ft box on them with no 20 at the other end. Subsequent designs like the FSA/FTA sets were designed to help combat this. Hornby/Triang FGAs managed to follow the prototype quite well with that problem! It may be something worth looking out for with the first of your FFA/FGA test prints when they're ready too.

Edit: there's a whole list of complex rules for loading containers and what routes they can go on, I'll have to see if I still have a link to it.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

Hello Matt, 

Sounds good, I look forward to any photos of them finished.

I have managed to get a little more done on the Gypsum box today with more detail and some alterations (fortunately there are no locking bars to contend with).

For comparison yesterdays effort is shown in blue, I think the new one is alot closer when compared to these photos 

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/The-Humble-Box/Non-BIC-coded-bulk-containers/Gypsum-Containers-British/

post-13109-0-23178200-1387208912_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-79850800-1387208914_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-60926100-1387208916_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-30599800-1387208920_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-00341100-1387208924_thumb.jpg

If anyone can spot anything please let me know. (I know there are some little fins missing off the roof).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edit; after seeing pictures 4 and 5 who now wants battenberg?

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 2

Cheers for the link Brian, interesting looking wagons, individual design rather than the usual fixed pairs.......apart from KFAs.

Yes the usual reason for leaving a middle gap is to even weight distribution. The FFA/FGA flats are a good historical example for this; some started bowing in the middle due to not being loaded evenly or having a 40ft box on them with no 20 at the other end. Subsequent designs like the FSA/FTA sets were designed to help combat this. Hornby/Triang FGAs managed to follow the prototype quite well with that problem! It may be something worth looking out for with the first of your FFA/FGA test prints when they're ready too.

Edit: there's a whole list of complex rules for loading containers and what routes they can go on, I'll have to see if I still have a link to it.

I do wonder if they'd intended to use a non-standard container originally; when looking for photos of these wagons, I happened upon some photos of a 60' flat with two 'Hoyer' silver containers on it. These containers didn't fill the whole deck, but left a gap that was too short for a 20' box.  These look as though they could have been 7.1m or 7.3m swap-bodies, rather than any sort of ISO box; might BGL have intended to use this length of box originally?

• Like 1

I do wonder if they'd intended to use a non-standard container originally; when looking for photos of these wagons, I happened upon some photos of a 60' flat with two 'Hoyer' silver containers on it. These containers didn't fill the whole deck, but left a gap that was too short for a 20' box.  These look as though they could have been 7.1m or 7.3m swap-bodies, rather than any sort of ISO box; might BGL have intended to use this length of box originally?

The Hoyer containers that worked from Tees Dock to Workington were non standard length ISO containers, the fixing and lifting points can be seen in from one end.

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

The flat data panel containers, painted up and with their first side of Transfers setting. Links below to the prototypes they're loosely based on as a guide:

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part1/images/tphu4528373.jpg

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part1/images/mmm/gstu3901944.jpg

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part1/images/mmm/icsu4519770.jpg

post-9147-0-80640400-1387289193_thumb.jpg

Just noticed the TIPHOOK logo looks a bit off in the pic, but that's just an annoying trick of the light.

• Like 1

Hello Matt, 

Sounds good, I look forward to any photos of them finished.

I have managed to get a little more done on the Gypsum box today with more detail and some alterations (fortunately there are no locking bars to contend with).

For comparison yesterdays effort is shown in blue, I think the new one is alot closer when compared to these photos 

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/The-Humble-Box/Non-BIC-coded-bulk-containers/Gypsum-Containers-British/

attachicon.gif18a.jpg

attachicon.gif18b.jpg

attachicon.gif18c.jpg

attachicon.gif18d.jpg

attachicon.gif18e.jpg

If anyone can spot anything please let me know. (I know there are some little fins missing off the roof).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edit; after seeing pictures 4 and 5 who now wants battenberg?

These Gypsum containers look excellent, very accurate. Are you making the four types or just one? Will you be making them to order?

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your photos of your 80's boxes, You have done a good job with the transfers too, and the patch painting on the blue box. Only thing I can think to add is some black squares to represent the forklift lifting points?

Armley Road,

Thanks for your comments, for now I plan to make the 3 main variants, 

Full height,

Shorter 7 rib

Shorter 9 rib.

Hopefully they will be available if they turn out okay.

Which is the other variant as I may have missed them?

Also I found this yesterday which proves they don't all have to be blue!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your photos of your 80's boxes, You have done a good job with the transfers too, and the patch painting on the blue box. Only thing I can think to add is some black squares to represent the forklift lifting points?

Cheers WBF. Good idea on fork lifting points. There's a black square on the Genstar prototype that I've been thinking of adding too.

I have art work ready to print for the next batch of these boxes when they're ready :)

• Like 1

Hello Matt,

Armley Road,

Thanks for your comments, for now I plan to make the 3 main variants, 

Full height,

Shorter 7 rib

Shorter 9 rib.

Hopefully they will be available if they turn out okay.

Which is the other variant as I may have missed them?

Also I found this yesterday which proves they don't all have to be blue!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi Wild Boar, that is great news. As you may know, DBS don't tend to have the "Tectainers" but more often the old types. Here are some images of the four types I have seen, do you know when this projected would be completed (ready for sale)? :boast:

Thanks for those Armley Road,

Glad I hadn't missed another major variant, thinking about it, it is probably best to just cut some thin (maybe 20thou) plasticard or even printed card to represent the panel on variant 3.

Completion will hopefully be around the end of January or possibly February but may be subject to change.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for those Armley Road,

Glad I hadn't missed another major variant, thinking about it, it is probably best to just cut some thin (maybe 20thou) plasticard or even printed card to represent the panel on variant 3.

Completion will hopefully be around the end of January or possibly February but may be subject to change.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Looking good - better start saving up....

5 thou would probably be better for the panel

Cheers,

Mick

Boxes all decal'd up and door bars fitted. i'll try and get a picture of them tomorrow in something other than the radient glow of an energy-saver bulb and posed in some kind of fitting manor.

The only thing that lets these boxes down is my shaky hands trying to fit the door bars. It was all going so well until that point! Smashing stuff WBF, cheers again for drawing these up.

(Dear Mr Wild Boar Fell, please oh please oh please could we have a version with moulded on door bars so modelling biffs such as myself can't mess them up too much at the final stage? Kindest regards, the dark lord of the aquatic underworld.)

• Like 1

Hi Satan's Goldfish,

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing those photos. I shall look at using moulded on bars on the Warren spec 'lightweight' boxes then, as I have been impressed with the result of my latest test print and how much detail on that has worked using a comparable material (Below). 

So to follow on from a previously dropped hint, I have now scaled down the binliner containers to N gauge, (Should these be the Mini-Manny's?) due to popular request. I have done them in WSF to keep them a sensible price and I have to say they have worked better than expected with very little of the file requiring mods after scaling down from OO. I have test fitted them on a Megafret flat to check the scale and the feet line up with the mounting holes which is re assuring however they will need to be stuck down to any flat (such as Voznack's neat printed KFA's).

post-13109-0-97278800-1387396573_thumb.jpg

OO for comparison, it still surprises me just how small N actually is.

post-13109-0-74134300-1387396649_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-32274100-1387396674.jpg

Seen here on a Dapol Megafret (Not accurate I know but the only thing I could beg, borrow or steal at short term notice).

post-13109-0-15986900-1387396775_thumb.jpg

As the prints appear okay I have made them available to order.

Back to OO soon!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5