3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Thanks for them Satan's Goldfish,

Hopefully mine should be turning up tomorrow, are those the side loaders I spy in the background?

Finally how easy was it to fit the magnets to the blue box, in my experience the material is very tough.

Now I best get on with the other variants shouldn't I.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks for them Satan's Goldfish,

Hopefully mine should be turning up tomorrow, are those the side loaders I spy in the background?

Finally how easy was it to fit the magnets to the blue box, in my experience the material is very tough.

Now I best get on with the other variants shouldn't I.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I really should create a posing model, it would be much better than a bare base with plugs in the background!

The mod to make it crane compatible was easy enough, the plastic is soft enough to get through easily with a hand drill and tapping a thread was easier than old Hornby boxes.

Yes those are painted side loaders in the background ;) looking forward to the next varients :)

Now for something completely different....                                                                                                                                                 (Apologies to Monty Python fans).

In the parcel that arrived today along with the 80's containers (which I will try and get photos of over the weekend) was this, the first test print of the YEA Perch. My first impression was of how huge it actually is the frames alone are nearly the same as a KFA over buffers. The test print is devoid of the rollers or buffer as I have decided to make these separate parts to make it more detailed and allow me to fit a mesh floor more easily. The print though well packet and supported with polystyrene cut to fit was bowed when it arrived (headstocks above centre) so a course of applying weight in the form of containers and light reading (GWR Goods wagons and Railway Breakdown cranes part 2) to the partially supported has helped straighten them. The wagon will run on the Cambrian fabricated Y25's but appears to sit slightly too high at the minute. In the fullness of time I plan to get a small rake of these as sometimes seen, however due to the cost of the frames alone it is unlikely that I will carry on with the other vehicles in the LWRT for the time being.

Anyway photo time,

post-13109-0-51813600-1387578217_thumb.jpg

Whilst it appears high the holes for the buffers seem to line up with the centre of the 08's buffers

post-13109-0-63520600-1387578322_thumb.jpg

My thanks goes to Lydd Rail for his material supplied in assistance of this project.

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 4

As an electronic engineer I'd like to say it's not as bad as it looks......but we are generally the worst for this and do things with mains that normally isn't advised (don't look in my workshop) ....

Anywho, as an adition to the above pictures I think that Tiphook 40 is going to find itself permanently fixed to that trailer.

As an electronic engineer I'd like to say it's not as bad as it looks......but we are generally the worst for this and do things with mains that normally isn't advised (don't look in my workshop) ....

Anywho, as an adition to the above pictures I think that Tiphook 40 is going to find itself permanently fixed to that trailer.

Agreed, I'm also an electronic engineer and this looks pretty standard for my lab!  It all depends on what's at the other end of those cables.  If they all go to mobile phone chargers, nothing is getting overloaded.  If each one is going to a kettle then you might blow a fuse when you decide you want 2 cups of tea simultaneously. :)

Agreed, I'm also an electronic engineer and this looks pretty standard for my lab!  It all depends on what's at the other end of those cables.  If they all go to mobile phone chargers, nothing is getting overloaded.  If each one is going to a kettle then you might blow a fuse when you decide you want 2 cups of tea simultaneously. :)

Exactly. 2.6A when the timer is on, 2.1A when it's not......I've done much worse.

Merry Christmas WBF, looking forward to more good prints in the new year.

Hello Neil,

Thanks for your post, I am hoping to have the first batch of the cranes ready for approximately Easter now, most of it is now ready but the cab needs a bit more detailing to finish it. Batch 1 is fully allocated now, but a second batch is a high probability which will probably follow a month or two after the first batch. I am now taking expressions of interest for these on my website.

The match wagons have now been drawn up to cover all the variants that I am giving (1 more than previously after I discovered the SR wagons have the brakes on the other axle to the LNER cranes). These are illustrated below. The western region had between 3 and 4 of these cranes depending on time.

post-13109-0-39216900-1388146914_thumb.jpg

From left to right, SR Modified (Extra bogies), LNER as built, SR as Built, GWR Modified (Extra tool boxes)

post-13109-0-23901900-1388146917_thumb.jpg

Reverse order of above.

Hope this was of use,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Happy New Year Everyone!

Thanks AR, yes I have thanks but have been far too busy over the last few days.

I have however finally managed to get all the 3D printed parts finalised for the crane and most of the first batch ordered, There is still the etches to finalise and then the final parts to be secured. Tagged on the back of the order however is the prototypes for all of the Gypsum containers as I got a chance tonight to finish the detailing on the modern 9 rib variant. See below.

post-13109-0-19318400-1388791734_thumb.jpg

All being well these will hopefully arrive by the end of the month, once I have had time to check and test them, hopefully I can then make them available.

Anyone who has tried contacting me over the last week or so I shall endeavour to reply to yourselves over the next few days and I sorry about the wait.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

EDIT: Sorry forgot image.

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 6

.... the relieving bogies...

Also does anyone know how these pivot as there appears to be a second pivot in the centre of the bogie?

I realise that this is far too late to be much use, but (unfortunately) I have only just stumbled across this thread and become aware of this very impressive imminent model!

The RBs have a spherical bearing at the centre of the bogie, as well as the vertical pivot at the crane headstock. The cantilever beam is secured to the headstock by two vertical pins (not a series of fingers as shown on your early drawings - just the top and bottom ones) in such a way as it can swing from side to side but is rigid vertically. The other end of the girder has effectively a semispherical cup in its lower surface, which rests on a sperical bearing mounted on the bogie on a vertical shaft. To transfer the necessary proportion of the crane's weight to the bogie, the spherical bearing is raised by turning a nut at the upper end of the vertical shaft using a handwheel and chain-driven gear train on the side of the RB. This has the effect of jacking up the crane using the bogie and transfers the necessary weight from the crane axles to the bogie axles.

We have a series of photos on the Breakdown Crane Association website which show one of the RBs of the Nene Valley's R&R crane (the oldest preserved crane in the UK to have RBs) being overhauled. These RBs are different to the later 45-tonners' but only in detail, the principle of operation is the same. You may find the series of photos starting here http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.php/Ransomes-and-Rapier/ADRR95207/ADRR95207-Renovation/29-Tail-end-bogie-lifted-off-wheelsets of interest; one photo in particular showns clearly the top of the vertical shaft and the substantial screw thread which carried the weight of the crane.

Apropos the jib runners, it may be of passing interest to note that the first six of these at least (those for the 4 GW and 2 SR cranes of 1939) were identical as built and supplied (all matched the GW pattern) and the SR cut some of the tool boxes off quite soon after receipt. There is one photo I know of showing the SR cranes with the un-modified jib runner, in a contemporary book.

If anyone wants more detailed information about the boilers fitted to these crane, this thread http://www.bdca.org.uk/forumtwo/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94 covering the overhaul of the boiler from one of the SR pair has many photos.

The 2 SR, 4 GWR, and 2 LNER cranes were all essentially identical as built. All had wheels, axles, axleboxes, buffers, and boiler fittings supplied by the GWR, Hopwood pattern boilers supplied by Cochran of Annan, and the jib runners were built by  R Y Pickering of Wishaw (the two LNER cranes had outside valve chests). The subsequent very similar cranes for the MoS and SR had many detail differences, including hydraulic loading systems for the RBs, outside valve chests, and no longer used GWR running gear and boiler fittings. The final SR crane uniquely ran on BFB cast steel wheels supplied by the SR.

The model looks outstanding and I look forward very much to seeing it in the flesh!

Roger Cooke

The Breakdown Crane Association

www.bdca.org.uk

Edited by craneman

Thanks Neil & Roger for your post,

Neil, I have a few photos of the prototype that was in MR, most of which I have posted earlier in the thread but will post them again. Unfortunately my photography isn't anywhere near as good as Model Rail's Chris Nevard who kindly took the photo that was in MR. The photos below are of one of the prototypes and don't have the etches (+ aren't painted that well).

To answer a question from elsewhere 6 of the 8 cranes my kits cover are preserved though one is apparently up for sale (Carnforth), the others are at the following locations, GCR as below, Flour Mill works, NYMR, Swanage and the Bluebell Railway.

post-13109-0-22893300-1389912683_thumb.jpg

Preserved RS1097/45 on the GCR last Sunday! To the left of shot the CS 76t Crane can just be seen too.

post-13109-0-72607300-1389912832_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-96770000-1389912946_thumb.jpg

Not sure where the others have got too at the minute,

Roger, Thanks for that information and for explaining how the relieving bogies work. There is a photo of 1561S as deliver on pg 340 of 'Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume 2' which may be the one you are thinking of, with both its large tool boxes? 

Some of the main printed parts for batch 1 are due for delivery tomorrow, covering the jib runner, carriage and jibs, and a prototype of the revise crab. 

Also arriving tomorrow should be the 3 different Gypsum containers, once these are checked I can hopefully make them available. Unfortunately I won't be able to check them until next weekend at the earliest though.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell.

• Like 4

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update, the parts have now arrived and I will be checking over the crane in person soon, however thanks to digital cameras and skype, I have now been able to check the gypsum boxes and I am very happy with how they have turned out,

Firstly the older reduced height box,

post-13109-0-95344100-1390052784_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-51795000-1390052785.jpg

Full height older boxes,

post-13109-0-50838500-1390052786_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-09464200-1390052787.jpg

Modern lower height containers,

post-13109-0-58610700-1390052787_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-65456700-1390052788_thumb.jpg

I am quite impressed by the amount of detail that has worked on the modern box and the fork lift hole basis printing okay

Below shows them all on a Hornby KFA, (the centre container is sitting on the two centre pins which are moulded to the deck, hence why it isn't level). 

post-13109-0-00952700-1390052789.jpg

My thanks must also go to the photographer for the above images.

All 3 are now on my site.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My thanks must also go to the photographer for the above images.

All 3 are now on my site.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I can't seem to find them on the shapeways site - do you have a link?

Cheers,

Mick